Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

And on the other side of the coin, I'd not own one to pull our 5er. Our first TV for our 2955RL was a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins LB that pulled it 50,000 + miles and never needed 4WD. The truck in my profile has 13500 miles and still no need for 4X4. I can't see sacrificing turning radius, ride quality, weight and cost for something I MAY need 2 years down the road, and I'd NEVER tell anyone NOT to get one. We live in snow country but we have a car that will do for that around here. Just my .02 worth.
All I can say Bob is "Good Luck, I sincerely hope you never have a need."
But, You said "I can't see sacrificing turning radius, ride quality, weight and cost for something I MAY need 2 years down the road," Well in 2 years 8 months I've used my 4WD no less than 7 times. From twice in the mud like you see here to twice on wet grass to 3 times in soft sand. That's with and without the Monty in tow. Had I not had 4WD I would have had significant towing charges not to mention the down time waiting for a tow truck. And without a doubt I'll be using 4WD again tomorrow.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting topic. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer. However, I'll never again be without 4x4. Our '92, '95, '99 tow vehicles including the one we started fulltiming with were 4x2. Never needed 4x4. But the '03 and '05 are both 4x4 and we've needed the 4x4 a few times including once I pulled over onto a South Carolina shoulder without realizing they'd had lots of rain. After spinning for awhile and going nowhere I put it in 4x4 and walked right out.

By the way, the 2005/6 Ford SuperDuty trucks have a SHORTER turn radius in the 4x4 than does the 4x2, by a full six feet (in diameter). That's because the 4x4 has the new frontend with far shorter turn radius but the 4x2 still uses the twin-I-beam front suspension. At least that's true for the 2005 models and I think it's still true for the 2006's. By the way, the 4x2 frontend is infamous for eating tires, especially if not frequently rotated. This 4x4 has 55k miles on the original BFG tires and looks to have another 10k to 15k. They're wearing very flat and have not been rotated since 31k miles. They were rotated twice in total, the last at 31k. The new frontend has the F550 control arms and the heavier F450/550 frame (resized for F250/350) and it apparently is a good one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #23
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Well, Bob does have a point. I have put over 102,000 on my 2WD F250. I always try to plan ahead whether it is for snow or soft ground. And "the best laid plans...go oft aglay" -- and my wife constantly reminds me of that.

Bottom line is: my next truck will be a 350/3500 4WD. There have been too many places we wanted to visit but decided against because of the 2WD.

'nough said.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve, thanks for pointing out the 05 Ford 4x4 front end being a tight turn champion and it really helped my CC LB get the Monty into some tight spots. Beware of signs that say Big Rig Friendly because we fell for that only to find the place had 50 amp spots. The sites were smaller than average and I still don't know how got my Monty into the little spot they had left with a big tree out front. It had more to do with luck than skill.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #25
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
4x4 all the way ...wouldnt leave home with out it.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #26
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Well, I have the 4X4 and I do give up a lot of turning radius. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a school bus, but I can live with that. When the time comes that you need all four wheels pulling, there ain't no substitute.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:01 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well..we deliberately and with much forethought did not get 4 wheel drive.We understand the value of it and understand that there are some parts of the country were 4X4 is a practical necessity.In our hunting camp on top of a mountain in NW Pa there was not a single vehicle that was not 4 wheel drive up on the hill..There are also many folks who use the TV as a dual purpose vehicle and their driving conditions warrant 4X4..then there are those folks that just like to drive off road. We would get a 4X4 without hesitation if we felt we had a practical need for it.The local campgrounds that our club goes to would not allow you to back into a soft grassy area and trench the turf nor would I back into one if I suspected it was to soft for the camper.When we back into a grassy area we always get out of the TV and test the firmness of the ground. They would also not allow you to 4 wheel drive out of a soft area and ruin the turf.We have seen C.G's lay down large sheets of plywood under the truck and camper to get you out.I also note the with the MSVRP price of 4 wheel drive on the F-350 I can pay for my road service club (79.95 per year) for 34.5 years. It is my opinion and experience that having the 4 wheel drive causes many folks to get into situations that you would normally stay out of if you did not have it.Having said that there is always the unforseen circumstance where you may drive into trouble and 4 wheel drive will save the day..for that we have the road service .. Just my opinion...Now we do have the bedsaver and the V tailgate.We figure there is way more chance that we will need those than the 4X4....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:16 AM   #28
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For those that feel 4WD is a waste of money I'll pray for you. I'll pray that the fellow 2 sites down has a 4X4 and a heavy chain to come to your rescue. It goes without saying that if that fellow 2 sites down is me there will be pictures taken and, of course, a huge smile on my face. Now, I've said my piece on 4X4 verses 2X4 and will make no further comments in his thread on that subject.

I will say that the 4WD came through one more time. I had to use 4WD just to back up to the Monty and it was that same 4WD that pulled the Monty thru the mud and out on to the hard driveway. Anyone within ear shot could here my sigh of relief.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #29
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I know all about waiting for a tow truck to arrive. My 04 F350 6.0 gave me lot's of experience with that. It is always in the rain or freezing cold. And when you phone for help, thanks to outsourcing , you will probably talk to someone in Calcutta or Bangledesh who learned to speak English yesterday. No , I will gladly pay my 34 years of road side service for my 4x4 and have a truck with re sale. A 2WD truck is almost impossible to sell in my part of the world.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think we've covered this subject end to end. Everyone has their own choice and has to live with it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #31
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
a 4x4 cost a bit more money but I think it is worth every penny you pay for it. I would not be with it.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #32
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have a 2 wd dually and carry a looooooooooong tow chain. Used it many times also.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh..Did I mention that we also carry a tow rope in our 2 wheel drive dually also carried it in our 2 wheel drive Chevy.never had to use it yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #34
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I still stick with the fact that in Colorado you couldn't give a 2WD away, there is NO resale value at all. I work with someone who moved up here from FL and had a 2WD that he had bought down there, he ended up having to drive back to FL to be able to get anything on it in a trade.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #35
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
MMMMM - two wheels good, me thinks 2 more better. 4 a churning, in these Indiana winters with snow up to you know what and living out in the burbs where snow plows come by at least twice during the summer it is nice to have a little help.
Granted it takes 40 acres to turn my rig around but that is the price I am willing to pay to not be snow bound. Shoot I could put a blade on the front of that thing and make my payments during the snow season.
Hey just having some fun here - what was the deal maker when choosing what to buy - the salesman's report on how used 4 wheel drive sells vs 2 wd.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #36
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Having spent 25 years in Alaska, I realized the necessity of 4WD long ago, and have had 4WD on all my vehicles all that time.

On slick roads up there, 4WD will get you going a lot quicker. It will also help you make it around some curves that might tend to cause other vehicles to slide. It just won’t help you stop any faster.

With the dually, I discovered, (after I bought it, thinking it’d be great for traction,) duallies have less traction than SRW pick-ups do.

But I tend to think that I’m not losing anything in turn radius, unless I’m in 4WD. This 2005 has about 6’ less of a turn radius than my 2002 had. And that fact was discussed with me without any mention of it not being the case with it being a 4WD model.

I do hate the jerking and clunking that goes on when in 4WD and turning even slightly sharp. But I don’t have to spend much time in 4WD, so that doesn’t cause much concern.

As for resale value? With all the bells and whistles we have on this TV, I’m guessing that 4WD would play a minor part in its resale value…IF we ever plan to get rid of it, that is.

All in all, the issue is based on needs and taste. No matter what one chooses, one will have to deal with the repercussions. And it seems that all the posters have resigned themselves to doing just that.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well I am glad to see a couple of you 2X4ers do carry a long chain or tow rope. It'll make matters a whole lot easier when one of us 4X4ers come to the rescue;>) ;>)
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #38
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ohhhh Glenn, you are really stirring the pot. Things could get heated up after that little remark.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #39
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Phill anyone that knows me knows I love to bust peoples butts. Proof of that would have to be Bill's (aka Bill and Ann) photo that makes himm appear a bit drunk. He wasn't but it was such a great photo I just couldn't resist.
Many years ago I owned one 2X4 truck before buying my first 4x4. Since than I've had 10 4X4s from Fords to Chevys to GMC and I happen to love 4X4's.
Having said that I feel the 2X4s are still good trucks just not for me.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #40
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
[quote]Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I agree with all the above posts and I have been driving 4x4s for the last 26 years and to me a truck is not a truck if is is not 4x4. I have seen and smelled so many people, engine screaming, cooking their auto trans, trying to back big rigs on soft ground. With low range, you can idle that puppy into any spot you want.

I agree Wrenchtraveller, I use the 4WD/low range backing up every time I bring it home (Steep & long driveway). What a difference. Worth it right there. Wet and snowey travel it nice also.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote