Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #21
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

We’re going to get the Washington, D.C. local stations while in the vicinity. And lose them once we’re away from the central east coast. I thank TreeCounter for shedding light on that “mystery.”

You’re right about “does no apply in Alaska.” The DirecTV web site says Alaskans require and eight-foot dish! (Whether true or not, I’ve seen smaller dishes popping up on homes around Fairbanks. But not the small eighteen-inch dish we’ll be using.)

I might try changing our Zip Code, when we winter in Alabama. It would be nice to catch local news. Even if the NY and LA network stations will have the shows we’ll be wanting to watch and record.

I hope that DirecTV gets us connected to UPN stations. I do like watching independents. Not to mention the “Star Trek Enterprise” series.

I brought back the small “Carry-Out” dish we got from CW. Kim made me realize that bending over to set it up, and take it away would irritate my arthritis. And I found it didn’t have any secure way to keep it from blowing over! Not even a stake-hole on the base that I could see, and no mention of securing it in the instructions. How do you secure your dish to the ground in case of windy conditions?

We bought the tripod, instead. Easier to mess with, I’m sure. And I have two runs of 50’ of satellite-grade coax. I’m ready to move it all over our various sites. And I’ll use a screw-in dog run thing with a bungee cord to hold the tripod stabile.

But, eventually, I feel there’s a roof-mount in our future.

Thanks,
Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also have the C.W tripod and there is a center hanger for a bungie cord.It is like up in the base.there are also holes around the base and I use bungies and tent stakes to secure it to the ground. I also got a tripod from radio shack.It is used to mount the dish on a home roof and it is about three feet high, no bending over. It sets up just as easy. We have UPN on one of our local stations..Helen is a "trekie"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #23
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Well, we got DirecTV, today. It’s great to scan through all the channels. I’m able to watch one show at a time. But not record anything on the Receiver/TiVo box, because there is no landline connected to it.

I thought I could record, at least manually, without a landline. But it’s not allowing me to.

I’m really upset over this.

The DirecTV website, and the DVR, (“TiVo,”) pamphlets say: “In order to enjoy the full benefits of this service, your receiver must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line.”

Emphasis on “Full Benefits.”

To me, that sounds as if there’s a few things it can’t do, (and it has a bazillion features I was ready to do without,) but it should do SOMETHING!

All it acts like is a receiver.

Dang!

We will now have the added bill, and the initial cost, (minus the half-cost rebate,) to remind us to never ever again buy something that isn’t guaranteed to function at a certain level.

We can’t simply tell DirecTV to take this stuff and, stick it. That’d incur the wrath of the mighty extra penalties.

Sheesh…
Steve
Old 05-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #24
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Do you have 2 cables running to the DVR from the dish, if you don't it will just be a single receiver? Also it needs to be programmed for the 2 cables from the dish.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #25
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve,

Is there any way you can get a land line plugged in even for a short amount of time? Say a 1/2 Hr. or so and do the Phone connection check?

It may need an initial connection for the internal chip to be satisfied. Then you'll get the error messager after a couple of Days of being unpluged that I'm hoping you can just ignore.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 AM   #26
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Well, it appears my problem is solved, as you good people had advised. Thank you!

I took the DVR to the dealer, where we got it to connect and update. That was all it took to get past the constant reminder that I had to finish the final set-up!

When I got it back to my fifth wheel, I was able to select various shows in various timeslots to record!

Man. This makes my life so much more content.

Again. Thank you all for the advice.

I may, from time to time, and when the situation allows, have it dial in to see if there are any updates.

Meanwhile, I've told DIrecTV that they really need to get with TiVo people, and see if they can't let these use a cell phone and the USB connector on the rear of the box.

Thanks,
Steve