Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Registering Rig out of state

Hi, I've been out of touch for a while but back with a question. Our truck and 5er have been registered in Idaho for the past 8 years, since we hit the road. Well we won't be going back up to Idaho for some years and was using a PO box to do the DMV thing. Well my question is this. We need, as I'm sure a lot of others do, as inexpensive as possible. I was once told South Dakota was. However we won't be going there. I was told you didn't have to have a local address in SD to register the cars. If that's true, does anyone know about this and how to go about it?
Thanks for any help anyone can give on the subject.

Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Guys,

Got to spend some time traviling around VA. this summer with a couple that were very astute, when it came to planning their fulltime RV life. They really studied this subject and the winner was, you guessed it South Dakota. If I remember correctly they said they had to fly up there and get a PO Box, which gave them legal residence to get their Drivers License. With this done, they reg. the 5er and the TV.

Maybe you could do the same with a cheap plane ticket.

No State Income Tax and I believe no Sales Tax. (How'd they do that?)

Wish I had more info. for you.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Mike and Karen! Good to hear from you again. Check out this site. We have a mail address through them but their site has a lot of info about registering in SD. We did go up there to get drivers licenses but it's possible to send pictures and do it all without going there. These folks might want you to sign up for their mail service before they'd handle this for you but the site might have some useful info for you.

http://www.alternativeresources.net
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Thanks Guys, for the info. I will check out the link you sent Steve, thanks. I will try to be a little better about participating here in the future.

Mike
Old 01-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike and Karen, are you folks still in Waco?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another option is Texas. Escapees has a booklet(free online) answering questions about "How to become a real Texan". Texas is also one of those states without an income tax. Even if you don't do it in Texas, the info is good. http://www.escapees.com/edocs/texan.pdf
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Florida is another option, as well. In Texas do you have to have vehicle inspections of the tow vehicle and the fifthwheel? SD has no inspections of any kind, which was another reason we went that direction. We recently joined Escapees, too, for the CG discounts and perhaps a rally one of these days. SD, TX, and FL seem to be the most prevalent choices and each probably has its advantages.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
As Carol and I are about to become full-timers, we also need to address this question. At this point, I think we will continue our residence here in Washington. I realize, we can not elect a Governor and it is not a state that is generally considered, but there may be some advantages. Washington has no income tax, it cost us about $100 per year for the tags on our truck and the Montana. The only vehicle inspections are for emissions and that is only in the most populist counties. We have the advantage of being able to use one of our kids address as there are no mail forwarding companies here that I am aware of. One possible downside is there is a B&O (Business & Opportunity) tax on businesses should we wish to form one to funnel any income into Carol's SS account.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We went with Florida mainly because Lorraine's parents and niece live here. We have a PO box where we pick up our mail while we are here. When we travel Lorraine's niece picks it up for us. Lorraine and her niece are on the phone daily and her niece describes what mail is there. She will than have either have her forward the mail or just trash it. As we do all our banking and bill paying online we get very little mail. Most of what we do get is junk so she'll just trash it. Last year while on the road we only received mail twice and that was only mail that actually required some form of action from us. We received mail once in July in NY and again in Sept at Pla-Mor.

This system works real well as we are not paying to have unwanted mail forwarded to us. Most of the mail forwarders will forward all mail to you including the junk for which you pay a fee.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Thanks for all the help people, we will let you know what we do next. Just as soon as we do?! That could take some time. Ha Ha
Old 01-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
"Most of the mail forwarders will forward all mail to you including the junk for which you pay a fee."

We use the same folks as Steve and Vicki, Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls...they weed out the "junk". All we get is the First Class mail, and those magazines we subscribe to. We have been VERY sasisfied with their service for 18 months. They also take care of all the administrative stuff for the auto/RV registrations. SD has worked very well for us as our State of Residence since we sold our home and exited Calif in July of 2003.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #12
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Another SD option that we use is http://www.myhomeaddressinc.com/ It's a little less expensive the Alternate Resources. Both do a good job.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
Montana_2771
Established Member

M.O.C. #2771
I was born in South Dakota, left there when 2 weeks old never been back. Think I can claim it as my home state? lol
Montana_2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Bob and Donna, Thanks for the additional information!

Steve R, No we are in Salt Lake City right now. We will be leaving for Kentucky the first week of March.

Thanks folks.

Mike