Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We can go on for pages with this stuff but I think the OP is really worried about is his current truck going to be so dangerous he can’t use it and as such has he made a serious financial mistake. Read my second post where I address what I think are his concerns.

I understand there are situations where folks need to tow with something other than the ideal tow vehicle. And I advise accordingly but to suggest a 1ton dually is not superior to a 3/4 ton SRW strictly from a towing perspective is just wrong.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #22
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yes so you go from 4 wheels on the ground to 6 wheels. In my book that adds up to a third more rubber on the ground. Not to mention a wider stance.

There are a LOT of reasons that someone might go SRW but being a superior tow truck to a DRW is not one of them. Anyone that suggests an SRW is superior to a DRW strictly on towing is flat wrong.
James I never said that a SRW was a better TV than a DRW I have had both towing my 5th wheel and the DRW was just a little bet more stable at times in the wind but not that much. See I new if I said something it turns into a popcorn & Beer thing
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #23
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
relax, A 3/4 ton will be fine. You have it now, enjoy it.

You'll have plenty of power and if you use the truck for non rving you should get better mileage and a smoother ride.

if your truck drops a little too much just add air bags. and next time you need to replace tires just go up a next size.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Your experience obviously varies from mine. But I towed with new stock trucks I owned and in the mountains. So I got really good tests between the two. While both would pull fine there was a major difference on stability both in curves and braking under load. Only stands to reason a wider stance dually would be more stable and that 1/3 more rubber on the road will stop better. Remember pulling power is not the only measure of performance. I will say again it isn’t how quick you can get it up to speed that matters, it’s how quick and stable you get it stopped. After all we aren’t driving race cars!!
My experience varies from yours again. The tires on me 20 wheels are 9.5 inches wide for a total of 38 inches of rubber on the road. My E450 mayor home the tires are 6.5 inches wide for a total of 39 inches of rubber on the road. Since the front tires do most of the heavy stopping I doubt there is much difference in stopping between my 20 inch wheels and my MH.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
See what I am pulling with? There is a method to the madness. 2017 RAM 3500 Laramie Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, TST TPMS.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have towed my camper with a 3/4 ton a 1T SRW and a DRW so right now I and looking for some more
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
My experience varies from yours again. The tires on me 20 wheels are 9.5 inches wide for a total of 38 inches of rubber on the road. My E450 mayor home the tires are 6.5 inches wide for a total of 39 inches of rubber on the road. Since the front tires do most of the heavy stopping I doubt there is much difference in stopping between my 20 inch wheels and my MH.
Lynwood
I had a motorhome before the Mountaineer myself. But I wouldn’t compare that top heavy beast to any pickup truck. Personally I am glad to be rid of it talk about high maintenance!!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok so once again this has become a beer and popcorn thread and I am right in the middle of it.

Y’all drive whatever you want. And give whatever advice to newbie you want. I am confident in my position and see no need to defend it further.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #29
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
Alright guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm headed back to the truck dealership in the morning to see how much it will hurt to jump to the 3500 SRW. Depending on the outcome, I'll post something here.
Thanks again
Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #30
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Ok for what it is worth I will add my two cents. I have a 2000 F350 SRW and a 2018 DRW F350. Big difference in trucks due to the build dates. The SRW has lots of extra aftermarket goodies on it like injectors, transmission, airbags and tuning/exhaust brake plus more. The new DRW is stock. No comparison between the two rigs towing my 16K 3160. Corners are stress free along with better stability and braking. Now I hate to admit my new truck has a big problem (engine knocks) but it is being replaced with a new 2019. The dealership has gotten me a 2016 SRW one ton while I wait for the new truck. I did go by the scales in all three trucks and even though I am not overweight on any single axle the DRW is the only one that is legal to carry the weight the the Fifthwheel pin puts on your truck. The 2016 SRW handled the unit a bit better than my old 2000 but it was still not even close to the feeling of confidence that the DRW truck gives me.

So after that I will say I towed my 3160 for a few years and the truck did ok overall but I don't really like pushing the limit for too long as I worry about the odds catching up to me. I am not thrilled with the rougher ride from the dually but it was bought to tow not to be a daily cruiser. Drive sensible and with a bit of luck you won't have to test your 3/4 tons limited ability and it will probably do just fine. SRW one tons and DRW one toned are totally different beasts.

Tom Marty
Old 08-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #31
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
remmember back in the day GVWR

I remember growing up in the 70s 80s and even in the 90s , people bought rvs on what they could afford and towed them with what they had , it may of been a big old impala with a big block motor or some brand of pick up. throw some springs on it or air bags, a transmission cooler and maybe a different gear ratio and probably some 10 ply tires. don't ever recall of having any troubles, don't even remember any of our camping group even blowing tires. just saying, all this hype about tow rating
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wade
I pulled a 8,000 pound 27 foot 5er from Va to Yellowstone 15 years ago with a F150 with a 5.4 engine. That was a white knuckle experience. I watched all the Diesels go past me not knowing I had lost 30 % of my power at 8000 feet. When I slowly got back home I got myself a Diesel.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #33
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
tow vehicle

I tow a 2017 montana high country 310RE with a 2000 GMC sierra 2500 6.0 liter 7200 GVW 4.11 gear ratio 2WD and also with the air lift air bags with no problems at all. no I cant go 80 mph like the big diesel's and blow trailer tires but I can go 65-70 and it does a great job . My father had this truck new for the first six years and did nothing but towed with it, He towed a heavy 32 foot cardinal 5th wheel with 2 slides and a hitch weight of almost 3000lbs. the trailer was 14-15 thousand something. that's back when they made real campers. He towed that all over the country from coast to coast, I think he was only missing a couple states on one of those stick on maps you put on your rv showing where you been and never had any problems with they had a great time with it . still comments he would like to have it back when he see's it. Then I bought it and been towing with ever since with no issues with 122000 miles on it, besides the normal wear and tear stuff. And that old cardinal 5th wheel camper is still going today. its probably been towed 120000 miles on these rough roads we have. Now that's a camper, I should of saved a few more pennies and bought one of those, next time.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #34
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
towing

A lot of the trouble today is , is that people buy these big ass campers and they don't know how to drive. I'm a commercial truck driver i haul forest product's out of the woods to the mills and i need a special license to haul a 40-48 foot trailer. now you have these people that go out and buy a big tow vehicle a huge camper 38-44 feet , now probably longer with no experience and hey look at me go now. What's wrong with this picture
Old 08-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #35
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
When I was a kid my dad first pulled a 16’ canned ham with our Pontiac Catalina sedan. Then he got a olive green 69 Catalina wagon, tow package with a 427 (?) and we pulled a 26’ holiday traveler with a load leveling hitch and I got to drive that one at age 16 and I don’t remember worrying about loads or lack of power. Then we had a 72 Chevy caprice wagon, tow package with a 400 pulling a 28’ holiday rambler. I remember feeling under powered and the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico kicked it in the butt...barely made ration pass going 15 mph...but we made it. I wish my dad could see what towing with these modern diesels feels like these days. Lost him three years ago at age 92. He taught me a lot about driving and towing!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #36
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
After reading the other posts I didn't see anyone say that a SRW is superior to a DRW. This may have been construed but it is not down in print here. It is up to the individuals on whether they like an SRW or a DRW and how they handle according to individual preference. We don't need this thread to go wild with "Mines better than yours" comments! The only difference I have seen between the two is the wider stance and two more tires on the concrete or blacktop, aside from that they basically are the same.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #37
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I agree with Rondo 100% on that my TV is a 2018 Dodge 3500 SRW the only difference between DRW & SRW is 2 wheels I used to have a ton DRW the wife hated parking it so when we bout the new truck we got SRW same ever thing as the DRW same brakes, springs, air bags and 4:10 gear,s
How did you get 4:10 gears in a SRW unless you have a gasser?
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #38
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
Hey all, we just purchased a 2018 Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough tow vehicle. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Keystone Montana 3810MS
Dry weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365lbs
Hitch weight: 2745lbs

Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob
Did the dealer question your tow vehicles capacities when you bought the trailer? Our trailer dealer won't let you hitch up if the truck doesn't have the umph. If you are considering returning the trailer, it may work to your favor if they sold you something outside your ability to legally tow.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #39
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Did the dealer question your tow vehicles capacities when you bought the trailer? Our trailer dealer won't let you hitch up if the truck doesn't have the umph. If you are considering returning the trailer, it may work to your favor if they sold you something outside your ability to legally tow.
Yes, we had to fill out a form to show that we had enough truck. However, the for was only concerned with tow capacity. I brought up my concerns about payload to hitch weight, and they repeatedly told me I had nothing to be concerned with there. That my 2500 would easily handle the weight. Lesson learned
Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #40
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
If you only tow your RV than get the duly but if it's going to be driven to the store or shopping than a SRW is the better choice. Why does everyone forget the trailer has brakes. Folks act like they dont exist and the truck does all the stopping. I have pulled mine in all kinds of conditions and even snow and wind and rain without a problem. I have had to stop fast a couple times and the truck stayed straight as a arrow. Handled the trailer just fine.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote