Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Air Conditioner blowing moist air

Moisture collects on bedroom ceiling from the air conditioner. Only the bedroom air conditioner does it. there must be a water drain of some kind on it. Maybe it is plugged? anyone have any experience in this?
John

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Check your AC pan drain holes, remove the AC cover and you will see them.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We experienced similar situation while in Florida this past January and February. It was condensation on the vent closest to the shower and a little on the ceiling around it while running the main air conditioner.. Looked like it was coming out of the vent. Ended up being surface condensation from the shower even though we were running the commode room exhaust fan. Only happened on days when humidity was really high.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Check both the drain holes and also there was a thread a while back about extra mounting holes that weren't always caulked. You will have to take the cover off to see what's happening.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I took the cover off and things were clean in there. Cleaned some lint off the Finns. Drain holes seemed to be open. Sometimes it will run for hours and all is fine and then it will start blowing water drops out of it and ceiling gets dripping wet. I am not familiar how they mount to the roof so I don't want to just start removing bolts to look at the roof gaskets. Don't know how much slack is in wiring either. I think it is a job for a mobile tech.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
There would appear to me that there is a leak in the drain pan or the AC is not installed correctly. No way should water drip from vents.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
There would appear to me that there is a leak in the drain pan or the AC is not installed correctly. No way should water drip from vents.
I spoke with a Tech from Campingworld. He was very concerned and polite and seemed to know what he was talking about. He thinks that the ac unit may not be positioned on roof proper and warming cool air are mixing. Also allowing condensation to reenter system. If I operate the ac on low it does not seem to give trouble. When I get back up North there is a RV repair place that I trust. I have some other things scheduled so this will be added to the list.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #8
DRay

M.O.C. #24311
This happened to my RV. The seal between the roof and ac were not sealing. I was where I could not take back to dealer because I was out of state working. Had a local service guy check out problem and found this to be the case. He had to use 2 gasket seal to make it seal. Problem solved. Keystone would only reimburse me half what I paid because it was not a dealer repair. After many arguments, still not got have my money back , which would have been warranted if I could have taken to dealer.
DRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
My AC comes off easy. Just 4 bolts from inside, unplug power and control wires and lift off. Before I replaced I installed a 3/8” x 1 1/2” plywood curb under the roofing before installing the ac with new gasket. Also have to support compressor end of unit with more foam shim.
With adding the curb the water has to be 3/8” deep on roof before it gets to the roof/ foam seal mating point thus reducing or eliminating future leaks.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #10
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
Freeze up

It could be the high humidity is causing the coils to freeze. It would the glow water, or mist into the cabin.
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote