Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Montana_3715
Established Member

M.O.C. #3715
Window Tinting

Was thinking of having the windows tinted on my 3255RL and wanted to hear some opinions. In the Texas sun my 15000BTU unit struggles to get the temp down to low/mid 80. The claims on some of the heat reflective tints are impressive. I made the screen that Gruffy suggested for the back window and it is a big improvement but I need more. Open to all suggestions short of leaving Texas and moving north.

Paul
Trinidad, TX

Montana_3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Big shade trees will help more than anything. They are not always available. The tinted windows in our Montana were not sufficent to change the ambient temperature more than about 25 degrees. Our solution was to have two A/C units.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We saw a dealer that was selling and installing extra tinting stuff for RVs when we were in Texas. Did not pay a lot of attention, so cannot give you numbers or data. This guy was out of Myrtle Beach and did a lot of the really big RV Rallys. He seemed to be busy the entire time. This was the stuff that is film like and is applied to the windows.

Not a lot of help, sorry. Maybe there is a web site????
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
My neighbor went the window tint route with not much luck. Then he installed window awnings which did the trick for him. So, you may want to look into window awnings too.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Paul,

Some of the things I have done are; first and foremost is I made the Sun Screens for all windows including the doors. Now that I've used them for a while I'm delighted with them. I case you missed my earlier post on them, you can see them at http://www.msnusers.com/azstar/ click on "Pictures" on the left, also do a search to possibly find my earlier post. I posted it under Sun Screens, I think.

If you make these window Sun Screens make sure they are large enough to cover the Alum window frames. The Frames are great for heat transfer, so they need to be out of the sun as well.

Other things I do is to put the vent pillows I bought from CW in place and I also cut a piece of 1" thick styrofoam to fit in the Sky Light.

We also have Slide Toppers on our slides.

Hope this helps
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
My Monty is currently in Quartzsite, AZ and have installed the aluminum covered "bubble-pack" material to the inside of the windows that get direct sunlight. Material comes in 12"($1.20 linear foot) and 24" ($2.30 LF) widths and is easily cut with scissors. Cut a little larger than to-size so you can prop inside the window frame to stay in place. Bought the material at the local hardware store. Has made a big difference. There are a couple of places in Q'site that will make the sunscreens azstar mentions and I will be checking out the prices to have a set made, at least for the larger windows. Seriously considering awnings as well. Friends like the ones they have on their fiver (UGH! an ALPENLITE!!) Noticed, like az star mentions, that aluminum frames transfer a great amount of heat, so screens and/or awnings should help considerably.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We use the bubble wrap/aluminum foil type material on the small window at the kitchen counter as the water cooler sits right there. It sure helps keep the heat out and the cooler doesn't have to run as much.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote