Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Big Day Today!

Well today was Tom's last active work day with Delta. Quite a transition after working 45 years (USAF, PanAm & Delta). Wish we could celebrate his retirement, but that will have to wait a few weeks. Tomorrow morning he will go into the hospital for a hip replacement and the beginning of medical leave from his job, followed by 5 weeks of accumulated vacation and finally his retirement. So retirement date will be sometime mid or late September. Guess we can celebrate with our first long road trip with the Montana to the MOC Rally! So would appreciate all your thoughts and prayers tomorrow and during his recovery therapy. Will post tomorrow night and let you know how he is doing.

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Hope everything goes real good with the operation. At least you will have some time to plan all those great trips when you retire. Good luck.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We wish Tom the best.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Hi Joyce,

Sounds like a big day. It can be a tough one for Tom too. The last day is generally an up and down thing. (It sure was for me when I left the AF!) It does sound like you've got a lot planned though since you described the rally as your first road trip.
I would say "sorry" about the hip replacement, but I suspect things will be better for him once the surgery is a few weeks in the rear view mirror. SO... the celebration may be delayed, but congratulations are definitely in order. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Joyce, All my prayers and thought's will be with you and Tom during this time, I know what you are going through as Walt has had one surgery and has to have another one in a few weeks. But as we have been trying to do is look on the bright side when we can hook on to the Montana and do some traveling. I truly hope that we get to make it to the Rally but that is still up in the air right now.

May the Lord Bless And Keep you Both During this time.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:58 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Tom and Joyce--congratulations on the retirement. Quite an accomplishment!! Good planning though to do the surgery on their time!! Just a word of encouragement for you both in regard to the hip replacement. Pat's Dad had his left side done the Dec. he was 83--and by March was back on the ski slopes! He had the right side done last June just before he turned 86. He was on the ski slopes once again this last winter. His comment about this winter's skiing--"You know this replacement has slowed me down a little--but I AM glad I did it!" His only additional concession to safety is a helmet his grandson the snowboarder got him. He is still gardening and doing all the repair work on his stick built house. Flying to CA this fall. Must say that he REALLY worked hard at the rehab and that was the key for him. He told them what he wanted to accomplish and after they picked themselves up off the floor they did everything they could to help him achieve it. We'll pray that Tom's surgery and rehab allow him to return to doing all the things he loves best without pain. Keep us posted. Bill and Pat
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:15 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
GordenR hit the nail on the head in his post above..."the celebration may be delayed, but congratulations are definitely in order".
Our thoughts are with you.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Hope by now the surgery is done and a good report has been received from the doctor(s). Have heard great things about hip replacement. My prayer is that Tom's is the best. Right behind you on retirement.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I too hope the surgery went well and you are at the hospital sitting with him. Good luck to both of you and congrats to him on his retirement!
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Surgery went great!!!
Just left the hospital after a long day. Surgery went well and he was in his room by 4:30 this afternoon. Still has his epidural in for pain. Tomorrow they will get him up on his feet for the first time and we will start on the therapy.
Thanks to all of you for your great posts of encouragement, thoughts, and prayers!
I am going to print this topic out and take it to Tom tomorrow so he can read it. You guys are the greatest!!! Will post again tomorrow night to fill you in on tomorrows activities.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #11
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Sorry to hear about Tom's surgery. Glad it went well.He will be up & about soon. A good friend of ours had it done in May , He& I played golf 2 weeks ago. Congratulations on his retirement.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Joyce... that's great news! We were thinking about him today.

And to Tom...... congratulations on a successful surgery. There's a light at the end of the tunnel now and you'll be up and walking towards it in no time!
And just think, you'll be at the rally kicking up your heels and meeting & greeting all sorts of wonderful new friends in September.

Again, glad to hear everything went well and we'll still keep you in our thoughts.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Great to hear that the surgery was a success!! Now we'll all be praying that the rehab goes well and accomplishes all that Tom wants. Dad says get one of those grabber tools so that Tom can pick up stuff he drops and doesn't have to call you to pick it up for him. He says they are keepers for later--quite helpful for grabbing stuff off tall shelves once you are allowed to bend over again! Keep us posted.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Was in a panic last night when I could not get on to give you all a report. First of all he really enjoyed reading all the posts from you guys and is even more anxious to get through this therapy and make it to the Rally to meet many of you.

Yesterday was a really rough day as was this morning. When they got him up for the first time he managed to pass out on us which seems to be normal after laying flat on your back for over 36 hours. This morning we tried again with even worse results. However this time he managed to make it to his chair before passing out with a hugh drop in his blood pressure which required an emergency visit from the respiratory department. When he finally came around he kind of smiled looking up into the faces of five females (minus me who was trying to just stay out of the way). His first words were, "Am I gone?" The nurses and therapists assured him they were not angels and he managed to remain in the chair for 20 minutes. Gave us a scare and definitely put a hole in his enthusiam. However want to end this on a good report. Later this afternoon he was up again and managed to walk a few steps with his walker. Amazing improvement in just over 6 hours. All have assured him he has to start his recovery with baby steps. Looks like he will have to remain in the hospital until Sunday or Monday. Thanks again for all your thoughts, parayers, and encouragement. As for me I am totally exhausted at this point. Just got out of a hot bath and will soon allow my head to hit the pillow for what I hope will be a good nights sleep. Will give you an update soon.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:41 AM   #15
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Joyce - Thank you for bringing us up to date on Tom. You both have been in our thoughts and prayers. This is one of the first posts I looked at this morning when I was able to get back on line for your update. The worst is over, and the rest is now down hill on Tom's road to recovery. Each day he will be getting stonger and those 'baby steps' will be a 'teenager's' before you know it! Continue the good progress Tom!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:38 AM   #16
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
A final post on Tom's progress. He is settled in at home and progressing well with his physical therapy. We are really excited about the fast progress. The rally will definitely be a go if we continue at this pace. Thanks again to all of you great folks for your concern and interest. Can't wait to meet all of you somewhere down the road and give you a hug of appreciation!!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #17
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Joyce - Great news! Give Tom our best. We'll keep him in our thought and prayers.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #18
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Joyce a good friend of ours had a hip replacement earlier this year & 6 weeks later I played golf with him. Hope everything goes well with Tom.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote