Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we made a few polite phone calls a couple of days ago asking why our Montana is still in the shop after nearly 2 months and why parts were still on order.
Got a phone call this AM that the Montana will be repaired and ready Tuesday July 8th.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
This past winter, we saw three (3) brand new 2014 Lifestyle 5th wheelers that were all staying at this same RV resort. All 3 were made by the same manufacture, and each had the same issue with separation of the seams on the slide out vertical panels. They also had other structural and cosmetic issues that we simply didn't have with our 2013 Montana, yet we paid 25-35K less. Granted, at first blush, they looked elegant and were very nicely appointed, plus they also weighed considerably more than ours. I don't think that's unique for other high-end models either. That said, the topic of conversation on this format was to critique the new Big Sky. I have not personally examined it, but from what I have been able to garner from the internet, is that it will be able to compete with just about any other high-end 5th wheeler out there and probably still will sell for thousands less. I think we're all suspect of the glitz and question the worthiness of this new Big Sky. For all practical purposes it structurally will still be a Montana, even if it being built in a separate plant. The question for Keystone would be, why fix what's not broken? The reason is market competition and there's a niche there. It makes good business sense for Keystone, especially the size and capabilities of Keystone's facilities, to separate itself a bit from Montana and tap into this high end market. There are some appointments and features that simply needed to be addressed in the older Big Sky models, namely, to make it look more contemporary and give it a more competitive edge over other high-end models out there under the backbone of the reliable Montana. I'm personally excited about the new Big Sky, (wider with nicer appointments). I know we'll give it serious consideration when looking to upgrade our '13 Monty, but that'll be in few years.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You could have given the presentation given by Mike Mack at the fall rally when talking about the new Big Sky. Keystone feels there is a niche for the Big Sky and the general Consensus was there is. I agree that there is.

Your observations about higher dollar SOB brands is right on. You can pay much more and get the same issues. That is what I mean about build quality. It is not about better carpeting , better countertops, better appliances a dish washer or W/D OEM. It is the construction of the unit....Build quality..

The focus for the consumer should be not on the glitz and glitter but the build quality of the unit. Keystone can give us something that looks better but will it be built better. I think it will. It will be special order. It will not be built in large numbers and the focus can be on better build quality.
Folks at the management level and we know most of them, IMO understand the New unit has got to be better. yes I would purchase one if I knew it was a better
unit not one that looks better and I am hard to fool.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Rich,
I think that you & Helen should be "field testers" for the new Big Sky. I believe you'd give it a thorough shakedown and put it through it's paces as well as provide honest and accurate feedback. We (customers and Keystone) would benefit.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

Jay..WE would ne happy to do that.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our dealer tells us that our 13 Big Sky is ready to go. Only took two months for the repairs. two new tanks, New wall panels, re attach wall sconce that fell off and regular routine maint. we will go up and do the PDI tomorrow and if it looks good proceed to Mor Ryde for the IS install. We feel a bit better about it than we did two months ago. At that time we did not want to see it again. The camper is empty just in case it did not come back so we will be moteling it if we go to Mor Ryde.. We will NOT stay in the building again. Once is enough. we have a positive attitude and hope for the best.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wish you the best Rich...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
You're hanging in there, Rich. Hope all goes well. Looking forward to meeting you two at River Plantation. Safe travels.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are in Goshen having the Mor Ryde IS installed. We stopped at a Rv dealer and had a first look at the new Improved Big Sky. Need to stop at the plant and ask a couple of questions. Will let you know.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #30
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep let us know Rich it will be good to here someone's honest opinion that knows their way around these rigs ,I have yet to get back home to see one at my dealer in Tacoma Wa,but I will check them out as well when I get back
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we went to Tiara Rv as they had the new Montana Big Sky 378RL on the lot. Sticker price 126,000. Tiara price 106,000 so there is the starting point. GVWR
16,820Lbs. Glitter , Glitz, Bling, Eye appeal 100%.It is pretty and stood out among all the other brands. If eye appeal will sell you a Rv you will buy this one. Wide body 100 Inches. Does not sound like much difference but it is very noticeable. It is big inside.

Fit and finish. I know were to look. Tried to untwist the plumbing. I have done it before. Not this time . We pulled, twisted , yanked, I am gonna find something wrong...Nothing wrong, Good fit and finish on THIS unit. I was impressed. Won't comment on décor or colors as that is a personal choice

Opened the side compartments. .What...Drain pipes in the compartment and what appears to be a heat duct that runs along the top. Our 13 Big sky is completely open. greatly reduces usable compartment space. Poor design. We looked under the unit . Spring hangers, springs, Axles. Standard Montana suspension. There is no option for the IS suspension although "sources" tell us it is being discussed. It does have the G614 tire.

We liked the unit and the fit and finish. Price and weight will be restrictive but it is directed towards those who want something extra.
The storage compartments need work. No factory tour .We would have liked to have seen that.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Time will tell how far Keystone is willing to go to take the Big Sky to the next level...Having a 100" body is a nice feature.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

...Drain pipes in the compartment and what appears to be a heat duct that runs along the top. Our 13 Big sky is completely open. greatly reduces usable compartment space. Poor design....
Rich, you have spent too much time in the 3400 models. The 3700/3800/3735 models (the ones with the extra long drivers side slide) and now the 378 Big Sky all have drain pipes (washer line and sewer) along with a heat duct in the basement. That is just the way it is with that floor plan. If they moved the location of the washer/dryer and bathroom then the pipes wouldn't be there. But it wouldn't be the same floor plan.

The cheap tinfoil like duct work they use to to connect the heater and the bedroom floor vent should be improved as it is easily punctured or torn. In mine, I replaced it with regular 4" hard pipe duct from HD.

I agree the drain pipes and heater duct don't add to the useability of the basement in these models. But having worked with it for almost three years, they don't really impact what I store in there. There is still a *LOT* of room there. Plus these models have an additional drivers side storage compartment aft of the basement in case you aren't over weight yet.

We have visited the dealer's two Big Skies several times in the last week. One is the 378 and the other is the 382. I agree they are pretty. The fit and finish does appear to be very nice. But are they improved that much? The drawers are still boxes stapled together and screwed to the faceplate. The drawer bottoms are stapled to the box and I found several which were flexing and ready to fall out once something was stored there. The dishwasher is installed at the bottom of the cabinet (as it is in the redwood). Personally I would like to have it placed higher and minimize having to bend over to load and unload.

I am still struggling to understand why I would buy one.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Guess you are right. The compartments looked cluttered to us. We liked the wide body. Dish washer was not a selling point. We thought it was all over better than our 13 3402 Big Sky but not 20K better. You are right on the cabinets. We have had to screw ours into the wall as they keep pulling out.

We think they did a good job on it.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #35
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
You guys are scaring me. We just made a deal to trade our Montana for a Big Sky. Did we make a mistake?!
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a great looking unit you are going to love it. It is to heavy for our 08 F-350 and out of our budget range. We thought the fit and finish was good. We were not excited about the storage compartments but that is a personal choice.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #37
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Too heavy for your 08 F350 6.4 Dually WITH 4:10 rear??? Yikes!! I better start looking for a newer truckDANG!! I did not know they were That heavy if it is too heavy for your 08 Dually I sure as heck am out with my 03 Dually with 3:73 rear
Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MY GCVW is 23,500lbs the Montana was 16,820 GVW the truck weighs 9250 lbs ready to tow is 26020lbs a bit over. Using the 20% rule for pin weight it would be 3364. I am sure my truck would "pull it fine" but that is not good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #39
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our 3500 Chev is towing ours as well as it did the 2010. Haven't had it weighed yet , but don't feel like there will be all that much difference. From Keystone specs the weights are very comparable. We did add a Splendide in front closet, maybe 100 lbs.
Now speaking of the new line, 100 in unit, I have seen no specs. Mark Krol has promised to send them to me as soon as he has them himself. Maybe we will have them at the Mid Atlantic. At least Mark told me he would be there.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #40
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

You guys are scaring me. We just made a deal to trade our Montana for a Big Sky. Did we make a mistake?!
Did you trade for "Big Sky Package" or the new line?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote