Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
$190 for something that doesn't tell you anything if you're going more than 25 mph or so is simply not something I'd be interested in. Besides, you have to push a button for it to read at all. It's all up to whoever really wants one. If you bought it, I wish you all the luck in the world.

RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Hooked it up yesterday for the inaugural trip to Zion NP today. It worked sweet!

Yes, one can't drive too over 25 mph and have it work, but even at that speed one drives the length of a RV in one second, which is too fast to find out if the overhang/roof/tree limb or whatever was too low.

So, I've got it mounted on the hood of my truck, and if I'm in doubt about a height, I just have to put the nose of the truck under the point in question and I immediately know whether I'm safe of not. Works for me.

It's like the bed saver I've also got, it's an insurance policy. I'd rather not have to guess if I fit under the place in question, now I'll know for sure. Beats scraping off two air conditioners, an antenna, and an HD automatic satellite dish.

I'm a happy camper - to coin a phrase.

YMMV....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the trucker's atlas but I also check my route on this link.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html

As for that thing on your truck, I could see that being of value when pulling under filling station canopies, etc. I've been known to pull the truck up to the pump and then climb the ladder to see if I'm sure we can pull straight out. If not, I back out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I see you already have it, I met a guy at the HDT rally 2 years ago who had one. He liked it. Said it was most useful for creeping up to something that was hanging low to determine if he could pass with out hitting it. He liked the fact he did not have to get out of the truck to verify.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote