Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have no doubt your Black Max serves your needs, but although you claim "you" can hardly hear it ... I wonder what people around you are thinking. Any open framed generator is inherently pretty loud. At it's advertised 70 DB rating, I sure wouldn't want to be next to you at a campsite. Several RV generators run between 50-60 decibles ... For every increase in 10 decibels, the noise level is 10 times more powerful. A generator that runs at 70 decibels is ten times as loud as a generator that runs at 60 decibels.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #22
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Where we find Built in Gens helpful is we have a dog that is often left in the RV, a Builtin in Standby gen also has an automatic switch that can sense if the shore power goes out and will kick in that way Fido will note be baked if you left him and the power went out it kicks on automatically the A/C is back on and saves Fido.

Anyway something to consider if a pet owner that may leave there pet. Campground Power supplies not always reliable.

Imagine spending $5000 on your $500 Dog, but some do.

Other wise go dual Fuel Portable that way you can run off gas until gone then switch to Propane if needed.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I would think it depends on where you will use it most.

If dry camping where neighbors are few and far between or everyone has a generator going then it's a toss up, price (built in but limited fuel) verses inconvenience lugging it around and carrying extra fuel (some advantages to this, dual fuel).
If you will be mostly around people that don't run generators you probably don't want to be that guy with a loud generator.

I have a nice Champion 3500 duel fuel enclosed quiet generator I keep at home now but it is many many times louder than my built in one.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote