Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
Question about clogged black tank

Have a question, my black tank would not drain this weekend and it was full(1st trip since Nov.). I tried snaking from external drain area and from toilet, but no luck. Eventually I ran snake probably 4-5 down throw toilet and snake got hung...felt like something was hung on tip of snake. I first pulled pretty hard and would not come unstuck. Eventually after pulling very hard it same free (very quickly) and tank drained. My question is, do the pull lever cords or anything run through the tank that the snake would get hung on? I can't imagine this was 'crud' my snake was hung on. Everything drained good though after what ever it was was freed.

fre1fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sounds like you had a plug at the outlet. Cutout pieces have been known to plug outlets.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
It MAY have been hung on a "Pyramid of Doom"...do you leave the black tank valve open to drain? Or skimp on water in tank or when flushing? It sounds consistent with running into the petrified pyramid of doom from the previous season to me...

I'd need to defer to the experts on the cabling of tanks, etc...but I'm pretty sure that stuff is on the outside of the tank. And the most likely explanation for a clog in the tank is solid matter buildup, I think.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fre1fred2 View Post
Have a question, my black tank would not drain this weekend and it was full(1st trip since Nov.). I tried snaking from external drain area and from toilet, but no luck. Eventually I ran snake probably 4-5 down throw toilet and snake got hung...felt like something was hung on tip of snake. I first pulled pretty hard and would not come unstuck. Eventually after pulling very hard it same free (very quickly) and tank drained. My question is, do the pull lever cords or anything run through the tank that the snake would get hung on? I can't imagine this was 'crud' my snake was hung on. Everything drained good though after what ever it was was freed.
Excuse the typo's (was on my phone on previous post). Should have said I put snake 4-5 ft down toilet and it got hung when I was trying to pull it out. I'm just wondering if there is any feature of the tank, piping, valves that my snake could have gotten hung on.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Might have got hung up on the tank flusher spray head?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Might have got hung up on the tank flusher spray head?
ahhh... I didn't even consider that... thanks
Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Batesmotel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21537
This happened to us the first year and swore it was one of my friends sons underwear, but we think it was what someone above had called, "cut out pieces."
We haven't had a problem since the first time, but it also doesn't help that the sensors are never right either.
Hopefully, you won't have the issue any more!!!
Fingers crossed.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The tank rinse inlet is at the front of the black tank and nothing there to grab a snake. Only thing you could hang on is the pyramid of doom or on the tank valve if it was stuck partly open with poo blocking outlet. All cables are external to tank. Never leave black tank open, always use rinse feature with tank valve open, always use lots of water in bowl anytime paper and poo goes in...a lot of water.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
thats about the only thing our first trailer salesman was correct on, LOTS OF WATER

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote