Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Whether to use the zerks or to hand pack is a personal choice.
As to whether the void in the hub should be filled with grease, I go with the manufacturer's (Dexter) recommendation rather than a personal opinion.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
DG, it's not that I'm a EZ Lube supporter as much as I'm on open bearing supporter. The EZ Lube system works as long as certain precautions are taken and the seals are good. But so does taking the bearings out and doing it by hand. The major point is making sure the bearings have grease and both methods provide that. Sealed bearings on the other hand offer neither the opportunity to replace the grease with fresh grease or examine the bearings for wear. GM uses sealed front on all their vehicles that I know of, including the small pickups and full size trucks, and I have had to replace more than one.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Well, excuse me for the mispelling on this forum. A lot of you can't spell, and I'm sure anyone on this forum new what I meant.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

Well, excuse me for the mispelling on this forum. A lot of you can't spell, and I'm sure anyone on this forum new what I meant.
I can't spell for crap. It's why I use a spell checker. They are free and easy to use.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers

Every one has their own way and reason for that way. I hand pack mine as I don't believe the entire cavity should be filled with grease. Your front wheel bearings on your truck aren't.
The front bearings on your truck are sealed and can't be hand packed. Dexter offers those sealed bearings if you want them. As one who has replaced several of those sealed truck bearings, I'd rather have the E Z Lube.
Thank you for the information. Didn't realize our trucks used the sealed bearings. I am aware there are sealed bearings as my Sunnybrook had the sealed never-lub bearings. You need an arbor press to replace them as I had to do.
I was speaking of my younger days building drag racers. They had inner and outer cone (taper) bearings and races and figured they were still in use.
As far as a wheel bearing going bad. Never had one that I packed go bad.
Any way Thanks. I like to know what I've got.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #26
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:

Hi bigred. I spell so bad, that even spell check can not help. I have to ask the wife how to spell several times a weak...

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I've started to drag out the dictionary when I get the squiggly line underneath the word that means I have spelled the word wrong. I don't have a place to pack the wheel bearings myself and not sure what to look for in the electric brakes. Its much more expensive, but easier to go to Camping World or my dealer for that service.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

I've started to drag out the dictionary when I get the squiggly line underneath the word that means I have spelled the word wrong. I don't have a place to pack the wheel bearings myself and not sure what to look for in the electric brakes. Its much more expensive, but easier to go to Camping World or my dealer for that service.
In school, they gave me an aptitude test. I maxed out the mechanical reasoning - 99 out a possible 99, but painfully failed spelling: 15 out of a possible 99. That's why I've used spell checkers ever since the first word processor included one. Believe it or not, it's made me a better speller because I get tired of correcting the same words over and over. I'd probably score a 20 now.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #29
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #30
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
After reading this thread, I decided to grease my bearing using the zerts on the hubs. I didn't use the leveling system to lift the whole trailer - I used a floor jack and a few blocks of wood behind each wheel and jacked each wheel up off the ground by an inch or so. The jack is underneath the axle where the leaf spring attach to it. The pressure from the jack compresses the leaf spring and lifts the wheel off the ground leaving the trailer and leveling system in place. Just chock the wheel on the opposite side and you be able to spin the wheel to grease it.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
Interesting that they are only putting 5000 pound jacks on the new Montys. I had the upgrade done at Lippert in 2011 and the front jacks are rated at 16000 pounds each and the wheel jacks are rated at 8000 pounds each for a total lift of 64000 lbs. I was cautioned to make sure the truck is totally disconnected because the jacks will lift the truck off the ground. As to lifting the trailer of the ground with the jacks, several sites I have parked at were so unlevel that wheels on one side have been off the ground. I routinely use the jacks to raise the wheels off the ground the unload the axles if there is not room to pull forward and back enough to do that. I also use the jacks to lift the wheels off the ground when I rotate the tires.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote