Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Newbi owner of a Montana

Good morning. Just bought a new Montana High Country 5th wheel and still learning about it. As I looked thru the 'material' given to me by the dealer I find I have NOTHING on my A/C unit. Further more I'm not getting any help from the dealer (a practice I hear is very common). Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how I get get this info. As I'm new to this club/blog, if I'm posting in the wrong place, please tell me where it would it appropriate. Thanks for ANY help.

Don

donc1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I could find no information on the a/c unit either. I figured out how the thermostat works, it looks pretty simple. I know that there are probably filters in the vents on the ceiling that need cleaning regularly. We have not had our trailer long enough for me to try cleaning them. I will probably do that this fall. But a manual would sure help!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have always gotten a bagful of manufacturer info on all appliances, etc etc. you should have for example, an operator manual for the thermostats. Also the frig, oven, microwave, axles,etc. even a cd on torque procedures for your rims.Many of those manuals are available at no cost from the manufacturer websites. Your dealer probably has your package laying around somewhere. There is no unit specific owners manual that I am aware of.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
We got the 'package' but this last time out we had some issues with the A/C unit. The problem in my case was 'operator error' (wanting it to cold to soon). That's when the thought about checking the 'manual' to which I had none....Then the thought about the heat pump (part of the same unit). In few times we've had the unit out, I've been able to get the heat pump only once. Well it's summer now...no biggie but wife and I will be retiring soon so it's something I need to find out...I also expect it's probably operator error too...so it would be nice to have something to tell me if I am really that dumb.

BTW this is only my second 5th wheel. The first one was a 2003 Cougar (30 ft) which I bought used to learn also.

Take Care,

Don & June Caldwell
Old 08-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! I agree we should get more info on the AC units than just how the thermostat works. We use our own AC filters and they show the dirt better than the originals. Based on that we wash the filters every two weeks and they need it badly when I pull them out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Welcome to the forum. The internet is your friend when you are looking for info.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Thanks for the welcome. Wife & I are about 10 months from retiring. After which we're going to do the full time 'thing'. Way to much of this great country (USA) to see to just sit around and watch the 'grass die'. We ARE looking for advice on registering in another state (among other things). California is getting way to expensive to live and for all the wrong reasons. This is coming from a 3rd generation Californian.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 AM   #8
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
High Country

Hi Don, we have had two Montanas, our current one being a High Country.

Chris and I have found that (within reason) trial and error have worked just as well as some of the documentation provided. As for the A/C controls, it took us a while to figure out that you just use the one switch to cycle through the options. What initially threw us was the little green light that came on when we chose the "off" position. How can the system be off if a green light came on? However, patience is a virtue and the green light goes out of its own accord after a few seconds.

Vent filters. Again a no brainer except I think the vent grates are poorly attached to the ceiling. The filters themselves are only batting material and can be purchased at any arts & crafts store (Michael's). We just wash the existing filters (you have to remove them from their cardboard frame) and temporarily use Bounty paper towel as a temporary filter while the batting filters dry. Always remember to use the cardboard frames to trap the filters on the inside of the grate before reinstalling the vent grates.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Thanks for the help....I'm assuming the filters are the 2 oblong 'things' in the ceilings in the 'living room'. And here I'm thinking they're speakers. We're taking the unit out next week-end so that's something I'll check on. Still trying to get the 'heat pump' to come on using the same switch panel.

If you're in AZ you might be able to help with a campground. June & I will be looking to move from Ca to ANYWHERE. We were told of a place near Prescott. Will be looking for a 'base' to make trips from then come 'home' to stay for a while and plan the next trip. I think its in Dewey AZ.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:39 AM   #10
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
We have never stayed in Prescott (surprising as we have a daughter who lives there) but we have stayed at the Rio Verde RV Park in Cottonwood, close to Prescott, which we absolutely loved. Beautiful shaded full hookup sites along the Verde river. Friends of ours stayed at the Thousand Trails RV park but that was work related and I'm not sure how comfortable they were at that place.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 AM   #11
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Oops. My wife tells me we stayed at the Dead Horse Ranch State Park. I don't know when she stole my memory and put these other thoughts in my head but its a tad inconvenient some times.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #12
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Not to worry, mine does it too. It must be a 'woman' thing..