Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #61
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Red -

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think that the dealer makes all of the difference in the world. You may want to call Keystone and talk to a live person. Many of the people on this forum have had issues, but you see them getting responses and fixes. I believe a lot of them called direct. Just a suggestion.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM   #62
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
JHadley
You are to be congratulated (I think) This is the longest thread (outside of the game) on the site. What you have learned( I think) is that the forum is a whole bunch of enthusiasts both positive (Mostly) and negative (some) who like the life. You will get a lot of data (mostly biased in some way or other) camoflaged as information which you will have to sort through if you want to get to some reasonable conclusion. I hope you understood the pandora's box potential when you asked the question. Somehow, I believe you did....Am I right?. I found it very interesting that the responses early on bordered on real flames and then toned down to reasoned discussion. Reminded me of the old meeting addage about "forming-storming-organizing-performing"...I think that is why so many people enjoyed the exchange.
For my part, I don't think I have much to add to the topic other than comments on the process. We have a Montana after tenting, two popups, and a class A. Had a few problems -- posted on this forum -- and are otherwise quite satisfied. Would I by anther Montana? Of course. Would I use the forum to develope a checklist - new or used? -- You bet!! That's why I'm here.

Good luck Dude...... See you at the next rally.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #63
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
My wife and I own an Everest.....On the way home today from WORK....I saw a Mountainaire being towed by a very high end F650 T/V.....beautiful rig except the dual double trailer tires were bowing out from either the weight or poor design.....never saw that before and it was the first i've ever seen with dual double wheels on a 5ver.....actually looked scary like it was going to let loose.
Anyway....from every forum i've read...Keystone takes care of its customers like few other R/V mfg's...and the Montana line is a good bet; used or new! More bang for your buck!
Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #64
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Jan & John: Newmar makes two 5ers with tandem duals: the Kountry Aire and the Mountain Aire. The cheap (Country Aire)one starts at $74000. The Mountain Aire starts at $104,000.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #65
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
i saw it online yesterday when i got home.....pretty pricey stuff....too rich for us! Thought it odd though the way the tandem duallies were bowing....must have been overloaded or unbalanced with the tow vehicle and putting too much weight on the rear axle...
Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:55 AM   #66
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
I'd like to cross-post (that's post...NOT dress!) the below message I sent in another forum here. For what it's worth, I'm guessing that the openness of this forum allows some disenchanted people to express their disappointment and anger at the the problems they have with their rigs. This is much like America...allowing the voice to be heard can give an impression to people that problems are the norm, not the exception. I don't mean to demean the people who have suffered with problems. I'd be mad as hell if I sank a small fortune into a lemon. I do agree with the poster here who pointed out that the dealer is a huge element. In my case, I bought from Arlington RV in Rhode Island. The few problems I've had were promptly and efficiently taken care of. I can heartily recommend them to anyone in this area. So far, the problems with our rig have not been big ones. Hopefully, the future bodes as well. Good luck to those of you with big troubles. I do hope you're in the minority and in all honesty, it does appear to be the case.

Posted in Problems and Technical Help:

My two cents: we've had a few problems, the most serious of them a leak in the bedroom slide. The other issues involved a leaking water line beneath a sink, a loose light fixture, and not a lot much more. Overall, the quality seems pretty good for the standards today. I have issues such as the heater running too loudly, no heat in the bathroom, etc., but I also want to suggest something; maybe the more technology and sophistication that goes into a rig equals more potential problems. With sensor guided vents, multiple slides, fireplaces, multi-tasked ovens, etc., there is a plethora of potential pitfalls present. It does sound like an occasional person here gets a lemon, but we would rate our 3400RL about a B to B+. One thing's for sure, when we get into our site and slide those four sides out...wow!
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 AM   #67
Montana_2164

M.O.C. #2164
I too am thinking of buying a new or almost used montana or eversthowever rv consumer group (which has no axe to graind that I'm aware of) gives keystone a less that favorable rating when it comes to reliability and value Whats up with that.Thanks for any imput. t-wolf
Montana_2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:32 AM   #68
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
T-wolf, I'm not an RVCG member so don't have their book but I know they are a highly respected resource. Can you tell us how those ratings compare to comparable brands in the same price range?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #69
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

JHadley
You are to be congratulated (I think)
Good luck Dude...... See you at the next rally.
Thanks Dave and Victoria, (Victoria is my newest grand-daughter's middle name -- Rachael Victoria Hadley -- aka R.V.)

Yes, (I think) I understand. Slow learner, but my questions were answered to my satisfaction. I finalized the deal on a 2000 3255 Monty on Saturday, and found out on Monday that the hanger retrofit hadn't been done. The serial number I submitted to Keystone two weeks ago was out by one letter ("Y" vs. "T"), and it wasn't apparent until I revewed the ownership certificate. The "Y" one was retro-fitted, but the "T" one wasn't. The person I bought it from is one of the finest men I have ever met, and I know he'll stand behind it if I encounter undue expense (private deal).

Oh well.

Also, there was only one really nasty response to my question. For the balance of the MOC participants, I tip my hat. I got a lot of good input and reinforcement that this was a unit I should buy, not only because it was a Montana, but because I was joining a reasoned congress of fans and fellow supporters.

Thank you all.

Jhadley
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:04 AM   #70
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations on taking the Montana "plunge". We have the 3255RL which we bought in September and have only been able to use once so far. I think you will enjoy the open floor plan and the fact that you can still use the kitchen area with the slides in. Our unit was bought used, through a dealer, and has no warranty because it is a 2000, but our dealer replaced a cracked holding tank and redid some wiring in the convertor, at no charge to us. We've taken care of some minor things like a leaky rear window on the street side, new battery for the doorbell, and replaced the CD/radio unit because the previous owner had rewired the speakers and blew part of circuit board. Hubby will work on trying to figure out the wiring mess later. Point is I guess, nothing is perfect - we looked at a lot of 5th wheels and always came back to Montana, and look forward to many miles of enjoyment. Ours will be back on the road the end of February when winter is starting to wind down in our area. Have fun with you new unit and enjoy.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:23 AM   #71
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
We had a 2000 3280RL and when we decided to go fulltime, we decided to get a high-end custom RV. We were tired of reattaching drawer bottoms and valances to the wall. Made me wish those long stables were never invented. The rear ladder nearly rusted off the back of the coach. Granted, all these things were little things, but it made me believe the big things were just down the road, literally. The wall near the bedroom slide had the markings of the beginning of the dreaded crack. The equalizers with the nylon bushings were wearing out. Continually tripping the main circuit breaker or just one of the wall receptacle breakers even when connected to 50-amp service. And there were more things that I have forgotten about or just put out of my memory because they aggravated me too much.
We are very please with the choice we made and would surely do it again if we needed to get another coach. Have we had problems with the one we have now, yes, but all of them are minor and the company even paid our way back to have the service completed. This company is truly one of integrity and it will make things right to your complete satisfaction.
Yes, the cost was high, but we feel well worth it. We would not have been able to afford it if we hadn't sold our house, but that was our plan all along. If you are ever on I70 in Kansas at exit 295, stop by the New Horizons factory for a tour and see for yourself. It's only one block south off the highway.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:40 AM   #72
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
I finalized the deal on a 2000 3255 Monty on Saturday,

Jhadley
[/quote]

Jhadley
This thread is pretty old now and you've already made your purchase but I just want to tell you I purchased an 03 3255RL, previously owned but in almost mint condition. I either have a great coach or I'm too stupid to recognize any problems, or they haven't occured yet. I'm very happy and I did buy a pretty pricey 3 yr warranty from the dealer just in case. I hope you enjoy your coach. The 3255RL was exactly the floor plan I had envisioned and 2 slides are enough for now. I'll probably end up trading in a few years and at this point, it will be another Montana. I really value the excellent resource that MOC has become.
Montana_2547 is offline   Reply With Quote