Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Vented Tailgate......are they worth it..??

The Father-in-law and I were discussing if using a vented tailgate will improved mileage and reduce wind drag ? I pull a '06 3400RL with a F-250 club cab. I know Montana changed the nose cap I have to improve wind follow and I seam to have no issues when pulling, so just look'n for ideas if it's a need change to make.
Thanks for the input as always the MOC is the place to ask !!
Kim

kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Kim
Do a search here on the forum. There were some interesting facts a few months ago. Bottom line is they don't make much of a difference.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Kim,
The reason many of us consider getting a 'V' shaped tailgate is to prevent the tailgate from getting trashed. It's just a matter of time. One of these days we will leave the gate in the wrong position and it will get torqued out of shape!

I believe all the studies I've read indicate they do NOT increase your fuel mileage. And they really do not effect the handling characteristics of the TV in any way.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have one on my truck for the ease of hooking and unhooking. I also have found with my truck that having the vented V shape tailgate I average 1 mpg better on the highway. I drive the same road 65 miles each way to and from work throughout the summer on the days I spend extra time at the lake. I did this with both my factory tailgate and my towing tailgate, ran both for two months going 65mph and found I got on average 1 to 1.4 mpg better with the aftermarket tailgate. Ture so many variables but that is what I had found with my truck, many folks have found they do nothing for their trucks. The best feature of the aftermarket tailgate is I do not worry about the factory tailgate getting damaged from hooking and unhooking, worth every penny at trade in time to me. Do you need it to tow a fifth wheel? NO, it is strictly a luxury item.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Kim
This is another one of those topics that are going to have 2 sides and the ones that have them swear by them and the ones that don't see no need. This is our 3rd fifth wheel and we have never forgotten to lower or raise the tailgate. Ed feels that process just gives him another chance to look everything over to make sure there are no problems. IMHO.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I have one. The TV show "Myth Busters" had this issue on one of their shows. They took identical trucks, took the tailgate off one, drove the same route and the truck WITH the tailgate went some 30 something miles further on a tank of gas. So many variables even with the way they conducted the test. They believe it has something to do with aerodynamics and air flow over the cab. I haven't put mine back on to test this but might just for the heck of it. It would be interesting to see if it made much difference when towing too.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Kim,
I had the louvered tailgate on my truck and also a rolling loc top which I close when not towing.
I noticed the tailgate let a lot of dirt and dust be sucked into the bed when on dirt roads out west.
When I returned home I removed it and replaced it with the factory one.This has been on for two years.
I know it is just a matter of time before I forget to open it but then I will put the louvered one back on.
I have not noticed any difference in milage. I find the foot is more related to milage than the tailgate.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
On another thread, I asked the question about V tailgates being for sale in the Rio Grande Valley. One interesting fact that came up in the answers is that the metal tailgates tend to rust. So whatever you buy, it seems that aluminum or plastic would be better.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I think our V tailgate is some form of fibreglass. Anyway it is much lighter than the original tailgate. For that fact alone I like it. We put the original tailgate in a box and saved it in case we ever trade this in.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Dad is the essence of conservative and careful. Yet I stood there and saw him knock the tailgate off his picup because he forgot to raise it and caught the FW as he turned out of his campsite.

Like others, I use the FW gate for convenience in hitching and unhitching and also to avoid damaging a tailgate. I don't think there's much if any savings in fuel. If there were, I doubt it would be enough to pay for the tailgate for many years.

Just my opinion but I'll stay with a V-gate for the convenience.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Kim,

Can't say they improve the mileage any, but does make it 100 times easier to hook the 5th wheel up to the truck.
With the regular tail gate everything was always blowing around in the back of the truck when towing the trailer, with the flow through tailgate nothing moves around.

John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think we will in time get the V gate for the convenience factor.Studies that I have seen indicate that they do not have a impact on better fuel milage and may in fact cause a decrease howver we have seen the fiberglass models and the huge decrease in weight may make up for any MPG difference.We all like to think that we do not make stupid mistakes but I for one have been known to do just that..like driving away with the tv antenna up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The idea of stuff not blowing around in the pickup bed is very appealing, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
I for one made that stupid mistake with the factory gate when I had my first 5'er. That is the main reason I have the V-gate. I bought the metal one made by (Handy). It is considerably heavier than The fiberglass or alum. The reason I decided to by that particular one was it appeared sturdier.

I miss that factory tailgate but there is probably a shortage of them on this forum so I'm not gonna ask if anyone has one for sale.(LOL)
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Everytime I see a V-gate, it causes me to think that it is there because the owner made a boo boo and has had to replace it. lf you ever see me with one, you will know that was the case. I don't plan to get a new one unless I must.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote