Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Wildlife collision

Well friends, the old Chevy may soon be getting replaced. Long story short, 2 friends of Gail and I get in the truck yesterday morning and head south to the University of Alabama with my new 14 foot enclosed cargo trailer in tow to move a college student back home. We got about 65 miles out when in a split second and no warning, our trip became cancelled. It turns out that 2 deer wanted to be on the same spot of highway at the same instant I needed to be there. The thing is, I was traveling south, one was traveling east and the other was traveling west and all 3 of us was doing 63 mph!

After all that, the truck runs and drives normal. But, the only things on the front that don't need to be replaced are the 2 head light assemblies. Everything from the head lights down will need to be replaced, including the front bumper.

Sure made for a horrific sound!

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
DAAAAANNNG
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! This brings a question about having a "Cow Catcher" on the front of your TV. I see a lot of semis from Canada and most of them have them on the front of their rigs although I think they are more for Moose and Elk and Bear, real heavy duty stuff! Where can a guy get one for his TV and a heavy duty one not a cheapie?
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
You really want a new truck BAD to go to that extreme. Enjoy your new truck and glad no one was hurt!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Did you skin the deer?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you made it through ok. Many people are killed or seriously injured every year when one of those critters comes over the hood and through the windshield.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
David, just on Thursday, wife and I was talking about spending some money on it to spruce 'er up verses buying a new one. Think I have also rendered that thought somewhere in all these threads. However, caught wife on the computer yesterday looking at what was in stock at McCormick Motors down in Nappanee.

KOLCB, It was 5:30 am and dark. Although, the biggest one that did all the damage would have yielded a good bunch of chops! It just died of blunt force trauma and not tore up at all. I was just more concerned about getting everybody back to Goshen and didn't really have time or the tools to bleed and gut it. Besides, it was 9 degrees when this all happened and I had to have a tow truck come out and pull the end of the bumper off the driver side tire.

DQDick, the one that came from the right was a flash in the head light and the one from the left was hit on my side directly down in front of me. All I saw of it was the ridge on it's back at the instant of impact.

Now that my knuckles have turned back to their normal color and got the brown washed from my under garments, I am fine. This is just one of those deals where we have to take it one step at a time. And, make no mistake, I do thank our Father from above that this was no worse. He's telling me something......I just have to figure out what it is.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Had my truck two weeks and a deer decided to own the road. Luckily it was only a dimple in the bumper, which is still there. Talked with an Ohio Highway Patrol officer several years ago. Ohio averages 86,000 deer car collisions each year.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am glad y'all are ok! I doubt if I'd mess with road kill if it was that cold!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
There's a reason for Ranch Hand front ends and bumpers....We got a ton of deer in our neighborhoods here and it is usually only a matter of time. Unless you are really moving the Ranch Hand handles it. Not sure if it woulda helped at 63 mph but I would bet you woulda bent the Ranch Hand and not much damage to the truck...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Just a bit of an update. Got everything lined up with the insurance company yesterday. So far, this looks like it will all get done without a wrench thrown into the gears! Going down to McCormick's this morning to get the estimate done. At this point, only God knows what is going to happen.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Things are happening fast! Got the check in the mail yesterday from insurance company to get the old Chevy spiffied up!! The body shop down at McCormick's is busy but, she goes in on Feb 17th. The body shop manager said he would most like have it done in 2 days. 3 at the very most because, there is no sheet metal to change or paint. He's going to have all the parts ordered and waiting for the 17th. So, perhaps we will still get to go to the Destin FL area around the first of March after all.