Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
Running Generators in Bed of Truck?

I usually keep my twin Honda 2000 generators in the bed of the truck, in front of the hitch. We were thinking of experimenting with the Wal-Mart overnight thing this summer, but would probably want to run the AC during the night. Is there any problem with running the generators in the bed of the truck while still hitched? I was concerned about exhaust fumes getting into the Monty, and or adequate ventilation around the generators? Not sure if these are valid concerns or not. Any experience or advise appreciated.

Scott

scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Don't worry about the fumes, as I mentioned earlier, when you get a generator installed in your Monte, it's in the front compartment right below the bedroom.

I'd be more concerned that those Honda's get legs and walk away....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Rainer. These are a high theft item.
At least install something to slow the slime down.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

Don't worry about the fumes, as I mentioned earlier, when you get a generator installed in your Monte, it's in the front compartment right below the bedroom.

I'd be more concerned that those Honda's get legs and walk away....
Propane generators are typically what is installed in the front compartments (with exhaust systems to take the exhaust fumes from beneath the rig) most likely since they are more efficient, therefore produce less CO than gasoline powered generators. Personally, I don't see a problem with running gasoline generators in the bed of the truck provided that they are not directly beneath the cap and the exhaust is pointed away from the rig and preferably downwind. Anything that produces CO is a danger and for evidence all you have to do is read the reports of CO poisoning from generators on boats, etc. where the CO detectors have been disabled. You should always worry about the fumes and make sure your CO detector is functional (if your battery runs dead, CO detector is dead!!). I believe they are primarily located in the bedroom area anyway, so any excess CO would activate your alarm. Diesel generators produce less CO than any other fuel type but tend to be a lot heavier. Used with caution, you should have no problems.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm probably overly cautious, but as a former LEO who have seen folks die from CO2 I guess I'll still move them out of the bed of the truck and to the back of the trailer where I also have a secure point for them. My other worry is that since I have two Honda's that's two engines running not just one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Even though you already have a CO2 detector in the trailer, if running the generators in the bed of the truck I would also install a 2nd one in the bed room if it is not already in there.

Personally, I have a Honda EU3000is installed under the truck cab behind the fairing. While there is plenty of airflow around the generator the exhaust is dumped under the truck and nobody is ever in the truck when the generator is running. It is 20' from where the generator is located to the nose of the trailer (when truck is connected to trailer). So exhaust is not as much of a concern for us we do have a working CO2 detector in the bedroom.

As for security, these things will get legs and walk away if not secured. I have seen some really neat setups for the EU2000i that other members have built to secure their generators. Personally I have bolted mine to the truck. It is hidden behind the truck fairing, and it still has a lock and cable attaching it to the truck frame. Somebody could still steal it but it would take some work.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
Thanks for the advice all. I do keep a cable and lock on them, but you’ve got me thinking that maybe I’ll get a heavier duty lock.

I do have a CO detector, but it’s downstairs in the kitchen. I think a second one in the bedroom is terrific advice, thanks.

Scott
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Scott you can also buy steel handle guards that attach to the handle on the Honda 2000's and when you run the cable/chain through them it is nearly impossible to carry off the gennys. I put the handle guards on mine and feel very safe leaving them in the back of my TV. If they want them they will have to do a lot of sawing or have one big set of bolt cutters. While at Q this year I had the Hondas cabled to the front legs of the Monte and felt secure there also..
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sometimes they cut the handles, so I did a littel theft-proof..

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/GeneratorSecurity?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/TheftControlHondas?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I keep my Honda on the rear of the unit on the carrier.
I don't think you would have an issue with the gen's in the bed of the truck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Folks, it is CO, not CO2, totally different. Carbon monoxide= CO, Carbon dioxide=CO2.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote