Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Where does one vent the Shower moisture?

To all the wise Montana Owners...

How do you vent the shower area when taking a shower?

We looked at a Mountaineer 328RLS, (they didn't have a 3400RL on the lot), and I just noticed that the only fan in the bathroom area is in the WC, (Water Closet). Am I missing something or is the Fantastic fan in the commode room enough?

By the way the 2006 328RLS is a very nice rig for those not wanting a full Monty, (Sorry, I just couldn't resist. )

DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Montana_3526

M.O.C. #3526
Hi
We have a MOUNTAINEER 328RLS also. Just this past weekend I was talking to my wife about the same lack of shower venting. In our 328rls my thought is that small vent fan we have in the water closet is not enough to vent the shower area correctly. There should be a small fan of some kind in or above the shower it's self.
Montana_3526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We just open up the vent between shower and water closet. We lived in ours for 9 months and never had any problems. The fantastic fan would also work if you leave the sliding door open.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello,

We have a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom also, when we shower we turn the fan on. We never have a problem with moisture.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to say that we have never noticed a problem in the three years we have traveled extensively in our Montana. In fact, we often do not think of using any fan at all.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We use the fan a lot in the cooler weather. If the a/c is running, it does not seem that important. But, in the cooler weather, when the furnace is running a lot, there is a problem with moisure. We installed a fantastic fan in the bedroom (close to the shower), and use it when we shower in the cooler weather. In fact, in cooler weather, we open the vent in the rear of the rig about 1/2 to 3/4inch and leave it open 24 hours, round the clock. After a few days, we have very little problems with moisture and the rig is more comfy.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to always run the WC fan with the WC door open when showering. Later we installed a fantastic fan in the hallway area of the bath area so now we run that when showering. On cold days that fan gets turned off just as soon as I step out of the shower, though! If you have a real fantastic fan in the water closet be sure to turn it off before flushing the toilet or it's going to suck those bad odors right up out of the tank when you open the toilet flush valve! We even had the small noisy original fan in the w.c. do that. By the way, you can replace that noisy little fan with a 12v computer case fan. Much better airflow and much quieter. It's an easy swap. We even used the original push switch.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We run the fan in the WC and leave the door open. Sometimes we run the fantastic fan too. Sometimes I forget to turn it on before showering so I just turn it on when done. So far we have never experienced no problems in any of our RV's.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the fanstastic fan over the kitchen as well as the water closet fan as well. Seems to really help keep the moisture out when showering or doing the dishes. I have found that if I leave the sliding door between the bedroom and the kitchen half open and then open the water closet door it wil provide the privacy for the shower as well as a good path for moisture to escape.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We put a Maxx Turbo Fan in the vent outside the shower. It is thermo controlled and has fwd & rev. switch.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:21 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It used to be that Keystone put Fantastic Fans in the bathroom, they swithced them to the living area a few years ago, but you can still order them in the bathroom, as we did. It is not difficult to install a Fantastic Fan (or similar), as long as you can find a source of 12volt power nearby (maybe at the WC fan?)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
ours came with a Fantastic Fans in the WC and we use it a lot when we shower we turn it on and leave the door open, when it is a little cooler we leave it on and the door being short at the bottom sucks the air out.. I have been thinking of putting two more in, one in the kitchen area and in the living room and not a second AC BUT we haven't lived in really hot weather yet so the one in the Living room will wait.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We did the same as Bill & Ann, a Turbo Maxx on both the bath vent and the bedroom vent, just didn't get the one with the thermostat, 2- way fan only. Works great.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Thanks guys. That's a big help!

Just another thing to think about during negotiations.
DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Our 05 3475RL came with the rain sensor fantastic fan in the bedroom when we first used this rig it was cold out 57 and the fan shut down cause the moisture it sensed. now that it is hot and a/c on it has not but then again i turn it on after i get out.

Ken & Barb
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OntMont, the WC fan wiring is where I spliced our fantastic fan's wiring into when I installed the fan last November.

At that point we had been fulltiming in this thing for 20 months. When doing the wiring I had the opportunity to inspect the insulation and ceiling area between the water closet fan and the vent next to the shower. I saw zero sign of moisture. And the insulation was totally dry. Up until then we had just run the wc fan (the computer case fan we used to replace the original) so I think it was doing a sufficient job for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote