Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
GiraffeG4

Anyone have any experience with this device or anything similar?

More than anything the height of my new Monte is giving me the heebie jeebies.

http://www.giraffeg4.com/rv.html

Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This is the first I've seen it. We added low clearance POI's to our GPS for free and just watch the signs. As you go, you will feel more secure. You can also buy a truckers atlas that lists low clearance overpasses. Also, there are a number of GPS's that are pre-loaded with low clearance data. I am not going to pre-judge the Giraffe, but at even 45 mph you will be under an overpass quickly. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I claim it is only good if your are trying to squeeze under a low object. If your are driving 20 mph or faster I doubt it would give you time to react.
Just my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
They work okay up to about 25mph. But the WOW factor is really high when someone asks "what is that ball on top of your grill"
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
On a lark I purchased one.

Yes, I realize that even at 20 mph it may be too fast to react if the unit recognizes a height challenged road. And yes, I have the Magellan RV GPS that is height, width and weight aware, but most folks that I know were driving relatively slow then they hit an overhang in an unmarked gas station or tree branch in a campground.

That's why I think this thing will be an added insurance policy for my investment, just like my new tire pressure monitoring system is as well as my new surge protector with voltage protection.

Here at my house we call these "thing babies". After you buy your "thing" you need to get a bunch of new "thing babies". Heck that's part of the fun of having a new "thing".
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This has been brought up in the forum some time ago. I believe the consensus was that it was too expensive for the minimal range and that there was some question of the accuracy. I think there were so many others that came up with suitable alternatives.

But when you get one, you'll have to tell us all about how good (or bad) it works.

It does seem like a clever idea but my initial take is it needs higher accuracy at longer distances to allow time to adjust!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
I hope to get the unit before we go to Zion for a week next weekend. If I do, I promise that I will give a good write-up on it's ease of installation and use, as well as its practicality.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Save your money, buy a truckers atlas instead. It lists all heights along with alot of other good stuff. I full timed for 4 years in 44 states and always checked the atlas before moving out to my next destination. Nary a problem with the rig. never scraped the roof once. BUT, I think the most dangerous places are in the campgrounds loaded with trees. AND, most CG's will disavow any responsibility for low hanging branches. It's like "Buyer Beware"...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's where we are at. Rand McNally RV GPS backed up with a Trucker's Atlas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Save your money, buy a truckers atlas instead. It lists all heights along with alot of other good stuff. I full timed for 4 years in 44 states and always checked the atlas before moving out to my next destination. Nary a problem with the rig. never scraped the roof once. BUT, I think the most dangerous places are in the campgrounds loaded with trees. AND, most CG's will disavow any responsibility for low hanging branches. It's like "Buyer Beware"...
Nope, don't need the atlas, my RV GPS handles that.

The drawback to those atlas is: 1) they might not be current, especially if they put 4" of asphalt on the bridge but didn't bother to change the height sign, 2) those atlases don't cover the out-of-the-way roads we like to travel, 3) there's nothing in those atlases about the canopy height of any fuel station, or any other such building, and 4) tree limbs take off air-conditioners and satellite dishes and do major damage to roofs (I've seen it...ugly) and tree branches poke holes in our roofs.

These are the things I want to avoid. Oh...and one more thing, some of these height challenged areas are practically impossible to see in the dark. I get to try the technology on a 30-day money back guarantee, so it's definitely worth my time.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
These are the things I want to avoid. Oh...and one more thing, some of these height challenged areas are practically impossible to see in the dark.
[/quote]

I'm retired like you, so tell me what's driving in the dark .
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
I'm old and slow now that I'm retired. Which occasionally requires me to show up a campground after the sun has set for another day.....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I'm old and getting slower and more senile, but if I'm not in and set up by 2:00 pm I figure thats late. 250 to 300 miles a day is all I care to travel if possible.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

These are the things I want to avoid. Oh...and one more thing, some of these height challenged areas are practically impossible to see in the dark.
I'm retired like you, so tell me what's driving in the dark .
[/quote]

Pardon me, but....X2
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If I have two hours of daylight that's fine with me. I hate arriving in the dark. I must be a little younger than BigRed715, because I use a 500 miles limit and the two hours of daylight limit which is usually beyond 2pm, but I like the way he thinks and over time the limits will change.

I think I like the idea that in campgrounds this device might be good in order to warn against low hanging branches and whatnot especially in the dark. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

I've only arrived at a campground towing the RV once that I can remember. Fortunately it was so late, I had to park in overflow and couldn't set up camp until the next day (in daylight), but RVers who travel a lot more than I do and arrive in the dark, this might be a good investment.

Rainer, keep us posted on your new "thing baby".
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

I'm old and getting slower and more senile, but if I'm not in and set up by 2:00 pm I figure thats late. 250 to 300 miles a day is all I care to travel if possible.
Again, pardon me, but totally agree.. Leave campground 10ish arrive in destination 3-4 in the afternoon and set-up, relax and get to know the neighbors! Exception to the rule is limited time to get to destination. Then usually still no more than 4-5 hours, 300 miles per day. . (And no setup in the dark! Nope, do not like that!)

And, if there are limbs in the way, we ask for different site! But, of course, since we have roof-top satellite, we ask for a site to be able to find the satellites in the first place. Amazing how many campgrounds include that in their presentation and hand-out. The one we are in now even have the details as to #'s to use in set-up!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
I can appreciate the comments about not trying to arrive at a campground after dark. But things happen. A perfect world this is not.

And it would be nice if campground hosts pass along information on low hanging branches, but several times when I have come into a campground late, all I get is a note telling me what site to choose, and "see you" in the morning.

I'm going to do what I can to protect myself at a reasonable cost. This includes:

1) a Blue Ox bedsaver
2) a tire pressure monitoring system
3) a spare tire for my Monte and another for my truck
4) a surge protector
5) an inline water filter
6) a water pressure regulator
7) slide out awning toppers
8) a road assistance policy
9) a 12-ton bottle jack
10) extra hoses, clamps, fuses, light bulbs, and more
11) and now I've added a height warning system

I've probably got even more, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Some people wear a belt AND suspenders!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
[quote]Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Some people wear a belt AND suspenders!
[/quote

. . .and don't we all laugh at those people?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The way I look at it, buy what makes "you" comfortable. Good luck with your new system. We will be at Ruby's near Bryce and Zion in a few weeks. We're on our retirement trip home. Give us a report once you have used it for a while.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote