Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
water pressure

Am sittting in the public library in Berrien Springs Mi. We are are the fairgrounds for our FCRV Campvention. With my regulater hooked up to the water hose I don't have hardly any pressure. The water pressure at the faucet doesn't seem that good. Do you think I could just not use it. Or has it gone bad. Will check in again about Fri.

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Montana plumbing is rated at 200psi cold... we never bother with a regulator.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Montana plumbing is rated at 200psi cold... we never bother with a regulator.

Hallelujah!! I can throw that stupid regulator away
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use an adjustable regulator from camping world because I had so much of this kind of trouble with the standard regulators. Before the adjustable, when a regulator went bad I went without a regulator until I could buy another one. Just adjust the water pressure at the CG's spigot so that it's not excessive. We've been in parks who say their pressure is in excess of 100 psi. I found that more than 57-60 psi causes the toilet to shoot flush water onto the neighboring wall. In your shoes, yes, I'd go without the regulator until I could get another but I'd adjust the pressure manually to a reasonable level. Only problem with doing it this way is when park usage is heavy you may find you have to turn it up to get decent pressure, depending on the park. Gruffy may be right but it makes me nervous to have the pressure too high and I don't like water shooting out of the toilet. On our adjustable I set it at 57psi. That works very well for us and has not caused any problems in well over a year of fulltime use. Be advised all the books say limit pressure to 40-50psi.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Never heard of a bidet????
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
ROFLMAO, Gruffy! I can't imagine a bidet being a desirable thing but apparently it was or is to some.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Thanks for the info. We are now back home. I never did get to check the forum after I posted. I was the chairman of digital photography and didn't have time to get back to the library. We were selling a c/d with pictures on it. I have to sort probably aroung 2000-3000 pictures. We had a great time. Can't wait to see some of you in Sept. Thanks again.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
ronstan,
I have a problem with my regulator at one camp ground. I found it was causing their "anti back pressure" value to partially block the flow of water. If I hooked the hose up at the faucet it worked fine, but putting the regulator there is interfered with the back flow. I now put the regulator at the trailer and have only blown a water hose once, cheap hose.
Good luck and enjoy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
To regulate or not to regulate! I will have to ponder this question! Happy rving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
ronstan,

One of the reason for using a pressure regulator is to help prevent the hose from breaking. If the regulator is placed at the Rv instead of the faucet end, how do you keep the hose from breaking under the pressure?

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:41 AM   #11
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
When we wintered in Mexico the parks had no pressure. They use a 10 meter tower for pressure. We installed a demand pump in the hose and pumped the water into our rig. Still use it for short trips down there. In the states we also use the adjustable regulater. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Occasionally, I will run into a park with low water pressure and I do not use a regulator. But, having had a plastic feeder line under a sink blowout at home, I know I don't want this to happen in a camper. The PEX fittings they use seem to me like they could blow a part pretty easily under high pressure. I think it is prudent to keep the pressure under 60 PSI. So, the rule for me is to use a regulator unless the pressure is extremely low.

I have been to a couple of campgrounds where the water pressure was so low that we filled our fresh water tank and used the pump for showers.

Happy trails!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I also had a line blow off under my cabinets. I was using a pess. reg. Turned out to be poorly designed hose clamps on lines to the water pump area. Sure was glad I was there to shut it down. I'm also glad I had the reg. at 40 psi. instead of 100 or more. It took me a moment to gather my thoughts (5am sleeping) and get outside to turn it off. Would have passed a lot more water at 100psi. in just those short couple of min.

I have had low flow conditions with good pressure before. That turned out to be a sticking check valve. Right where your hose connects to our rigs, under the screen we have a check valve. I had to remove the screen and play with the valve to loosen it up. After doing this the flow was greatly improved. I guess they get a little corrosion on them. Thinking of somthing to lube it with. You would notice this condition if when you turn the cold fauset on and get immedeate good pressure then it drops.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:05 AM   #14
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I bought a gauge at Home Depot, it has a needle that shows the highest pressure spike. If I am staying at a park for a while I monitor the spikes and if they top at around 60 psi, I remove the regulator. I have been planning on getting an adjustable regulator, just haven't gotten to CW yet.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 AM   #15
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
[quote]Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

I bought a gauge at Home Depot, it has a needle that shows the highest pressure spike. If I am staying at a park for a while I monitor the spikes and if they top at around 60 psi, I remove the regulator. I have been planning on getting an adjustable regulator, just haven't gotten to CW yet.

John
[/quo

John, adjustable water valves (Watts), are available from Home Depot also.I think mine was about $35. which included some fittings.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use the adjustable regulator and set it to max at 57psi. Any more than that and the water closet blows water onto the wall during a flush (clean flush water though). We've had no problems other than the higher pressure tends to cause us to use up the hot water more quickly since we adjust the shower pressure towards the high end.

My regulator has been acting up so I took it apart and cleaned it. Now I need to find a park with sufficiently high pressure to allow me to readjust it to 57psi.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #17
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve, Excellent point on using up the Hot water quicker with higher press. Something I never considered. Good post. Thanks
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I use the adjustable regulator and set it to max at 57psi. Any more than that and the water closet blows water onto the wall during a flush (clean flush water though). We've had no problems other than the higher pressure tends to cause us to use up the hot water more quickly since we adjust the shower pressure towards the high end.

My regulator has been acting up so I took it apart and cleaned it. Now I need to find a park with sufficiently high pressure to allow me to readjust it to 57psi.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote