Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
Portable Waste Water Tank

Recommendation on how to pick out a portable waste water tank? What are the pros and cons or issues with using a portable waste water tank?
What brand has the least problems? Is over filling a problem?

Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have a Thetford 35 gal. tank- It has 4 wheels and is relatively easy to maneuver on uneven surfaces- It has a guage to indicate level of contents- I pull it to the dump station behind the tv- We use it for all 3 holding tanks on the fiver- Always dump black first, kitchen second and shower last- This allows black residue a better chance to be evacuated- Lastly, I add a gallon of w/s washer solution to eliminate any residual smell or bacteria- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Bet you will get quite a few responses. I don't know what size holding tanks you have, but we have a 50 gallon black Tank and two gray tanks totalling 93 gallons. My wife and I have dry camped for a week at a time, and by being careful, found the existing tank capacities adequate. If we were in a park that had bathroom facilities, we could go much longer. Some parks have honey wagons that will come to your site and dump your tanks. Guess you have to balance the purchase, carrying, emptying, cleaning, and extra capacity of whatever size you would get against your holding tank requirements and the additional capacity you need above and beyond your fiver tanks. Years ago we bought one, carried it around for a couple of years, and never used it, so we sold it. Thetford is a common brand, with a good reputation and I think their smallest is 12 gallons, and run up to 30 or 35 gallons. The one we had ( but never used), had an overflow valve that prevented overfilling, and it was good for gray and black tank waste.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We have three 46 gallon (2 grey and 1 black) tanks and would seek a 50 to ensure were able to completely to empty a black tank in one trip. And if we are at a campground with no sewer we check for "honey bucket" service (typically $5 to $10 per visit an only certain days of the week). We don't have a "Tote" yet and we have not boondocked for this reason. This is my opinion on determining what tote to use (a little more than one tank's capacity). Then several trips to the dump station that is hopefully close by to empty the other tanks. This sounds timeconsuming because DW is not as water thrifty as I'd like.

I like the overflow valve idea but wonder how this works and how to stop the flow at the tote when it's full. I'm guessing an additional valve at the tote input is warranted to minimize spillage (ewww). But if the tote is more capacity than a single tank, hopefully this is not a problem which is more what I'd be after.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We have carried a 22 gal. blue boy for 8 years now. I find that it stores on my rear rack very well when not needed (most of the time). I just watch when filling not to over flow it. Nothing says you have to completly fill it. I did add a larger set of tires and wheels that I can remove when not needed.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We generally make it an every other day chore while camping w/o full hook up. Never really emptying the tanks-just taking the "cream" off the top. LOL. Our family calls them turd hearses.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have the Blue Boy for almost 10 years ours is a 15 or 20 gal tank. I did put on inflatable rubber wheels it's a lot quitier now and rolls easier too, it dosent get stuck in a rut with those fat tires. another thing you need to think about is the weight of these tanks when full, yhey can kill your back, unless you have a maserator to pump it into the tank when it is in the truck bed, then you dont have to lift it.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
We have the 35 gallon Thetford. Using the FULL indicator is a little tricky. If you fill slowly it will pop up before you overfill. With the connection at the coach being higher than the tank, you are safe until you fill the tank and the hose back to the dump valve; then you are in deep d^&-d^$ !!
Pros are, if you stay in a campground without sewer connections long enough to fill your coach tanks, then the only other options are pick up service or breaking camp to go to the dump station.
Cons are: its no more pleasant than dealing with any other method of waste disposal, AND it takes multiple trips, but if your tanks are full this becomes a big PRO.
There are no folks on this entire earth as helpful and friendly as RVers. We all look out for each other... until you overfill a poop tank, this tends to cause sudden blindness. I know this to be true from both perspectives :~(
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Does anyone have the 42 gal. Barker tank? Opinions?
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the largest blue boy. We rarely use it now days as we are always on full hooks except when in travel mode. We did use it early on when we used many Fair grounds for Rv rallies that did not have full hookups. We never had any kind of a issue using them. we later reverted to having the honey wagon come around and do the dumping when needed. We haven't used the blue boy for over 10 years but you never know.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
We generally make it an every other day chore while camping w/o full hook up. Never really emptying the tanks-just taking the "cream" off the top. LOL. Our family calls them turd hearses.

Turd Toters! LOL
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We have a 25 gallon portable tank and would not want a larger tank. They are bulky and take up lots of room no matter where you store and transport them.

You still have to maneuver the tank from the camper to truck and from truck to dump. 42 gallons of wastewater is a load at 350lbs.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
We have a 25 gallon portable tank and would not want a larger tank. They are bulky and take up lots of room no matter where you store and transport them.

You still have to maneuver the tank from the camper to truck and from truck to dump. 42 gallons of wastewater is a load at 350lbs.
Yes but with the larger ones you can put more kids on them on the way to the dump station.

Seriously, I go big and if I do not feel like it, I do not have to fill it. just what ever you do make sure it has 4 wheels or you will have to pick up more weight
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote