Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
bhoss1
Established Member

M.O.C. #9070
New Reese Elite Hitch for Ford

I just finish my fisrt pull with my new Monty and New Ford.
I have a loud bang when starting and stopping . Called Reese and they said they where not aware ou ant problems. My son in law has the same hitch head so we switched with the same result and on his truck it makes the same bang.
Just wondering if any of you have the same set up and have any issues like that.
Never had this before with the old Reese hitch.
Thanks
Don

bhoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
No loud bangs here starting and stopping. I hear some crunching if I test the trailer breaks by themselves, but thats a little more violent then a normal start and stop.

I did adjust the 4 mounting bolts that go into the bed of the truck. I screwed them in untill I couldnt close the locking handles then backed them out, I think its a half a turn, to allow the handles to lock. (per install directions)

Can you try switching out the whole hitch, not just the head?

Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
No loud bangs on mine....First tow it did make noise and found the head was not on properly.Fixed it and it's been good since.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this one of those newer hitches where the hitch head is so big that any movement causes the oversized head to clunk against the base? I recall a discussion from someone who got a free hitch from a dealer and they threw on a hitch that had a big hitch head that clunked with the head make contact with the base.

I guess it's time to get someone to drive and someone else to sit in the back seat with the rear window opened (hopefully your rear window opens) and see if you can tell where the clunking is coming from. Extra clunking would be irritating. You might even find something wrong and then it could be fixed.

Keep us posted.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
bhoss1
Established Member

M.O.C. #9070
Ren
Can you tell me how to turn the adjustments on the feet that go into the bed? I did get a wrench that came with the hitch.
I also had a freind of mine drive the truck and I got into the bed to see if I could find the noise. The only thing that I could see was when you started or stopped (even slowly) the bang (which sound like metal to metal)happened and you could see the hook move a little.?????
bhoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Here is a link describing the proceedure.

http://www.hitchpro.net/application/...ons/n30142.pdf

Look on pages 5 and 6 on the pdf doc. Your basically removing the lynch pin, making a half turn on the feet that go into the bed of the truck, ( screwing in ) to remove any play, reassemlbing lynch pin, and test install the hitch. I made a few turns untill resistance was felt closing the handles. PM me and Ill give you a call while looking at my hitch if you cant figure it out. You will have to remove your hitch head to do this.

This is the main part... dont loosen the jam nuts, just screw in the feet that lock into the bed of the truck.

6. Insert anchor tee pin through bushing from bottom of base arch and thread into appropriate handle (see Figures 8A and
8B). (With notch in nut facing up and handle pointing toward you, the locking hole is to the right for the left handle and to
the left for the right handle.) Keeping the handle in the unlocked position thread the anchor tee pin into handle nut until
there is metal to metal contact with the bushing. Back tee pin off until parallel with bushing (less than ½ rotation), then
loosen 1 more full rotation for nominal clearance adjustment (see Figures 8C, 8D, and 8E). At this point the slot in the
handle nut and the hole in the tee pin should be aligned and the lynch pin needs to be inserted and closed (see Figure 9).

Like I said, give me a call. I sent you a PM
Ren

Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Was doing a search for this problem. We are in the middle of a trip (loop) around Lake Michigan and I noticed my Reese making the banging noise when I slow down or pull forward. This is our first long trip and I can't recall hearing this in March when the hitch was first put on. It is the 16,000 manual slide. I will be checking mine in the morning but let me know what else you might come up with. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
If your trailer has the Morryde sliding hitching you could be getting the movement and noise from that. Every time I stop and start the plate moves and I get a thump until all the slack is taken out. Correct adjustment of the 4 base pins is critical to lessen the movement.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I also noticed that when I pulled with my new 2013 343RL going to Zion last month. The friend I was traveling with had a Cougar where he'd put on a MorRyde pin box. He convinced me that not only would the ride be smoother, but the chunking when starting and stopping would be alleviated. We'll I got one as well a Timbren rear suspension enforcement system, and it made all the difference in the world. The ride is now slicker than snot on a doorknob!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
kab449, you are correct, it was my Mor/ryde pinbox on my trailer making the noise. My Reese is tight and I believe adjusted correctly. How do I know if the 4 base pins are adjusted correctly?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I made my first tow yesterday after installing a new hitch. Previous hitch was a Reese 16k that I purchased new with the 2008 3400RL. That hitch moaned and groaned like a crotchity old man. Banged forward/aft when stopping/starting. I installed a new B & W Patriot 16k onto the same rails that were installed for the Reese and WOW what a difference. No banging forward/aft and no noise whatsoever.....smooth as silk and now I can tell that the Mor/ryde pin box is doing it's job. I'm a happy camper. BTW, this was not a very expensive change.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I also have the Reese Elite. Dont know that I would call it a bang, but it does make a noticeable "clunk" starting and stopping. But I do tend to start and stop as easy as I can rather than hard accelleration or hitting the brake hard (unless necessary).
On mine the cradle (that rocks side to side, not the top plate that rocks front to back) has about a 1/8" or slightly more play where it is mounted on the bar that it rotates on. I can push/pull the top part of the hitch front to back and it will slide that small amount when I do. And when I do the push/pull and it slides it does bang against the front or rear plate the bar is welded to. Unfortunately there is no adjustment to tighten up that gap. The bar is welded in place front and rear.
My previous Pullrite Super 5th had the same problem. But it was designed where you could tighten a bolt and take some of that play out of it. Can't do that with the Reese.
Try the push/pull thing and see if that is where your noise is coming from.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote