Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Propane fridge

I am curious from all you experts out there, how many days can you run your fridge on propane? I am planning on being on the road for 6-8 days w/o power. Any thoughts??

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dave, unless it is during the winter with the furnace running all the time, it should be no problem. I am assuming you don't use the stove a real lot do you?

We have found the things that take the most propane are the furnace and hot water heater.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Agree with Adelmoll.....if you're not in cold weather and using your furnace a lot it should not be a problem. I also assume you will using your hot water only as needed. You will be fine and have enough propane.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Never gave it much thought. As long as your battery stays up and you don't run out of propane the frige should work indefinately. The TV should give you adequate charge for the battery.

Don't forget you can change/refill the secondary bottle on the propane system without shutting down the propane system or the fridge.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,
We run our frig on propane all the time instead of "auto". We find that it refrigerates better when using the gas feature. We have gone almost three weeks when not using the furnace and still had gas left in one tank. The key as others have said will be how much you use the furnace and the gas hot water feature.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 215,000+miles
Manual, Superchip, K&N aircharger, Pyrometer,
5" Exhaust,SuperGlide 16K,Honda EU2000i,

STICK HOUSE IS IN Suches, GA

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Anchorage, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Ever wonder why a child can't read a Bible in school but can in prison?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This is an interesting subject to me also. I just had to switch to my new Kipor 3000ti gen when this last storm (Tues night) knocked out power to our whole area - including the CG. I wondered if it was better to switch the fridge over to propane, or let the gen run the fridge, using some of my $10.85 (3.5 gals @ $3.09) gasoline to keep it going. I decided to let the gen run the fridge.

The hot water heater does seem to use a lot of proapne. We only double up on the electric + propane when Cheryl and I have to both take showers one right after the other. I am thinking that the gen should run both if the need arises. Is my economics off on this?

Dave, I take it you are not planning on using your hot water heater during this road trip? It doesn't seem like the fridge would use much propane, but the water heater would be a different story as mentioned in the other replies. I will watch comments on this.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
I've never really given the propane use any consideration and we rarely are in a situation where we have shore power. We leave the fridge on auto and when we disconnect from home are on propane and then electric when the generator is run for other purposes. Propane consumption has never presented a problem even when boondocking for more than a week it is rare we switch to the second tank. Water and waste tanks are always the challenge...

As an afterthought on posting this I realized that 5th whls may not carry the amount of propane our TT does (2x30gal)..
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It also depends on how hot it is. Our frig on propane was having a really hard time in the triple digits.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks for all the input, really helps.

Helen,
Truth be told, I dont think I have ever used my oven.(not that great of a cook) =)

I am planning on using the hotwater heater in the morning for a shower, and have paper plates and cups already stocked in the coach. No dishes for me in the parking lot.. =)

I just filled my propane bottle for the 2nd time this summer. The first 1.5 weeks of April I used the furnace alot and burned through both bottles during that timeframe. After that I got smart and bought space heaters. Since April 22nd I have only used propane for the hot water heater and to run the fridge when the power went out. Monday of this week I finally ran the 1st bottle out and had to go refill it. That is 3 months of hot water on 1 tank using the coach 4-5 days a week?? Thanks again for all the input, sure helps in deciding things about this upcoming adventure. =)

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: When we go to the RGV for the winter, we run our HW and Frig. on propane 24/7 for the whole time we are there. Power is more expensive than propane and the unit runs better. We also get faster recovery time for the HW as there are always 3 of us showering. We use a bottle every 2 - 3 wks before refilling. Hope this helps.

If you can't play a sport....Be one.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill,
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am wanted to make it all the way to Goshen before having to drag the bottles out for a refill. Sounds like my 8 days on the road wont be a problem.

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You will probably get there and back before you even use the first tank Dave.
B.T.W., the oven makes a great place to store a loaf of bread.

Virgil47, I just finished reading your fishing experience. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. Way to go. Now if we could just get you to come to the rally on your way back to Georgia. I promise you it will be a lot of fun and a great way to end a wonderful summer.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Dave did you get the second AC, if so does the kipor run both AC's?

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Generally the fridge will do better on propane than on electricity but reading this thread apparently that's not always true.

My guess on how long it could go if constantly on propane... I'd guess about a month. Maybe more. We've run ten days at a stretch on the road with fridge on propane when on the road and electricity when in an rv park overnight. When in an rv park we run our water heater on propane only. When on the road the fridge is on propane and the WH is turned off. We do some cooking with the stove and oven, but not a lot. I keep tabs in a notebook when I change propane bottles. The last one went 6 weeks. We had no furnace usage during that time but either the fridge or water heater was on propane all that time.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I just know that everything works better in Tx. on propane than power (Elect) Dave, you will also get a chance to see our rear window screen at Goshen when you get there. Also the interior Sunscreen blind we put on our kitchen window.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Old 08-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ok guys and gals please educate me as to why the refrig and the hot water heater run better on the propane than electricity. If you are at a campground and you aren't paying for the electricity why would you use your propane? Are you keeping your hot water heater on both electricity and propane? Sorry newbie here.

Do you guys always run your frig on propane while traveling or do you shut it off and just let the frig keep itself cold until you plug it back in.

Dave,

So glad you are making it to the rally. Hopefully we will get to meet you somewhere down the road.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Colleen, I look forward to meeting everyone at the rally, too.

If you are not paying for your electricity, I believe that it's a given that you leave everything on electric. The fridge will automatically kick over to propane when there is no electric. From what I am reading, the fridge takes very little propane to run. I traveled 7 hours from my dealership with the fridge on propane, and I didn't even dent the supply.

The water heater definitely takes propane. If you are not sure of this, just watch the flame when that thing kicks on. Almost looks like massive overkill to heat 10 gals of water. Does it quickly. I only kick on the propane switch in the Montana when we have to both take showers, one after the other. Both electric and propane heat the water then. Very fast recovery. I switch it on before the first shower, then swith it off immediately after the second one. I do not leave it on when we are out of the shower.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:59 AM   #18
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
If we are at a campground and elect. is paid we use electric. We travel with the frig on when going to Tx. otherwise we would lose everything as it takes 5 days.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Old 08-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montana Sky, don't forget you have two bottles onboard. Just have both turned on and when one runs out the red flag comes up and it switches to use the other bottle. I doubt you'll use even one full bottle on your trip to Goshen.

Dsprik, I agree with putting everything on electricity when not paying for electricity but we still use the WH on gas simply because our older electrical system tends to pop breakers. Having the WH electric element come on when we have other power hogs running will trip the breaker. We avoid that by running it only on gas. Plus, on ours, gas gets the water hotter. That's important in the winter. On the new Montana we'll try electric to see if it does a good job of heating and then will use electricity most of the time. Or both elec and gas.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Dave did you get the second AC, if so does the kipor run both AC's?
Rodney, sorry I missed this. I thought about this, but haven't tried it yet. I would want Cheryl near the switch for the 2nd A/C to be ready to throw it off if I yelled from the gen to do so. I ran the main 15K A/C for 4 hrs last week when the power went out in that oppressive heat wave. It surged pretty good when the compressor first engaged, but I guess not overly reactive. It might run both (the front A/C is a 13.5K). I'd hate to have both try to kick on at the same time though...

I left the HW heater on electric - although I don't know how much it runs to maintain the tank heat. Ditto regarding the fridge. The outage was from midnight to 4 AM.

Don't know if we will ever need both A/Cs running at the same time. These dual pane windows are VERY impressive as BOTH a heat/cold thermal barrier AND a terrific sound barrier. So glad we got them. Also glad I got that gen. Didn't take long to reinforce my reasons for want that Kipor 3000ti. In 4 hrs w/ heavy A/C use, I used about 1/3 of a tank. 3.5 gal tank. It states in the literature that a full tank will last approx 9 hrs under it's rated load, so this is just about right.

With 115 heat index, I actually had to turn the A/C down (bump up the thermostat temp) because it was getting too cold inside (w/ one A/C running). I put my hand on the inside glass of a window during the middle of the day and I was surprised that it actually felt cool.

On Sundays, starting at 9 AM there is a co-ed softball league that plays games all day. I woke up at 10 AM today and stepped outside the rig, only to be surprised that there were two teams playing, yelling and screaming, less than 100 yds from the where I had been sleeping. Nose of the 3400 was pointed right at the field. I am a very light sleeper. Never heard a thing. I am impressed.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!