Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
nevlarry
Established Member

M.O.C. #14004
Propane Bottles

New owner of 2008 Montana 3400RL. I need a propane lesson please. I have 2 tanks, one on ea. side. How do I know which tank I am pulling from? If that tank goes empty does it auto switch to the other tank or do I have to manually switch? Any tips on how to estimate how much is left in either of the tanks? Any recommended way to tell if a tank is truly empty? Thanks - Larry

nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here are a couple of recent discussion that should answer some of your questions.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=regulator

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=regulator

Neither of them address the problem of knowing how full each tank might be. But if you subscribe to the idea of leaving both tanks Open, watching the regulator to see when the primary tank goes empty (red flag in the regulator), switching the lever to the other tank, and filling the now empty tank in a day or so, you will not really have to worry about running out. Experience will teach you how long a tank lasts for you depending on the temperature, and how much you are using the propane appliances.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As Carl said it's a matter of learning how much propane you use depending on the weather and what you are using. The rig will pull from the tank the arrow on the valve is pointing to until it turns red then you should switch the arrow to pointing toward the other tank and fill the empty one. It's just a matter of checking the color of the arrow when you feel you may be getting empty. Lot's of products out there to tell you how much propane is left. I've never had any of them work all that well for me or others I've observed. Not a big deal to open the door and look at the arrow.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
One thing you can do is look at the tank your using and see if there is a condensation line. That will tell you the level.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
An empty tank weighs 23 pounds, a full tank weighs 53 pounds.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Here's a little trick from a Michigan camper where temps can drop down, especially in early and late season camping. I bought a 1500 watt electric portable fan heater (about $25 on amazon). When it gets cold, especially at night, I run the electric heater. It's quiet, small, and puts out quite a bit of heat in a camper. And, at most campgrounds, electric is free! Saves your propane. Our furnace only periodically comes on. I also only turn the water heater over to propane in the mornings, when we shower since it heats up faster. Then I switch to electric...since electric is free! I know we're not full timers, but we camp quite often, and I can get over a year on my two propane tanks.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I don’t trust those automatic regulators or myself.

So I keep the full on shut off and when the heater quits working I go out and turn the empty off and the full on, switch the regulator and load the empty in the back of the truck.

Then I won’t forget to fill the empty. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
One little thing I do to tell the propane level in the tank. Fill a container with hot water, go to the propane tank and slowly run the hot water down the side of the tank, when the metal at the top of the tank feels warm run your hand down the tank until you the tank turns cold, that's the level of the propane.
DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nevlarry

New owner of 2008 Montana 3400RL. I need a propane lesson please. I have 2 tanks, one on ea. side. How do I know which tank I am pulling from? If that tank goes empty does it auto switch to the other tank or do I have to manually switch? Any tips on how to estimate how much is left in either of the tanks? Any recommended way to tell if a tank is truly empty? Thanks - Larry
This has nothing to do with your questions, just a little tip. If you do a change over manually, when opening the valve, crack it open then open VERY, VERY,(did I say VERY), SLOWLY. If not, you chance blowing the diaphragm in the regulator.
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

This has nothing to do with your questions, just a little tip. If you do a change over manually, when opening the valve, crack it open then open VERY, VERY,(did I say VERY), SLOWLY. If not, you chance blowing the diaphragm in the regulator.
[/quote]

Another reason to do this is that the newer tanks all have a safety device that if they feel there is a leak they will shut the tank down to little or no flow and you'll be looking for a bigger problem. Many BBQ grills now come with a warning about this because the companies were tired of getting perfectly good grills returned.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
replaced the hose and regulator on the non-transfer side on my 5th-no more slooooowwwwlyyy opening.Just put her in and turn it on.Use Trucon to measure propane levels-works great.Yes I sent 70 dollars for
it But it works.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We've gotten into the habit of first person outside for the day checks the regulator. If a tank shows empty it is removed and put into the truck until we can get it filled. Even in sub-freezing weather one tank has lasted two days, so there is no fear that we will run out while the tank is removed for refilling.

One caution if you have a built in propane generator. Operating the generator and the furnace at the same time will cause a rapid propane draw that will freeze the remaining propane in your tank. No damage, but you will not have any propane until the tank thaws.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote