Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Jacking up the Montana

A couple years ago, after only 6 months of ownership of a brand new Montana High Country, we had a blow out 200 miles from home. We had road side service and they got the spare tire on the camper for me. But jacking up the trailer to do so was a real challenge.

On the same trip, I decided not to take chances with the rest of the original tires and decided to get all new rubber. We were near Charlotte, North Carolina and because of where were, the only place that had tires the fit my Montana was a semi-truck repair shop. We went there and they replaced all those original tires with Hercules Tires. But jacking up the trailer was a real challenge.

I've since experimented with my Montana to see how capable it is to lift the tires off the ground by the electric Lippert 6 point leveling system. Although it does a great job at leveling, to actual lift the camper, it seems those jacks are struggling something awful, and stopped the attempt before something broke.

Fast forward again. Sometime in the not to distant pass, I must have hit something and did not know it. Whatever it was, the tire shop thinks it was not a concrete curb scrub, but I hit something metal. At any rate, one of my tires had a side gash, a cut on the side wall.

Planning a trip in January, I'm not taking chances with a tire that has a cut on the side wall. The last experience I want is another blow-out when traveling.

But I was concerned about the tire shop raising the trailer again.

Over the past 20 years or more, I've heard of all kinds of ways to raise the trailer to change a tire. But again, all of these are just risky in my opinion.... especially lifting such a heavy trailer by the axle... anywhere on the axle.

Well, I put my thinking cap together and built this. And it worked great!

You are more than welcome to raise your camper in a different way, but this worked, and worked well for me! I'm just passing on alternative methods for the traditional "jack" method.

DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Great idea. You never know when you will need it...
They do make a commercial version of that.
They also make a curved version.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ack&furl=-vw-1
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I have two versions. One is plastic the other is metal. One in each camper.
I've been carrying them for well over a decade and haven't used a jack since. I use them for bearing and brake maintenance on all our trailers. Even used both at same time to change axles on our Wildcat.

I think its by far the safest and easiest way to lift a trailer without the hydraulic level up system.

Edit - Just thought of the name of ours. Metal one is a Jiffy Jack and the plastic
is Trailer Aid. Both are simply a ramp with a saddle.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For 25 years plus, I have carried a 20T bottle jack, placed under the Ubolts holding the springs to the axle, never had an issue and I use on the truck as well if needed; easier to use than the OEM jacks that have come with my trucks.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Couple of thoughts on this method.

Seems like you are (temporarily of course) putting too much weight on the one tire by making it support that side of the trailer (on mine it would be around 5,500 lbs.)

Also it seems like it would put a lot of stress on the equalizer doing it this way?

Perhaps neither of these factors are a real concern...just food for thought!
Old 08-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
How about IS?

I suspect this wouldn't work with independent suspension like Moryde IS. I could use advice on what is needed for an IS.
Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Most every year I used a 12 ton bottle jack between the U bolts to lift a wheel slightly off the ground, pull the breakaway switch, turn the wheel to see if it locked up, replaced the breakaway switch, and lowered the wheel. And repeated with the other 3. Made sure all brakes were working.

When I had new tires installed, the tire shop (Discount Tire) used 4 floor jacks and put one under each of the U bolts and lifted all 4 wheels up at the same time. At 9 years when the tires aged out, rather than wore out, they replaced them again the same way. (Michelin says inspect yearly beginning at 5 yrs and replace at 10.)

I know many people use those ramps, but putting 6,000 lbs or more on one tire and wheel and loading up one end of the axle and suspension like that just bothers me.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I agree 100% Bill... I invested in a few carefully chosen accessories from these guys: https://safejacks.com
Yeah, I know...pricey, but great stuff IMO.

Also broke down and replaced by aging 6 ton bottle jack with a very nice new 12 ton!