Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
New 3850FL

Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not jinxing myself but we just got the loan check cut and I'm heading up to VA next Saturday to purchase a brand new, 2014 3850FL! Unfortunately, due to circumstances I won't be able to bring my charming cottage on wheels home, but will return April 5th to pick it up (hopefully with stackable washer dryer installed) and take it to lake Kerr for a week camping trip.

Two questions...

1. Do Montana's have a hollow bumper to store the sewer hose (and do they come with a sewer hose?)

2. Do the come with a drinking water purifier?

Our unit has the Paramount Package, Moving to Montana Package and Full-time Living Package.

Thanks! I'm really excited to be joining you all!

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The 3850FL does not have a bumper at all. There is about a four foot storage tube supposedly for the sewer hose beneath the living room slide area on the curb side of the rig. Be forewarned, unless Montana lengthened the storage tube, it will not hold a typical 15' hose (or at least it will not hold ours, a RhinoFlex). Your dealer should give you a starter kit with the rig that should include the sewer hose (if he doesn't, insist on it!) There is no water filter system from the factory on the rig. Congratulations on your selection of a floor plan which also caught our eye, and welcome to the forum!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thanks for the response, Bingo! You've got the same rig, with a few more bells & whistles. You also have the same TV we have, but a few years newer. The dealer says we'll have absolutely no problems towing the 3850FL. It's gonna be close, though. Our Dually is gas, not diesel. The fifth wheel tow capacity is 15,200 for our truck. But we won't carry any water, fresh, gray or waste, and we'll do our best to travel light till my husband can get his dream TV (Ford F350 diesel Laredo).
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Welcome! Come join us at the Mid Atlantic Rally, July 30 - Aug 5. It will be in Sevierville Tenn, near Pigeon Forge and Gatlingburg. A great way to learn about the MOC and meet new friends.
Good choice on the 3850.
We added an extra tube underneath to store sewer hoses available at CW.
We use an inline water filter , many are available at CW.
I also recommend a surge protector.
HOOK Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
A surge protector is a must and you can also build a filtration system from parts obtained from Lowes.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
Welcome to the forum. The 3850Fl is a wonderful unit. We truly love ours. We have not done all the mods thay Bingo has but we still love this girl/
Enjoy yours! where in VA are you purchasing? Travel Safe and often.
Mike
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thanks, Hook! We actually have camping ressies already at our favorite local COE spot for that time. Once we decided to go for it, I wasted no time booking a few trips. We sold our previous fifth wheel in November and I've been chomping at the bit to get something so we could start camping again.

Mike (and Angie), we're getting it from RV Outlet in Ringgold (Danville). I'm a little nervous because I'll be driving 6 hours to purchase it with only having seen pictures on the internet. But when I asked folks on the Open Roads forum what experiences they have had with RV Outlet, I heard only good things. So I'm doing a lot of praying that all will go well. We actually drove 2 1/2 hours to South Carolina to see a 3850FL last Saturday and found the floor plan was just as good in real life as the pictures on the internet, but that dealer wanted more for a used unit that was missing the dinette table and chairs, than RV Outlet was asking for a new one.

I'll add a surge protector to my CW cart. Already got $250 worth of necessities in my cart. In for a penny, in for a pound, eh?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Congratulation and welcome to the MOC. I hope all goes well with the deal. My only advice is to take your time and do a good PDI.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Oops! Meant to edit and quoted myself instead!

Thanks, Jay Bird! Those are some beautiful dogs you've got!

I didn't realize there were so many 3850FLs. Looks like we'll be in good company.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
dunrovin1955
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13868
Welcome Anne, I know you folks will love your 3850. We spent 4 months in ours traveling this winter. Yes the sewer hose storage is not so good so I bought a square 5 inch plastic fence post and mounted across the coach and fastened it to the frame with straps, used existing screws and put a cap on both ends. works great and is right there by the sewer connection. Enjoy your coach. Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and enjoy your new unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats and welcome to the MOC family. We wish you many years of enjoyment with that beautiful floor plan.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Congratulations and wishing you many happy adventures and safe miles!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Welcome to the Montana family! We have a 3750, real love the front lounge. 3850's weren't available when we bought ours
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on the new trailer!

When hubby gets his dream truck, make sure it's a diesel dually - It is the only way to tow these big rigs as far as I'm concerned...and good choice on the Ford!

If they are holding your trailer until you come back, make sure they have it either locked behind gates, or at the very least a king pin lock. We had to do the same thing - go back later to get the rig after signing - and our trailer had been stolen right off the dealer's lot. No joke... Not to worry you, just something to ask them about, especially if you sign and they still have possession.

Have fun!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Oh, wow, Seahunter, I never would have thought of that! We have a kingpin lock from our previous fiver. Maybe I'll bring it up and give them the key, so they can move it.

The stackable washer and dryer are being installed between when I purchase and when we come back to get it so I'm thinking they'll need to move it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by napria

Oh, wow, Seahunter, I never would have thought of that! We have a kingpin lock from our previous fiver. Maybe I'll bring it up and give them the key, so they can move it.

The stackable washer and dryer are being installed between when I purchase and when we come back to get it so I'm thinking they'll need to move it.
Yeah, not to worry you, just something to be aware of. Really, things like that only happen to me it seems! And hey, we had to wait two more months while they built us our order again, but we got the next model year, so it all worked out and I got some G614's out of it, so I was happy!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #18
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Yeah, not to worry you, just something to be aware of. Really, things like that only happen to me it seems! And hey, we had to wait two more months while they built us our order again, but we got the next model year, so it all worked out and I got some G614's out of it, so I was happy!
Ha! Maybe I shouldn't bring the kingpin lock after all. Hubby saw the wood-look floor of the 2015's and much prefers it to the tile-look floor of the unit we're buying. He started to try to convince me to forget this one and order a new 2015 just for the other floor but I've got extended family obligations and we've got to take the unit and start visiting as soon as Spring Break starts.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another thing to mention regarding the washer dryer installation. You may want to consider having the installer use a kit to immobilize the dryer. The washer is heavy and does not move in the bottom of the closet. The dryer is another story. I strapped ours down, but there is a kit that fastens the dryer down by it's feet available that you may want to strongly consider.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Ha! Maybe I shouldn't bring the kingpin lock after all. Hubby saw the wood-look floor of the 2015's and much prefers it to the tile-look floor of the unit we're buying. He started to try to convince me to forget this one and order a new 2015 just for the other floor but I've got extended family obligations and we've got to take the unit and start visiting as soon as Spring Break starts.
That's the "problem" with these units, they keep upgrading/changing and it turns into a perpetual upgrade if you're not careful. We waited and waited for ours, and thought we had everything possible, now they have the full-timer package, and the Paramount package both of which I would love to have. Same thing happens on the trucks - sure enough right after you get one, they do major rebuild and you just love the new models!

That's neat you already have plans for when you get the new trailer - you will have a wonderful time with your new rig!