Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Ye Ole Faithful Lantern

Unbelievable!

Today I finally decided to clean out the shed. It contained many little treasures, most of which I long forgot about. The biggest surprise was finding my old Coleman Gas Lantern. I have had it about 45 years and long thought I'd lost it. It was in a dusty broken down whiskey box I used for moving many years ago. It just followed me from place to place. The last time I used it was at least 30 years ago.

So I took it out and cleaned it up. The old mantels still were intact so I was careful not to disturb them. It was also half full of gas. Back then in my tent camping days I used Amoco High Test, never did use the Coleman fuel, too expensive. I pulled the pump out and lubed it with machine oil and put it back. To my amazement it was in pretty good shape. I never thought it would light, but after pumping it up, a few twirls on the generator to clear it and one match and I had light.

Now I have emptied the antique gas, and I'm going to flush it out, put new mantels on it and fill it with some good fuel. Probably use it at the far end of the campsite to draw bugs.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Hang on to that old light, they dont make them anymore. they are and were very effecent, they are a hot item on e-bay. have one of my early propane two bager and it uses far less fuel than my new propane super bright one bager. I still have my colman 3 burner white gas stove and it still works great.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Unbelievable!

Today I finally decided to clean out the shed. It contained many little treasures, most of which I long forgot about. The biggest surprise was finding my old Coleman Gas Lantern. I have had it about 45 years and long thought I'd lost it. It was in a dusty broken down whiskey box I used for moving many years ago. It just followed me from place to place. The last time I used it was at least 30 years ago.

So I took it out and cleaned it up. The old mantels still were intact so I was careful not to disturb them. It was also half full of gas. Back then in my tent camping days I used Amoco High Test, never did use the Coleman fuel, too expensive. I pulled the pump out and lubed it with machine oil and put it back. To my amazement it was in pretty good shape. I never thought it would light, but after pumping it up, a few twirls on the generator to clear it and one match and I had light.

Now I have emptied the antique gas, and I'm going to flush it out, put new mantels on it and fill it with some good fuel. Probably use it at the far end of the campsite to draw bugs.
American Pickers are going be pulling up in front of your house any minute now!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Does bring back memories. I still have mine that I got somewhere back in the 60's so about teh same age. Last time I tried it a few years ago it still worked fine also.
Also still have my old Coleman stove of about the same age plus my father-in-law's Coleman stove that is even older. Both of those still worked great last time I tried them about 5 yrs ago.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
Nice story! Thanks for sharing. It is so neat to run across such things. The memories come flooding back! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
If you can post a picture of the old lantern I would love to see it. I have a few older ones that I have aquired in the past few years. There is something I like about those old lanterns.Nostalgic I guess.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote