Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

I think to avoid the back-ins you could possibly be missing some great scenery. I like my big picture window in the rear and often the perimeter sites (i.e. back ins) allow for a better view.
I agree with this. In scenic parks with lakes, rivers, woods, the sites with best views out the windows are the back-ins around the perimeter.
I can back OK, but am far from great at it. At one park last summer, after backing and pulling forward several times trying to get just exactly where I wanted, a guy lying in a hammock in the next site called out "If you run out of diesel, I'll go get you some". I just told him to go back to sleep. Don't you just love it.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
When we first started, we would ask for the pull-throughs, but found that the quality of those sites was usually sub par.

All of the best RV Park sites where we have had the "IT Factor" have been places we had to back into.

We find one of the best features of the Montana is the back window. When we boondock, we always consider the solar panel exposure and the back window exposure!

We should probably start a topic of "What's out your back window?".
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
I got to tell you, what everyone is saying about taking it easy and slow is the way to go... Don't let anyone push you, whether on the road or in the CGs. You will get used to it quick. Just about the time you figure you have it mastered is when to look out. Thats when a person gets the wake up call.. Establish your routine and follow it. You'll do ok Welcome to the 5er world.

I drove just about everything there is from fire vehicles, short haul truck, bus, Class A,B,C, etc. I was out of the 5ers for about 10 years in a Class A. Backup camera etc spoiled me.. When I brought the Monty home where I have to park it next to the house is a tight left then right swing with all sorts of phone and power boxes to manuver around. I left it in the driveway the first night even though it hung into the street. A little intimadated at trying it Next morning I hooked up and put it where it belonged with no problem... Night before just didn't feel like the right time to attempt it so I didn't. Now it slips in there almost like it was a pull through

Enjoy your rig and have a grand time out there..
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Thank you all for sharing all your experiences. This is a great forum.

Went from a popup to 5th Wheel as you did. Been around large heavy equipment and can run a lot of them but still wanted a smaller 5th, but my DW wanted this one so we have it. After a little practice I can now go most anywhere with it.

My best advice is to use a backup guide with a radio. I like back in sites as mentioned above. Last summer I had to back out of a busy fuel station and parallel park the 5th to get it out of the way. Couldn't have done it without my DW and the radio's. We work good as a team now.

Oh yes, and LOOK UP. This thing is high.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
Thank you so much everyone for your replies and sharing your experience(s) and tips.
Even though I did okay towing it from the campground back to the dealership, I certainly do have much to learn.
The backing I will try next spring when we go out. After all, sometimes there's lull in the camground activites, so my attempts at backing should provide some "entertainment"

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sherri48

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and sharing your experience(s) and tips.
Even though I did okay towing it from the campground back to the dealership, I certainly do have much to learn.
The backing I will try next spring when we go out. After all, sometimes there's lull in the camground activites, so my attempts at backing should provide some "entertainment"

Sherri
Always feel like you can ask for help at the campground also. Guys just love to show their "expertise". Was at a state park last summer when an "older" gentleman and his wife pulled in. He never even tried to park his 5er. He stopped in the middle of the road, got out and went to a neighbor's camp and spoke with him a minute. That neighbor got in the guys truck, backed it into the site, shook hands, and went back to his camp. Friendly folks these RV'ers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 AM   #27
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
BB_TX, thank you for your reply.

DH did the backing up on our first time out and for his first time he did very well.
Other campers have to be the best folks for offering a hand when you need it.

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sure do agree with all the points about wonderful views on back in sites..there are some great one and should be taken advantage of when possable....However everything is give and take......."Just a note about backing. We are told in school bus drivers school and refresher courses that 70% of ALL accidents occur while backing" ...I go with the odds...When possible..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #29
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Being an old driving instructor in the military of 18 wheelers hauling liquid oxygen, nitrogen, and RP-1 rocket fuel, the first thing I would recommend to anyone who was backing is -To get out of the vehicle and walk to the back observing what is around you on all sides and above you. Then have a spotter behind the vehicle and have the spotter stay where you can see them in your mirror. The spotter has to use a little common sense also. If he/she can see the driver in the rear view mirror, the driver can also see them. When you graduated from my class, you were suppose to be able to parallel park the 18 wheeler with a spotter and backing with the mirrors. No hanging out of a door. Usually took about 120 hours of drivers training. First thing I would recommend is to go to a large empty parking lot with yellow lines and start practicing there using the mirrors and spouse/friend as the spotter. Just take it slow and it will come to you as it is real easy to control if you don't go to fast. Have fun is the best way. If there are two of you there, make a contest out of it..... Happy motoring...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #30
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good advice, deadeye. It sounds like you are a "roads" scholar.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #31
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I had to get a Class A license because I sometimes pull my 5th wheel with a class 8 tractor. We did all the written test got passed those and then went for the driving test. Got back to the starting place and the person giving me the driving test told me to parallel the rig over there " Say What?" Yep- had to do it- with in 6 inches of the curb, no spotter. Lucky me got my license.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To me, backing is not a big deal, it just requires going very slowly and checking mirrors on both sides frequently. When backing into a site it helps to again go very slow and to have a helper guiding you. If no helper, then as others said, get out frequently and check and doublecheck that you are going where you want and there are no obstacles in the way. Like most everyone, I prefer pullthroughs when overnighting but I like the more scenic sites when staying for awhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #33
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with Bill, don't be afraid to ask a fellow camper.
We were camping in last month when a guy and his wife pulled in there 35' toyhauler. Long story, short they mess trying to get there trailer in their spot for atleast 30 minutes maybe 45.
My DW hates it when I but in, but I could not take it any longer and gave him some help. 2 minutes later he was putting down the jacks.

Most of us are glad to help.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #34
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My wife and I use FRS radios also when parking. My only problem is to get her to hold the mic button down while talking. Often when I view her in the rear view mirror I can see her lips moving but I don't hear anything. Can't understand it. All she has to do is hold the mic button down and keep talking. She's getting better at it. When I can't hear her I get out and look for myself. In fact, I've gotten out many times even when I could hear her just to verify that I was doing okay. We've taken to using a lot of hand signals also.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:29 AM   #35
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

My wife and I use FRS radios also when parking. My only problem is to get her to hold the mic button down while talking. Often when I view her in the rear view mirror I can see her lips moving but I don't hear anything. Can't understand it. All she has to do is hold the mic button down and keep talking. She's getting better at it. When I can't hear her I get out and look for myself. In fact, I've gotten out many times even when I could hear her just to verify that I was doing okay. We've taken to using a lot of hand signals also.

Orv
Orv,

Ditto, ditto and ditto!!

My wife has just about figured out her left from her right....it really helps me during the backing chore for her to know the difference!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #36
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Back from the driver's side if possible; in other words clockwise. Stop if you can't see your guide. Use simple hand signals that you and your guide have agreed upon. Practise backing in a parking lot including using your hand signals. Tell your guide that they must see your face in the mirror or you can't see them. Another hint I haven't seen yet is always tell the park where you are booking a site the length of your truck-trailer combination. I park for much of the summer in the same park. The park super will try to accommodate people with long rigs by giving them sites with lots of turning room in front, fewer obstacles such as trees or ones where they can pull into a vacant site across from theirs and then back in straight. He often suggests getting into the park early if he has heavy bookings so there is more chance to manouver before the crowd arrives. If he can, he will help people back-up by being a guide or he will ask one of us to help after asking the camper if he/she would like assistance.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #37
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
(No evil flaming comments about this post and what I am gonna say, eh?? )

OK, ole big mouth will check in here with her take on the CB's and backing in.

Poor Al, when we get to the point of needing to talk on the CB, I tell him, just put it down on the seat, and listen. Then I push that button, do not let up and chatter away continuously.

SNICKER, he does get out and have a look now and then, and I run back and forth (depending on the site, trees, blind side backing, other obstacles) and talk away telling him what I am seeing.

SNICKER, he ain't gonna have a chance to say one word.

Method to madness: that way the CB does not fade in and out, all the handheld units we have owned and used, there is a bit of delay once you start talking, so, I start and then don't stop, and then there is no "bbrrszzzzzz oh, go 2 foot more, bbbrrrszzzzz, NO, not that way!"
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am with Carol on this one.. When we do use the radio's If I am backing I just listen. We usually do not need them as we almost always go for the pull throughs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When doing this the first few times you may want to allow the driver to comment. For example, my guide, at first, used to say, come to the left. Ok, which way is left? Her left or mine? Back of the trailer? Very confusing. At first I would respond by asking her to tell me to bring the rear of the trailer towards her or away from her. I usually can see her in the mirror so I know where she is at. It takes a few times to get get the lingo down so you each understand what the other is saying or wanting.

We use $30 walkie talkies with rechargeable batteries. They work great. None of that interference Carol referred to. We also take them to Walmart and to the malls so when one is done shopping we can contact the other.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Steve,

Just to clarify, there is not really any interference, just a delay in the beginning of the transmission.

We use our cell phones in the malls, shopping centers, free minutes to each other, and all that good stuff.

I try to not say "left or right", we find that "drivers side and passenger side" work better for us.

But, you are 100% correct, practice a few times and agree on verbage and hand signals, and the driver stops if he does not feel comfy no matter what his "director" says.

Now, it would be nice if Al and I could get out and get some more practice at this, I am gonna forget the "proper verbage"!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote