Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Wheel Bearing Maintance

I have a 2019 trailer I bought last year in March. I have put in about 8000 miles on it. My question is when I put in new grease in the wheel bearings can I use Level Up to be able to rotate the wheel, or is that a bad idea? I don't have any jacks.

sunshine 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I use the level up for all my maintenance chores. The one thing I do not do anymore is pump grease into the axle zerk fittings because the first and only time I ever did it, three of the four seals leaked grease onto the brake shoes and cost me $500 to replace all the backing plates and had to have all the drums turned. For not much more than $40, I can pack the bearings and not worry about leaking seals. Also, how do you intend to check the brake shoes for wear and verify that the brake mechanisms are still intact and working if you don’t pull the drums?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Thanks rohrmann, I guess I have to find a dealer to repack the bearings and check the brakes. Do you think Camping World would do a good job doing that?
Old 04-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I would check around for somewhere that has real mechanics that do real mechanic work, not an RV repair facility that will charge you way too much for questionable quality. You might even find a friend or neighbor that is a mechanic that might need a little extra money that could do this. Repacking bearings is really not that complicated, just need a few basic tools. The hardest part is getting the wheels off and on.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I would not ever use the EZ lube feature to grease the axle bearings.. you will most likely create more problems for yourself than you would ever want...

First pic.. Area circled in yellow is the grease channel that routes for that front zerk fitting on the axle... the Only thing preventing grease from blowing backward is that rear bearing seal..

If it doesn’t hold grease then you get grease all over brake shoes, etc and none on the bearings

You also can’t see what the bearings and races look like, let alone the rake shoes and hardware...
It’s an easy job if you have basic mechanical skills... if not find a local trailer shop and go there.. Anywhere but CW...

Rest of pics are from me doing my annual inspect and grease repack... total time was about 3 hours with several coffee breaks in the process

7 seasons of use .. Original Dexter brakes and bearings...35K miles towed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BB88A69-657B-42E7-A6D2-9C484F93079A.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	6178   Click image for larger version

Name:	C860C524-DE62-4F8C-9772-F1E43FC50E6E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	6179   Click image for larger version

Name:	11D0AF76-1299-4263-867C-850E8177833E.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	6180   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D0CB5CB-258E-4E2F-B1AA-A1D2F2B14939.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	6181   Click image for larger version

Name:	7CBA3D7D-6DDF-404D-B333-60EA4B8B40B8.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	6182  

ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Like Bob said. The hardest part is dealing with the wheels. I take about 45 to 60 minutes per wheel from jacks down to jacks up using the auto level. I have disc brakes so i have to remove the calibers to remove the rotors. This is a very simple job that any shop can do but the biggest problem is getting your behemoth rv in there. Most people who sell low-boy trailers can do this and most charge around 85.00 per hour or so. Rv dealers are 125.00 on up and most don't seem to have a clue even with a basic job as this. You can get on u-tube and it will show you how to do this as this is something that needs attention annually and could save yourself a lot of money. All you need is wheel bearing grease and 4 seals and you are in business. Good Luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:09 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
After having minor grease drool on a drum, will never use thw E-Z Lube fittings. I also wont let any RV so called mechanic ever touch our 5er. Most of them are barely competent and do a less then acceptable job.

While this is not a fun or clean job, it's a necessity on a pretty regular basis. Dexter recommends that bearing (and brakes)s be removed, cleaned, inspected and relubed every 12 months or 12,000 miles. 12 montas is a CYA, but 12,000 miles isn't. If you are any sort of DIYer, you probably already have the tools - a 13/16" socket and breaker bar to remover the wheels, a good size 'water pump" pliers, a couple screw drivers and, hopefully, a torque wrench.

Here are a couple of Dexter repack videos that will help;

https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...ng-maintenance

If your 5er has hydraulic disc brakes - a little different then the electric drum system in that the calipers need to be removed - Dexter's disc system is a little different then the Kodiak system I have so wont go into that.

My job this week - wheel bearings on ours - that is if the rains stop.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I see you are in Grandview Missouri. I'm right next to you in KC. I use to do my own service but several years ago decided I didn't want to do that anymore. Myself and many other trailer owners and several MOC members use Croft Trailer. Full disclosure I have been friends of the family for over 30 years. Croft Trailer has been around for 90 years.The Lee's Summit location is really close to you. Honest, dependable, and reasonable in price. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I believe once you pack your wheel bearings you don't need to do it again. You don't remove the wheels on your truck every year or 2 just to pack the wheel bearings so why do the RV? It's not like a boat trailer that goes in the water many times a year. I never use the EZ lub ether. Not willing to over pack the hub. You cant tell if the hub is full and you don't need that much grease. When I serviced my bearings the first time I just added a little to the center of the hub. I never just glop it in there ether. You only need a little . if you are going to do a brake job than that is the time to pack the bearings.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
EZ Lube

I understand I am not going to change most view's on this but as long as you are using the EZ Lube axle' s correctly they are extremely nice. I also know it only takes that one bad time to make some one never want to use them again.

If you do use them, just remember to slowly pump the grease and rotate hub while doing so. I can't tell you how many bearings I have repacked, but it's A LOT. The most common cause of the seal being compromised is someone aggressively pumping grease and not rotating hub.

Either way repacking hubs is not hard, it will probably be easier for the some that have not done so, to watch a you tube vid before. You can do this yourself and save some money.

Everyone take care and stay safe
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I believe once you pack your wheel bearings you don't need to do it again. You don't remove the wheels on your truck every year or 2 just to pack the wheel bearings so why do the RV? It's not like a boat trailer that goes in the water many times a year. I never use the EZ lub ether. Not willing to over pack the hub. You cant tell if the hub is full and you don't need that much grease. When I serviced my bearings the first time I just added a little to the center of the hub. I never just glop it in there ether. You only need a little . if you are going to do a brake job than that is the time to pack the bearings.

You don't service a truck's wheel bearing if it's a 4x4 as they are sealed units in front and all lubed by the gear oil in the rear. A 4x2 truck front bearings is back to the tried and proven 12/12,000 inspection criteria

An RV has the same kind of bearings that the '68 Mustang in your About Me listing - remove, clean, inspect, repack every 12 months or 12,000 miles. No I didn't own a '68 Mustang but did own a '68 Torino for 10 years and over 125,000 miles that had exactly the same (identical right down to part numbers) front suspension.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I agree that many including myself probably over service there bearings. I sometimes grease my bearings when i only have 5 or 6 thousand miles on them bit have hit the 12 mo. mark. What i do not over do is i inspect the brakes each time i repack the bearings and this is just as important as repacking. As has been stated on here, the hardest part of the repack is taking the wheels on and off so when my wheels come off i do a turn key job.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #13
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
With the standard type RV Dexter brakes it’s just a “Smart” practice to annually remove those h8bs and look at the brake shoes, attach hardware, magnet, etc...

When I removed my hubs this year for annual inspect and lube as usual the bearings still had more than ample grease.

But.. you are accomplishing much more than just bearing work.. you are looking and verifying your brakes are in good mechanical condition. It’s much easier to replace a broken magnet wire harness or a brake shoe hold down spring here at the house then end up on the side of the road with bigger issues..

That’s what makes the Disc brakes on fifth wheels nice...much easier to maintain and much better brake system. Wish I had that but my Dexter system has served well for 7 seasons.

YMMV
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
You don't service a truck's wheel bearing if it's a 4x4 as they are sealed units in front and all lubed by the gear oil in the rear. A 4x2 truck front bearings is back to the tried and proven 12/12,000 inspection criteria

An RV has the same kind of bearings that the '68 Mustang in your About Me listing - remove, clean, inspect, repack every 12 months or 12,000 miles. No I didn't own a '68 Mustang but did own a '68 Torino for 10 years and over 125,000 miles that had exactly the same (identical right down to part numbers) front suspension.

I have read this over ,and over. Just sold my 2008 Montana 3400RL . I ordered it ,and picked it up in Indiana new in November of 2007. I monitored the wheels ,and bearing on the way home 1600 miles, they ran very cool from the factory. Those bearing were packed twice in the 13 years , with close to 40K miles on the trailer in that time. The first time was when I installed the wet bolt kit, three years after purchase. Then again two years ago, and wondered why I was doing it, everything was good ,grease looked good etc.

I also have a tandem axle ATV trailer I built just before I retired in 2010. I packed those bearings when the axles were new, and before I put them on the trailer, although they were assembled ,and ready to go I repacked them anyway. I packed them again three years ago when I put on new tires. . The trailer does not have a lot of miles on it, the tires finally aged out ,so was time to replace, and pack the bearings. IMO wheel bearings are way over maintained from what I read on these forums.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
To each his own, but peace of mind is priceless. If you have time and want to do it, do it. It doesn't hurt anything to clean and repack with new grease. I check end play everytime I have a wheel up in the air.
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
To each his own, but peace of mind is priceless. If you have time and want to do it, do it. It doesn't hurt anything to clean and repack with new grease. I check end play everytime I have a wheel up in the air.
No argument with peace of mind if thats what lets you sleep at night. . I go by experience, been towing trailers for a long time. If I thought for a minute those bearings needed repacking every year, they I would do it. Nearly 50 years I have been towing trailers of some sort , I think I know what works for me.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #17
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Thank you all for the input, I have learned alot from it. I am going to have a friend of me do it for me. I will watch him do it, and hopefully I would be able to do it next time
Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Local Rv dealer checks them and everything else every two years. We have never in years of Rv ownership had a problem with the technical ability of RV techs at any dealership.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My dealer used to charge $200 for 4 wheels. Now (new ownership) it is $280. After some comments on here, I am think maybe I can go every 2 years (20,000 miles) instead of yearly.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Our Local Rv dealer checks them and everything else every two years. We have never in years of Rv ownership had a problem with the technical ability of RV techs at any dealership.
Lucky guy, better knock on wood.