Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
387.86 for the Interceptor guage , EGT installation, setup and Ohio Tax. They have a new software version out and we are being re flashed next week. The guage itself just plugs into the diagnostic port under the steering column. There is a lot of software setup but not hard to do. The EGT line runs into a analog port in the back of the guage and is displayed on the readout. I am not sure how much the guage only cost.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #42
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Rich for the info now I have to start to save the money.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #43
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Yep this is one of the things I'll do this winter. The list just keeps getting longer and the wallet just keeps getting thinner.

I don't know which is worse kids in college or taxes. Either way they get it first and we make do with what's left.
Enjoy,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:39 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As I learn more about these guages and EGT temps, not to mention boost, I realize how useful they can be.Although I had heard of it on this and other forums I was amazed at how quickly the EGT's can increase. We have the "warning light on our guage set to activate at 1250 degrees EGT and it flickered at me more than once on not so steep grades in Southern Ohio last weekend., Right now I monitor EGT and transmission temp on the display. it is also set to auto cycle through Coolant temp,Oil pressure, Oil temp, engine load,When we get the latest re flash we will add Horsepower and instantaneous mpg. Of course Boost and RPM are monitored by the onboard guages so I have a fairly good picture of what is going on under the hood. As we learn more we may change or add to what we monitor.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #45
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When the gage let you know how hot the EGT was were you on cruise control? When you take it off cruise and manually work the pedal you can change that by speeding up before starting up a hill. You can see whats up the road where the cruise can not.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes it was on cruise and tow haul. I was experimenting with both to note the difference between the 05 V-10 gas and the 08 diesel. It is best on both NOT to use the cruise and tow haul at the same time. I thought the diesel might work better but it actually works worse.In order to keep the Diesel EGT down I got up the same hills slower that I would have with the V-10. The Diesel power was there but High EGT's and boost negate any advantage.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #47
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

-snip- The Diesel power was there but High EGT's and boost negate any advantage.
Rich, a bigger exhaust will help to cut back some of that exhaust temperature. Some people think that just opening up the exhaust by removing the muffler will cut restriction but most engines need some back pressure for proper operation.
The bigger Exhaust does not modify the electronics just gives you more air flow.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John....We are looking at that.Can't do anything that would effect the emission testing that Ohio does, Could not get away with removing the muffler.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #49
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Larger exhaust would certainly help in removing EGT's. You might check on Bank's but it's a new truck and hate to modify a new truck. Kevin at BLACK WIDOW DIESEL sez's that the 6.4 are good motors but the tree hugger's has made it under powered and fuel eating motor. Short burst of 1200 degrees should not hurt that motor though.If you want look up BWD and call KEVIN and talk to him. Good luck and you might want to check with Ford. Don't forget you have not broke in the motor yet.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #50
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Rich I don't know what size exhaust is on the new Ford trucks but I do know that going from a 3in on a Cummins to a 4in with a straight through muffler will cut the EGT by about 200* I just put gauges on my Dodge and pulling from North Idaho to Arizona with our Mountaineer and two quads on the caboose my temps never exceeded 1000*.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #51
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rich - you also need to find a 'qualified' Ford Diesel tech and have him give you new parameters for the 2008 (6.4L) Ford. The new Dodge runs hotter (DPF and regeneration requirement) so I'm thinking that the Ford might do so as well. I do know that all of the newer engines run hotter than the engines they replaced, I just haven't been able to find out by how much except on the Dodge (and I'd hate to ever run that hot for any length of time (1350 degrees for short bursts) as the effects of overheat are cumulative on metals .)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Skypilot.. We are doing that now or rather the folks who manufacturer the guage I have are. They do not have the correct operating parameters for the 06 6.4l and they have been downloading mine and updating. They will reflash soon. I could not get away with any modifications from normal on the exhaust system because of the Ohio Emmissions testing and I am not about to add any "performancing enhancing chips or software " as they WILL void the warranty. That is why I have my warning on the EGT set at 1250 and the 'do not exceed" set at 1275.It will remain there till I know better.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #53
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich
You should be safe with those settings. Yes I can see where the manufactures want the exhaust to run hotter to burn off the soot. Very interesting for sure.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #54
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our diesel guages were installed by a diesel shop in Castle Rock CO.. Have been happy with them.
We have the Turbo Boost,tranny temp and third one is a turbo temperature.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote