Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
CG with no water hookup in winter

We may eventually find it necessary to stay at a CG for the winter that the government does not allow the CG to offer water hookups in the winter season. (FWIW, it is city water.) My husband is young enough/capable of filling our on-board water tank but this sure isn't my idea of fun. Any suggestions on the best way to do this - using a "blue boy" and funnel???

Sandi & John & 3 Shih Tzu from Michigan (2 adult sons, 1 DIL)
Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There's always a way to make it work, but the first thing that comes to mind is, will you be able to empty those tanks?
From what I've seen, if they shut the water down, so follows the sewer lines or dump station.

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
The owner of the CG said the the sewage is available for use on the sites.

Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
If that is the case, I would have something like a 40 gallon tank you can carry in the back of the truck, fill that up with water and then hook up a hose with a 12v pump on it. Way easier than carrying it.
I always carry a spare water pump for the rig, this would be a great use for one.

327RKS
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Ozzie, you guys sure have the answers to all my many questions! Thank you.

Now, where does one find one of these 40 gallon water tanks of which you speak AND what type of pump exactly are you referring? I thought I had read somewhere at one time about pumps made for filling on-board fresh water holding tanks from an external water container. (Was I dreaming?? ) Does Camping World or some other such RV supply company sell something like this???

Old 08-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi When we dry camp, we use a blue boy with a boat bilge pump droped thru the big opening. Fill it right in the truck bed and pump it right into the unit. We usually travel out west with another Montana owner. He uses his blue boy for black and gray water and we use mine for fresh. Works great and Rule pumps are less than $20 at marine stores. Dan

Dan and Sandy
Farmingdale Maine
2004 3400rl, 2004 Chevy 2500 duramax crew(hyperteced)
www.foggybottommarine.com

foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks for that great info! Now what does this marine bilge pump operate off of? Do you plug it in, is it battery operated, or ? Never seen one in action so not sure how they function.

I did see where Camping World sells the 45 gal. portable fresh water holders which for the type of camping we would be doing would probably be best. I wonder if this pump would fit into the opening on that though ? I wonder if these pumps stand up long to extended use, like using it perhaps a couple times a week for up to six months. Of course, if you had to replace it every year, at the price, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway. Just curious, do you know how many gallons it is capable of pumping per minute?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #8
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi again They operate on 12v and almost last forever in a boat. I'm in the marine business and we seldom ever replace on that hasen't been abused. Rule pumps are the best. Go into a marine place and look at them. We sell the 360 size for $18.49. Dan

Dan and Sandy
Farmingdale Maine
2004 3400rl, 2004 Chevy 2500 duramax crew(hyperteced)
www.foggybottommarine.com

foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
To foggyb...

Do you have a link to that Blue Boy and pump you're talking about?

We have an extended stay coming up at our lake and we bring our own water. 5 gallon containers is such a hassle and I'm thinking of a 20-30 gallon tank w/pump for the back of the truck.

327RKS
Old 08-25-2006, 04:15 AM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We gave one of these to our neighbor. It uses ordinary water hose fittings. He said it worked well. We got when it was on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9576

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Nice...thank you

It even had hose fitting on it already...

I found some tanks on sale here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...water-tank.htm

...a bit pricey, but these are the cheapest I've found so far.

327RKS
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

We gave one of these to our neighbor. It uses ordinary water hose fittings. He said it worked well. We got when it was on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576
I do have a question though...is that pump continuous? The pumps in our rigs run by pressure - all you would need is a valve at the rv end, and when you shut it off, the pump turns off after keeping the pressure up.

327RKS
Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 AM   #13
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Skip, that link you gave with the pump certainly looks like it would do the job, would have the appropriate fittings, and should stand up to some routine pumping and not at a bad price either!

If you needed something more compact for water and folds up, the 45 gallon portable water container from Camping World might suit your needs as well. Here is a link so you can take a look:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=1605&src=SRQB

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
See what happens?
Put a few heads together and you can put together a nice little system...

327RKS
Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #15
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The manual says intermittent, not excessive lengths of time. It does not define "excessive time". It looks like there is no switch to start/stop it either. Those interested may want to read the pdf manual.

Note: The local store, presently, has them on sale for $25.00.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 AM   #16
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
This past February, we made a trip down to Cabo San Lucas, ME. Since we don't trust the water at any of the campgrounds along the route the improvised:

1. An ordinary 12 volt RV water pump (the original one from our 2955RL) was mounted inside a plastic ammo box (the kind that Cabelas sends you when you buy bulk ammo).

2. We added a 20' cord with 12VDC plug on one end and an ordinary rocker switch on the other with the switch mounted in the top of the ammo box.

3. We added 2 each 6' lengths of RV water hose with quick disconnects and cut a v-notch in the end of the hose that will go into the water bottle (to prevent self-sealing).

4. The cord and hoses all store neatly inside the ammo box between uses.

The kit will pump a 5 gal water bottle into the rig is just a couple of minutes. The most I pumped at any one time was 40 gallons (8 bottles). We had the water supplier deliver the water jugs to the RV, pumped them into the Monty and sent the supplier, with his bottles, on his way.

The best part of doing this was the total lack of "Montezuma's Revenge"!

Brad & Carol Lasater
2003 2955RL
2002 F250 2WD Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6-spd manual, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Pullrite 20K SuperSlider, Prodigy Controller
Golden Shores, AZ
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote