Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
What is up with my Montana Graphics?

Hi all,

The ones I'm talking about are on the front cap. I have little splotches of missing graphic where bugs may have impacted. Almost a "chipping type" appearance. The graphic doesn't seem brittle nor does anymore come off with friction. They are only the size of a bug splatter but there are a few of them. I'm having a hard time believing this is normal but haven't had my eyes on a Montana on the road lately to confirm this. I have at least 4000 miles on the rig so far. I am starting to wonder what the next 4000 miles brings to my front cap. The rest of the graphics on the rig are without this issue although a few are trying to peel up where they are pointed.

I clean her with RV Bug & Tar Cutter made by Camco RV. It does an awesome job BTW with a soft length adjustable soft automotive brush. I back that up with a Protect All cleaner/polisher/sealer made for fiberglass, gel coat, and enamel or polyurethane painted aluminum. Also does a great job and help those bugs come off even easier after the first application.

If anyone can provide some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. She goes in late Feb/early Mar anyway for a hairline crack at the corner of the driver's side tail light and continual problems with the entertainment system.

Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:55 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
This may not be right but it works for me.

After traveling all day I always check my front cap for bugs. I keep a bug remover brush with an built in extension. The kind like you use for winshields. I fill up a bucket with plain water and use the brush to remove the bugs. I have found that if you leave these bugs on the cap without regular cleaning at the end of each road day they will act like acid on the cap. It does not take over 10 minutes so I do this as part of my setup process. It also prevents using harsh cleaners.

Several times a year I wax the front cap which also helps. In short get the bugs off ASAP. The longer you wait the harder they are to get off.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Tom: we do the same thing. When we stop for gas at Flying J's I use the long windshield bug remover and clean the cap. I then use the water hose at the pump to clean it off. Clean as you go.
I also keep a good coat of wax on the cap as it makes it easier to remove the bugs.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Is the splotches I'm talking about normal or is something I should bring up the next visit to the dealer? I have already mentioned it to the service department at the dealer and "they" said it was normal. I would have hoped that Keystone would have made more durable graphics for the front cap considering the abuse it takes from being on the road I too clean the off the bugs as soon as I get a chance. I'm pretty A-type so the thing has been cleaned at least three times top to bottom since we bought it in Mar to include one roof cleaning.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
I have a 2003 2955RL and did not have the problem until the last time I washed it before putting it away for the winter in November. I noticed that the front graphics were splotched just as you describe. I wonder if some bug extract chemically etched the vinyl? Hard to believe that a bug at 60 mph could do that. Also I wonder why I didn't experience it right away instead of a year and a half down the road. I currently have about 15-20,000 miles on the 2955. I think ultimately the graphics will have to be replaced on the nose cap.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #6
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We had the same problem on our 2000 2750RK. Bug blotches just the way you described them. Keeping a good coat of wax helps out removing the bugs.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I would suggest contacting Keystone. Not all dealers handle issues the same way and for some its just as easy to say "that's normal". I recommend phoning and not e-mail based on what I've read on the forum. I have had them respond well via e-mail, but others have not. Just my two cents worth, and you know what they say - advice is worth what you pay for it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the little blotches on ours, too. I'm not sure if it's from bugs, rocks, or what. Looks like something just took a bug-sized chunk out of the graphics. I've tried several different bug removal solutions so maybe one of those did this to the graphics. I really don't know. Ours covers about 25,000 miles but it's looked like that for a long time. You have to look fairly close to notice it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Okay, so it may be normal. I'm just concerned given it only has 4000 miles on the road. The first year warranty goes out in Mar 05 before hitting the extended warranty. I still may bring it up to the dealer for action when I take it in Feb/early Mar along with two other problems.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:30 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
sounds normal to me. ours is the same way, but not as bad (but less miles)
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote