Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
grease the pin?

I use a teflon pad between the hitch and the pin box, my question is the pin itself is dry and getting some rust should I grease it? I have also been having some issues getting the hitch to release when unhooking at the campground. I have taken the hitch head off and lubed the hitch with silicone as part of my regular maintenance but should I apply a little grease to the pin itself or not?

Thanks,

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
You probably don't need to apply any grease to the pin itself but it might help ward off any rust that may develop. I've never applied any to my pin and pulled it for over 10 years. I do like the teflon or nylon or whatever material those pads are made of. I'd hate to have to revert to using grease like they did in the old days. I'd have grease from one end to the other! And of course the grease will attract dirt. I do spray all the stress points and the pin with WD 40 from time to time. I also spray on some silicon from time to time. Everything seems good so far. Good luck, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I usually put a little white grease on the pin itself where it contacts the jaws. Just remember not to bump your back on it afterwards, cause not only will it hurt, but your wife will give you heck about the black smudge on your shirt.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I use white lithium grease in a spray bottle on the pin each time before I hook up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I like to have some grease on the pin. After all it is moving metal against metal, creating some friction, a little grease should help relieve some tension. JMHO
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I put just a little white lithium grease on my pin also. Metal to metal, it just makes sense to me as it is constantly rubbing back and forth as you travel.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ole dude

I like to have some grease on the pin. After all it is moving metal against metal, creating some friction, a little grease should help relieve some tension. JMHO
Agree.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
If you're having trouble releasing the hitch the problem may be pressure on the hitch itself. When mine will not release I first CHOCK the wheels and put the truck in neutral. This lets the truck roll back and revieves the pressure on the hitch and then it releases easily. In severe cases I have the DW put the truck in reverse without gas to relieve the pressure. I have helped others with this problem and seems to work every time. I also use grease on the pin, other than wear I see no other benefit. Good Luck, John
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Agree, a little grease on the pin and to protect it and my clothes when parked I have a King Pin lock I install, will still hurt if you try and move it, but at least will well save the laundry.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
thanks for all the fast responses, looks like I'll be picking up a can of Lithium grease.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I realize you already got your answer but the teflon disk only means that you don't have to grease the top of the plate and the bottom surface of the pin's plate when they meet when hitched up. But one still needs to grease the jaws and the pin where they meet metal to metal for the reasons mentioned by the others. You'll also need to identify and grease up the moving parts of the jaws to improve movement and lessen friction. Be careful not to pinch your fingers when doing this.

Not having to grease the fifth wheel surfaces keeps the mess way down, but does not eliminate the potential grease pin contact. The jaws being inside the hitch and out of the way don't get too messy but the disk means that the only mess concern is the pin.

I do think some grease is needed to lessen friction, but when you think about it, there's very little travel so the friction from heat is not drastic. On the other hand, I have seen some pretty rusty pins and hitch balls and I think the grease could have lessened much of this wear and tear or at least protected things a little better.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I also have the plastic disc in place- I also smear some lithium grease on the pin to slow down the inevitable wear on the pin and hitch jaws- My hitch also has a grease zerk to lube the internal moving parts of the hitch head- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I've started doing this and it works! I just watch my feet when she puts it in gear!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

If you're having trouble releasing the hitch the problem may be pressure on the hitch itself. When mine will not release I first CHOCK the wheels and put the truck in neutral. This lets the truck roll back and revieves the pressure on the hitch and then it releases easily. In severe cases I have the DW put the truck in reverse without gas to relieve the pressure. I have helped others with this problem and seems to work every time. I also use grease on the pin, other than wear I see no other benefit. Good Luck, John
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Dealer and a couple of poeple told me that grease on the pin wasn't really necassary. However I did want some type of lubrication. I am using moly spray designed for coating bullets to embed moly into the barrel of a rifle. It's kind of like spray paint and it dries within seconds. I sprayed the jaws and pin. It's supposed to use the friction to actually embed the moly into the surface of the metal. I also use the plastic lube plate.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I used to grease the pin but found that it took the emergency room Drs longer to clean the dirty grease out of my scalp before they did the staples. I used a synthetic grease and it usually took them another hour to finish the cleanup.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
LOL LOL LOL I like that one...havn't hit my head yet but definitly got some good grease marks on my back. And anytime you have metal to metal a little grease is needed.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #17
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I agree....metal on metal needs a little Marine grease. Does great in the weather.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A dealer that tells you that don't need grease on the king pin is not worth dealing with. Anytime you have the wear of metal on metal, there is abrasion on the metal and after awhile can show severe wear. I think what they really meant to say is you don't need grease on the faceplate of the hitch where the trailer is connected. There you want a teflon plate which can be purchased at any RV accessory store.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
A koozie on the pin makes it softer and cleaner to the touch.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We have the Pull-rite SuperGlide hitch, the one that slides as you turn, because we have a shortbed truck. We have to have a special plate that goes onto the kingpin to lock it into the hitch. Our hitch does NOT use the teflon plates because the hole is so tight that there is no room and the manufacturer even puts that in their instruction manual. The manufacturer recommends WD-40 on the jaws, the slide, the hitch, and the pin before every hook-up. Hope that helps for those people who do not have the standard hitch.

Now...as to the grease on the back of the shirt you are on your own! Being a wife that has to clean it up, although it is a pain, I would rather do that than to find out later we had to replace a critical expensive part. Just my 2cents! My dad was a diesel and airplane mechanic! So I am used to it!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote