Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Testing WOW what a can of worms that will open. More Government and everyone knows what that means. I went thru the CDL change, was suppose to put better and more professional drivers on the road. I think it only put more people on the Government pay roll... Did it help, you can be the judge of that, because your out on the road. I think it put a lot of professional and good Truck drivers out of a job. Because some couldn't pass the test.

Should we test Rver's, why not most would be able to pass. However some couldn't pass the physical if they were required to pass the ones Truck drivers take. No diabetic, and no BP 140/90 or above just to name a few. And don't forget you will also be getting older and things do change when that happens. Oh well its really a hard decision. I have said for sometime there will at some time be testing and some type of indorsement for the Lic for Rver's. Just another way for the States to get more of your money.. GBY....

P.S. I do have a CDL Class A....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I never get bored reading these discussions. Commercial vehicles only at our weigh scales in Newfoundland and, as far as I know, all across Canada. BC has a regulation on break-away braking and trailer/dingy brakes with a weight threshold on when these are required. Any police officer can stop any vehicle that they suspect is unsafe.

I have a very good friend who was involved with vehicle safety testing with the federal Dept. of Transport. According to him, driver trainin/education has many benefits but the primary reasons our roads kill fewer people per miles driven are:

1. Vehicle design including tires.
2. Seat belts and airbags.
3. Less drinking and driving.
4. Better roads.

I need an endorsement to drive a motorcycle but not an RV. An air brakes endorsement is only required for vehicles over a certain weight.

IMHO the best things that we, as a community, can do to improve RV road safety is to push manufacturers to produce a safe product, match TV, trailer and hitch appropriately, maintain our equipment and then to drive like everyone else on the road is our best friend and just got their license.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote