Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
A Suggestion!!!

Many folks seem to be frustrated with the quality control from Keystone on new units. Although they usually end up getting them repaird under warranty, the frustration is obvious.

I would like to suggest that anyone who takes their units back for repair take the time to write a letter and send to Keystone Customer Service letting them know the problems with these units. Perhaps if they get enough letters, DIRECTLY, they would be more inclined to do something about quality control.

I sometimes wonder if the home company is aware of all the problems with QC. I know, I know, that we should not have to do this, but the facts are the facts. I know that Keystone pays warranty claims to their dealers, but what about those things we fix ourselves because it is more a nuisance than anything else.......All the little things that add up over the first year. Let the Company know every time you have to fix something.

Remember, there is strength in numbers........

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
According to my dealer, Keystone is well aware of most of our problems and is striving to prevent them. However, they do not have any control over items that are vendor supplied for installation in the rigs. It's like going to the gas station and buying gas that happens to be very dirty. That's not the fault of the gas station, it's the supplier.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
Orv,
I've seen the rationale "its not the manufacturer, it is the supplier" on many forums and personally I do not buy off on that concept. It would be the same as GM/Ford/Dodge telling us that our problem with our truck is the suppliers part and we will have to work through them. The manufacturer has the clout to expect and require quality and responsibility from their supplier...if they dont get it they find another supplier. Anyone that has ever worked in manufacturing will agree. Passing the buck is not done in any other manufactured items like autos, appliances, heavy equipment, etc. The manufacturers are claiming to provide a quality unit, not claiming to provide partially quality units.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have seen the factory, twice now, and I have seen how they try to prevent problems. I have also seen how they have changed suppliers to get better quality. I was into boating for awhile and I can tell you boat manufacturers pass the buck. Keystone listens to these problems and tries to make them right. Many, but certainly not all, issues are the dealers problem. We also don't know what the transport driver did on the road. You and I try to avoid bumps, potholes etc but the transport guy just wants to get there and go back for another. It is a complicated issue.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

According to my dealer, Keystone is well aware of most of our problems and is striving to prevent them. However, they do not have any control over items that are vendor supplied for installation in the rigs. It's like going to the gas station and buying gas that happens to be very dirty. That's not the fault of the gas station, it's the supplier.

Orv
Orv, This is what I was eluding to. Most dealers will tell you that, BUT, how do we know for sure that is the truth. My point is that maybe Keystone should hear it from us instead. The other point is how many minor repairs do we make without Keystone knowing about them. Sometimes it is the little things that add up eventually. I know when we bought ours, we left Alaska, thereby leaving the dealer behind us. Many things that went wrong we fixed ourselves on the road without contacting Keystone. I didn't mind doing this as I'm sure many others don't also, but the point is that Keystone probably doesn't know about these problems. I know there are totally honest dealers, I just don't know how many...I am not advocating taking the unit back for every nit-noy repair. I think when screws fall out of a cabinet we can all fix this or replace with a bigger screw or use the toothpick method (by the way, this happened on my last stick house and when the young lady fixed them, she used a larger screw and a power screwdriver that stripped the head of the screws), nice job, eh?

I also remember on my last stick house we had built, that the builder warrantied the home and the building supply company warrantied the appliances, not unlike Keystone today.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote