Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Headline

Saw this headline recently;
US Army vet faces 3 years in Canadian prison after mistakenly bringing gun to border, says lawyer

We need to be aware that our neighbors north and south of us live in fear of being invaded by us gun toting "Mericans".
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'm not surprised... their land, their rules, whether we agree with them or not.
Let's hope he gets some leniency from the prosecutor & judge. This should be a "shot across the bow" for the rest of us.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I guess I won't be going to Canada anytime soon
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Saw this headline recently;
US Army vet faces 3 years in Canadian prison after mistakenly bringing gun to border, says lawyer

We need to be aware that our neighbors north and south of us live in fear of being invaded by us gun toting "Mericans".
Mike
First of all let me state that I hope this vet is shown some leniency and that common sense may prevail depending on the situation of course. It usually does unless there is a criminal content to it.

For Canadians going south we almost have to make a science out of understanding the do's and do not's when crossing in to your country and planning on for extended stays. It should be no different for Americans coming our way.

In this case it highlights what I consider to be one of the most glaring differences between our countries, that being the gun laws that all need to be aware of.

I must admit most Canadians have trouble wrapping their heads around traveling with a gun, but hey, we understand it's your country not ours and no, we don't live in fear of being invaded.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This comes up at least once a year. Last year it was a couple of Texans in a Class A. As Darwin stated, we need to know the laws where we are going. That being said, if I could find a place to safely store my guns I'd take the rig to Canada. Since we full time leaving them at home doesn't work. On the other hand you couldn't ever convince me to cross the border into Mexico, except the couple of right on the border shopping towns, without a gun. Law enforcement and the army aren't even safe down there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

This comes up at least once a year. Last year it was a couple of Texans in a Class A. As Darwin stated, we need to know the laws where we are going. That being said, if I could find a place to safely store my guns I'd take the rig to Canada. Since we full time leaving them at home doesn't work. On the other hand you couldn't ever convince me to cross the border into Mexico, except the couple of right on the border shopping towns, without a gun. Law enforcement and the army aren't even safe down there.
Agree, I feel the same way!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Each time we have gone into Canada, I have declared my handgun, the custom folks have given me a receipt, stored the weapon, and upon our return to the border to cross back to the states, return it to me. Customs has always been courteous about it. When you get into trouble it is when you do not declare the weapon when crossing the border, as the signs clearly instruct you to do. You blow that off and get caught, then you get what you get.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I doubt that the Army Vet will do any time. More likely a slap on the wrist. We Canadians do not fear an American Invasion, quite the contrary. Bring your money not guns. We do fear that a Jamaican street gang might take your guns away from you and then proceed to shoot anyone in sight.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Each time we have gone into Canada, I have declared my handgun, the custom folks have given me a receipt, stored the weapon, and upon our return to the border to cross back to the states, return it to me. Customs has always been courteous about it. When you get into trouble it is when you do not declare the weapon when crossing the border, as the signs clearly instruct you to do. You blow that off and get caught, then you get what you get.
There you go(one learns something every day)....I did not know that customs would store your gun for you that you declared. A nice courtesy for any Americans that want to travel in Canada I would say.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Does force you to go back the same way. Customs are not overjoyed about it, but never wanted to turn me away either.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Getting into Mexico at Progresso/Weslaco TX is as simple as walking across the bridge, no Mexican checking of any kind. Getting back into America is as simple as walking back across the bridge and showing your passport to the Border Patrol. It's a good thing too as the last time we were there, when we got back to the car I opened the trunk to get my gun out and put it back in my pocket and it wasn't there. First thing I thought, somebody stole it. Second thought was, OH CRAP, IT WAS IN MY POCKET THE WHOLE TIME. Talk about a weird feeling, knowing I could have spent many years in a Mexican prison.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Getting into Mexico at Progresso/Weslaco TX is as simple as walking across the bridge, no Mexican checking of any kind. Getting back into America is as simple as walking back across the bridge and showing your passport to the Border Patrol. It's a good thing too as the last time we were there, when we got back to the car I opened the trunk to get my gun out and put it back in my pocket and it wasn't there. First thing I thought, somebody stole it. Second thought was, OH CRAP, IT WAS IN MY POCKET THE WHOLE TIME. Talk about a weird feeling, knowing I could have spent many years in a Mexican prison.
Heck Alan,
They may have thought being from Missouri, you were one of their Ozark vendors and given you a free pass.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Having never been to Canada I wasn't aware of their firearm restrictions. Obviously I'd check before planning a trip and plan accordingly. As far as Mexico I go several times a year. While I'd like to bring a firearm I do not. The real tricky part comes when planning my moves in my own state, California. Different rules for every park/CG, state, federal, county, private. Difficult to keep track of them all. Too bad their isn't some Federal document that outlines individual rights, oh wait.. Rant almost avoided.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It does worry me going to Canada and not having a weapon with me. I'm broadcasting I can't defend my self come do anything you won't to. Last fall while in Wyoming I came as closer than I ever have of having to use a weapon. I thought a hot head might come in my camper. He would have found a loaded 12 gage that I would not have even pointed at him unless I would have FORCED to. To have even picked ti up would have ruined my vacation to pull the trigger would ruin several years of my life and ended his. The point here is that even in the big empty of Wyoming you can run into a time you would like some protection. It is Canada not the USA and if we go there we abide by their laws.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

It does worry me going to Canada and not having a weapon with me. I'm broadcasting I can't defend my self come do anything you won't to. Last fall while in Wyoming I came as closer than I ever have of having to use a weapon. I thought a hot head might come in my camper. He would have found a loaded 12 gage that I would not have even pointed at him unless I would have FORCED to. To have even picked ti up would have ruined my vacation to pull the trigger would ruin several years of my life and ended his. The point here is that even in the big empty of Wyoming you can run into a time you would like some protection. It is Canada not the USA and if we go there we abide by their laws.
Lynwood
You can take a weapon with you to Canada. Read up on Canada's firearms laws. While you can't take a lot of guns in, especially hand guns, you can take certain rifles and shotguns. When we went to Alaska, I took a short barreled (18") shotgun with us and several boxes of 00 and slugs. You need to get a license from the Canadian government and pay a fee ($25 I think), but that's all there was to it. When we crossed the Canadian border, I told them about the gun and paid for the license. They were far more concerned whether our dog had all his shots or not.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have no issue with guns, none, nada. This post is not about owning guns! That said : I do believe carrying guns today, in light of resent high profile shootings, some involving former law enforcement officers, is tenuous. Each State having their own rules and of course the neighbors to the North! I have focused my attention on alternate deterrents to bad guys, scary dogs, bears, big vermin, in order to feel safe camping. Some carry "bear spray" others mace. Still others with Taser's. The latter gets the bad guy too close IMHO. We keep a supply of "Wasp Spray"! Shoots to about 10 feet and more effective then any spray, or "pole " you can use! Yes, stops anyone, and most things, right in their tracks. Now as far as I know, it's legal to own, and comes in handy when you actually have wasps. Just a thought? PS. Like Dick said, no reason for me to ever again, travel to Mexico! Been there.....
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

I have no issue with guns, none, nada. This post is not about owning guns! That said : I do believe carrying guns today, in light of resent high profile shootings, some involving former law enforcement officers, is tenuous. Each State having their own rules and of course the neighbors to the North! I have focused my attention on alternate deterrents to bad guys, scary dogs, bears, big vermin, in order to feel safe camping. Some carry "bear spray" others mace. Still others with Taser's. The latter gets the bad guy too close IMHO. We keep a supply of "Wasp Spray"! Shoots to about 10 feet and more effective then any spray, or "pole " you can use! Yes, stops anyone, and most things, right in their tracks. Now as far as I know, it's legal to own, and comes in handy when you actually have wasps. Just a thought? PS. Like Dick said, no reason for me to ever again, travel to Mexico! Been there.....
An FYI on all of those, whith the possible exception of the wasp spray. As you said, laws vary from state to state and many of the items you mentioned may or may not be legal everywhere. In Michigan, you can even be arrested for carrying a tire iron or part of a cue stick, in certain circumstances. So whatever you chose for self defense, make sure you research the laws of any states you travel to.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
*** Administrator note ***

The content of this post was deleted because it does not follow the intent of this thread which is to inform members of what they need to know when crossing a national border in this part of the world.

This thread is not intended for debate on the validity of gun control laws. If the thread descends into that kind of discussion then this thread will be locked or deleted.

Thank you for your understanding.

HomeOnTheRoad
Administrator
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote