Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Bud and Monti
Established Member

M.O.C. #2223
Insurance

Bought new Montana and need insurance-- Had the Aljo insured with State Farm -- but thniking there might be a better insurance out there for 5th wheels-- got any advice as to who is good insurance to go with--- would appreciate the input -----Thanks

Bud and Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ours is with State Farm too. Couldn't find a better deal, and our other vehicles are with them too. They have done well by us in the past, so we stayed with what we knew.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A lot depends on how you use it. Before we started fulltiming ours was a rider on our truck insurance. It was really cheap and basically covered the same things covered on the truck but only when we were towing or parked away from home. Our homeowner's covered it when parked at home. For fulltiming we needed something different so had an agent check for the best deal for us. We ended up with National Interstate for the Montana and Progressive for the truck. Progressive also handles RV insurance but NI had the better deal at that time for our situation. If fulltiming you'll also want fulltimer's insurance which is essentially liability insurance, a lot like renter's insurance. Maybe someone else knows more about this and will jump in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
National Interstate is who we use for the camper also. They seem very competetive and we have a 5 yr replacement for a total loss and after 5 yrs we get full purchase price. We also added extra contents insurance for little money.

If You are weekend campers the regular trailer insurance will cover the unit and Your homeowners ins covers the contents. Don't ask how I found this one out!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
My husbsand and I own an Insurance Agency. As everyone is saying here, you can get the rig covered from your auto insurance. The liability should be extended from your auto (no charge).

My Montana is covered under my auto policy. I am assuming the comment made about contents being covered under your homeowners may depend on where you live. I purchased contents coverage just for the Montana. I think like any claim, it all depends on how the adjuster feels when handling your claim. I've seen the same senario be covered for one guy and denied for the next. I sleep better by not missing any grey areas. You know lawyers are the ones who write the "guts" to the insurance policies. Sometimes I don't even undertand the lingo/meanings. (hope I don't offend any lawyers on here)

So....back to your original question. Shop it first with your auto carrier. If the price is outrageous then let your fingers do the walking.

Good Luck!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have just been through the same search. I checked State Farm, Progressive, GMC, and finally settled on Formost. They were all too expensive, but that is because I live in Harris County, Texas; the second or third highest rating territory in the USA. When I move 100 miles in almost any direction to establish my fulltimer's domicile, my rates will drop by $700 or $800 per year on the 5er and the TV.

Unless you live in the same rating territory with the person quoting, getting comparitive quotes from other RVers is meaningless. Get competitive prices from the different insurers and then compare the benefits and exclusions to see if you are comparing "apples to apples." Oh, you have my condolences in dealing with the insurance mess.

I sold casualty insurance for five years. I have decided that insurance is an enigma wrapped in mystery and cloaked with confusion.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Bud and Monti
Established Member

M.O.C. #2223
Thanks for all your input, guess we will stay with State Farm as we are just weekenders in that daydream of retiring someday. It served us well with the other 5er. Happy trails
Bud and Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Good coverage and best price...Travelers
Better coverage and best price..Progressive
Travelers did not offer the 5 year replacement.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We use GMAC through Good Sams and have been very pleased. They are priced right and offer great options. We had to place a claim last year on our old trailer's awning. They had it replaced in less than a week with no questions asked. We were and still are very pleased with GMAC.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

If You are weekend campers the regular trailer insurance will cover the unit and Your homeowners ins covers the contents. Don't ask how I found this one out!

John
John, did you have to pay 2 deductibles???? As I have mine covered, contents on the same policy, there is only 1 deductible if there is a claim!! Just a thought.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sue, I don't actually remember. My Parents are the ones that went through the ordeal. Both Coach (mothrhome) and contents(homeowners) were with Allstate which made things a little easier. The MH was stolen in Fla. and after a police chase (broadcast on CNN) and a shoot-out with police (driver tried to run down a police officer), the MH was a total loss. The driver had been living and stripping items from it for a while before he was caught.

One thing that is important(especially for fulltimers whose worldly possessions are in unit) should have a detailed inventory of valuable contents.

I have additional contents rider over and above the basic policy to cover the extra items since most(and I say most) policies will only cover what is listed on factory option list (tv's dvd, w/d, etc).

Have a family member store a list of items incase total unit is stolen or catches on fire etc. so You have the info if the trailer is Your main residence.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have State Farm and my insurance is less that Good Sam and a few others we received quotes from. We get a discount because we have most everything we own insured by S F Insurance I have 250 deductable and they have fixed everything that was ever claimed. BUT we do have Good Sam emergency Roadside Insurance you cant beat that anywhere.

TT2
Old 11-15-2004, 05:15 AM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Since our auto insurance which we love doesn't insure fulltimers, we ultimately went with
Foremost. Unfortunately, we have had several claims and they have been great. One agent tracks your claim and you can always contact him. The rates are reasonable and there are various payment plans. By paying ahead, basically you can get a year's free insurance. 800-237-2060
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Lucky you don't live in Massachusetts. The insurance on my TV is $1200 and insurance on the fiver is $740. And that is for a step 9 driver(which is the best rating) which gives me a $640 discount on the TV. When we are done with all that we have a 5% sales tax on both units, which you pay when you get your plates. Then after that you pay your city or town $25 a thousand excise tax on the value of both units per year. Welcome to the land of the free!!!!!!!!
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote