Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
Correct Track Suspension

My wife and I had an issue with the Correct Track suspension this past summer. While traveling home to Upstate NY from Kentucky, I noticed the rear axle on my 2016 Keystone Montana 3402RL wasn't tracking right. We pulled off at a rest stop south of Cincinnati and saw the rear spring bolt on the rear axle passenger side was missing. We called for road service and the mechanic said that he had responded to 4 calls with the same issue with Correct Track suspension and while he was repairing our trailer got another call for the same issue. I emailed Lippert twice and never received a response. I am a mechanic so I do take care to grease the fittings regularly, so lack of lubrication isn't the issue.
Has anyone else in this forum had a similar experience? I don't need advice on how to take care of my RV. I've been RVing since the 1970's. I just want to know if anyone else has had the same issue and if you contacted Lippert and if they got back to you. Otherwise, my next call will be to the NTSB.

Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I had the Correct Trak on our last 5er with no issues. I know there is a torque spec for the bolts. I assume that was followed?
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Not a direct answer to your post, but there have been numerous posts in past years on several different RV forums about the correct track and its issues. Some were the yellow cam falling off and some were the entire assy bolt and all MIA. Maybe that's why some manufacturers have stopped installing the correct track as standard equipment. The assumption that correct track fixes alignment of the axles is only 50% true. Correct track CANNOT adjust camber or toe-in ... it can only adjust parallelism of one axle to the other and both's squareness to the frame. Most RV service centers do not have the equipment to read caster, camber, and toe-in or trained techs to do anything about it. Sorry for the ramble ....
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
The NTSB should be involved. These suspensions on our fivers, regardless of brand, are a nightmare. Before I finally got IS, I lost bolts from the hangers 3x's, had 2 broken spring hangers, and 2 broken springs, all separate incidents on my 2017 3720. I could no longer tow in comfort. Finally got I S this fall, 4 new tires and disc brakes, which, by the way should be standard equipment on all trailers over 30 '. Its a matter of safety for everyone on the road with these underbuilt trailers.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Can't speak about the correct track but having RVed for years I've had numerous bolts break and disappear as I go down the road. This is why I always have a couple of extra bolts with me.

Bolts break so I would just guess that that is what happened and not the track system itself.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have heard of several folks with broken hangar bolts - these wind up as a big aggravation. How many accidents are caused by broken hangar bolts?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
Thanks for the information. Like you, I am losing confidence in this system. When I put the camper away for the season, I checked all the bolts and the one that was replaced, the nut was only finger tight. I removed it, added threadlocker and torqued it. It was the only one loose. I will be getting the NTSB involved.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Ya lost one this summer, same deal, well greased. Was several hours from home so I jury rigged a bolt & cut a spare nylon/teflon 5er pin/hitch plate to size using a small hand saw, then drilled a hole in centre and installed a bolt & plate on spring. Got us home no issues, then ordered a full extra set in case it happens again. I did use loctite blue when installing the nut on the new bolt.. Don't know if it will help but can't hurt.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Never a problem with our Correct Track. We had the axles aligned when we purchased the 3440RL
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
jofral58

M.O.C. #24865
Has the exact same thing happen to me this summer on my 2016 3720RL. Called Lippert directly and they mailed a replacement set of the alignment cams. Like Speedster I now carry extra bolts and alignment cams. Personally I think the wet bolts are not as strong as the solid dry bolts.
jofral58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Has little to do with it being correct track. You either need to switch the nuts to nylon or use locktite. All suspensions, including independent suspensions will eventually fail.

I can sympathize with the frustration, but people willingly hand over their $$ and keep em in business. Going to another beauracracy like the NTSB is going to make you more frustrated. It's a bolt. Replace it and move on.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
The NTSB should be involved. These suspensions on our fivers, regardless of brand, are a nightmare. Before I finally got IS, I lost bolts from the hangers 3x's, had 2 broken spring hangers, and 2 broken springs, all separate incidents on my 2017 3720. I could no longer tow in comfort. Finally got I S this fall, 4 new tires and disc brakes, which, by the way should be standard equipment on all trailers over 30 '. Its a matter of safety for everyone on the road with these underbuilt trailers.
I agree, The suspension on trailers since there inception are junk and should not be allowed to travel down our nations highways.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I too understand given MOC members frustration about suspension issues, but universally implying a spring and equalizer suspension setup is a death trap waiting to happen is a bit over stated. Yes some people have had hangar brackets or an eye bolt break over their span of ownership, but what about the hundreds of thousands of RV's made over the years with the spring and equalizer suspension setup that never have issue? If you own an 7, 8, or 9 ton fiver perhaps IS is the answer, but many of us have had good service with the spring and equalizer setup and do tow in comfort.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I too understand given MOC members frustration about suspension issues, but universally implying a spring and equalizer suspension setup is a death trap waiting to happen is a bit over stated. Yes some people have had hangar brackets or an eye bolt break over their span of ownership, but what about the hundreds of thousands of RV's made over the years with the spring and equalizer suspension setup that never have issue? If you own an 7, 8, or 9 ton fiver perhaps IS is the answer, but many of us have had good service with the spring and equalizer setup and do tow in comfort.
I was primarily speaking about the heavier trailers, however ALL of these suspensions are junk. Don't believe me, take one of the spring ends off your nearly new trailer after towing several thousand miles and tell me what the plastic eye bushings look like (if they are still there). Unlike a modern car/truck suspension with rubber bushings etc., camper suspensions are for the most part are metal to metal with no lubrication. My trailer came from the factory with bronze bushings and wet bolts (that were greased multiple times a year). Better system, but when I replaced the entire suspension, the bronze bushings were completely worn in half. IMHO, fine for a cargo trailer, but not for a mega ton trailer being towed down our nations highways.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote