Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Winterizing Washer

After sitting here in the freezing weather for 3 days I started to thinking about winterizing my 3400. We did the deal but I am not at all sure that the washing machine water lines and pump were winterized. We did the drawn down of lines and blew them out with pressurized air, etc. Then the general pink stuff routine, but since the washer was not turned own during that routine I feel it was missed.

How do you folks with washers winterize your washer?

I know I plain missed it or at least didn't even think about it and don't know whether to be concerned or not. Guess we have to much time on our hands to think about stuff.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
billcham

M.O.C. #1404
Send a message via AIM to billcham Send a message via Yahoo to billcham
You probably missed it. All you have to do is turn on the washer and let antifreeze run into it until you see pink. We usually use about 1/2 gallon to do this. Then advance the timer and pump the water out. This will get the antifreeze into the pump and protect it.
billcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Hey, thanks a lot, yep, missed it. When the thaw finishes I'll check it for damages...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
There are a number of ways to winterize the W/D:

- The owner's manual.
- The yellow addendum sheet that came with the manual.
- How the dealer does it.
- How Spendide says to do it on their 800#.

All four are different...in my case, the least sounding method as being correct is the dealer, who used five gal of pink stuff. I think billcham is on the right track.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Not having a Spendide I don't have anything that really says on the washer, and I really do appreciate the input. I think the method offered is probably the way to go. Of course I have been know to wing it in lieu of reading a manual.

Thanks...
Bert, I don't really don't want to appear stupid BUUUT, looking at your signature line, what does LT3,DRW,D/A,CC mean?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Not having a Spendide I don't have anything that really says on the washer, and I really do appreciate the input. I think the method offered is probably the way to go. Of course I have been know to wing it in lieu of reading a manual.

Thanks...
Bert, I don't really don't want to appear stupid BUUUT, looking at your signature line, what does LT3,DRW,D/A,CC mean?
LT3 is a trim level, DRW is dual rear wheels, D/A is the Duramax/Allison engine/trans combo, CC is crew cab.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The manual for our washer says to pour a cup or two (forgot just how much) of antifreeze in the tub, then run a spin and drain cycle for ten seconds or so. Any water in the lines should have drained out when you opened the low point drains. Back when we winterized this is how we did the washer and we never had a problem with the washer or the lines (NE Kansas winters).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Steve, thanks for that, would have never thought of that one, will try it.

Never hand any trouble on a winterize for N. Dakota winters but this is our 1st washer in an RV and I just plain zoned it out. The washer manual doesn't say a darn thing and neither does the Montana book.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The first year I had my washer/dryer I winterized it just like Steve does.This year I tryed a different method.After the rest of the Montana is winterized -with the water pump still on and a gallon of the pink stuff-I set the temperature control to warm-this way i am sure both cold and hot water lines are getting the pink stuff.Then I set to spin to empty the drum.I think both methods are ok.I make sure after I`am done to turn off the faucets to the washer/dryer.

Why I switched methods was on the advice of a seasoned Rv`er.But I think Steve`s method is fine also.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
The first time I did it, I overflowed the washer into the camper as there is no tank for it. Ours is only hooked up to the city connection....and if that's not open....it's comming right back at you!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote