Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Treatment of tires

Curious as to what the pros/cons are in respect to treating tires to reduce the potential for rubber cracking and breaking down
Andy

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The only thing I treat mine with is soap and water. I may be wrong but I believe some of those chemical treatments actually make the cracking worse. Even if they don't, I like my tires to look clean, not shiney or oily looking. JMHO.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like Lonnie, "SOAP AND WATER" PERIOD.
Rubber has to breath and 90% of these so called "treatments" prevent that natural action. While they stop the UV rays they can cause other problems down the line.
I once had my Monty professionally detailed at a cost of 55 bucks. Not a bad price when you think about it. BUT, when I walked away for about 20 minutes and returned the tires were bright and shiny. I told the man that I was not aware that they were going to treat the tires and that I wanted it off. I explained why and he did get it off. Whether or not he's till doing it I have no idea.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think the best treatment is soap and water and exercise. The flexing of the tire during travel keeps the natural lubricants in the rubber distributed throughout. Or so I have read.
We got some long time tire guys on here who can confirm that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
To each his own, but IMHO, if the tires are subject to being in the sun day after day after day...eventually harm will come. I use a treatment to protect them, and although our in house experts disagree with that, Michelin says to use it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have no idea and will defer to the tire experts. We do not use anything on out tires only because it would involve work to do it. We changed out our OEM Missions at @ 10K although they looked fine. The present Coopers look to be wearing well but we are always checking for cracks. We will probably replace these at @30K miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I think the best treatment is soap and water and exercise. The flexing of the tire during travel keeps the natural lubricants in the rubber distributed throughout. Or so I have read.
We got some long time tire guys on here who can confirm that.
You are so correct. It's the natural lubricants in rubber that protect the tires and any so called treatment only inhibits these natural lubricants from doing their job.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

To each his own, but IMHO, if the tires are subject to being in the sun day after day after day...eventually harm will come. I use a treatment to protect them, and although our in house experts disagree with that, Michelin says to use it.
Tom, in all my years in the tire business I never read any where where any tire manufacturer recommended any kind of tire treatments. I try to keep up on tires so could you please provide me with your source. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:

Tom, in all my years in the tire business I never read any where where any tire manufacturer recommended any kind of tire treatments. I try to keep up on tires so could you please provide me with your source. Thanks.
It's on their web site: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...care-products/
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:By TLightning

It's on their web site: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-care-products/
Quote:
quote:From Michelin link.

For years, we’ve advised people against using many commercial tire care products. That’s because they can actually damage tires. Now there’s a line of wheel and tire care products we confidently recommend: the 3-Step Michelin Wheel & Tire Care Program.
The key word here is Michelin. Don't get me wrong, I am a Michelin "Key Associate Dealer" and I believe Michelin builds the best tire on the market, bar none. BUT Michelin North America will do whatever they can to make a buck, including allowing two Michelin dealers within 5 blocks of each other in a town of less than 4000 people. I believe they saw a market niche that they weren't capitolizing on, came up with a product to compete with all the other products in that market, slapped their name on it and started recommending it on their web site.

In fairness to Michelin, their product may actually do what they claim, I can't say as I have never used it.

I will continue with soap and water.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Lonnie. I couldn't agree more. I also dealt with Michelin and I do have Michelin's on my TV and I also know their profit making tactics. Yes they do have the best tire on the market BUT they are in business to make a buck.

It is no different than Dicor. While they totally recommend using Dawn for cleaning our rubber roofs they also sell a product with their label for cleaning rubber roofs. They also have a treatment for rubber roofs but at the seminar they said a roof treatment wasn't necessary. When asked why, their statement was "Well if people insist on buying these so called RV rubber roof cleaners and treatments than why not?"

One other note, when I was in the tire business and I am sure Lonnie will agree we were interested in making a buck BUT not by selling any products we did not believe in ourselves. We never did sell any tire cleaners, treatments, etcPERIOD
Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I use a treatment on my tires - it is called elbow grease. Get some soap - water and elbow grease and there you have it. TIRE TREATMENT.

Sorry, I do not bottle and sell it on the open market - strictly a private label.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Well. This has been a great debate on the pros/cons. I would like to thank everyone for there input. I guess I will have to have a few sips of beer and decide for myself what to do. If I decide not to and also not to seal my roof I will have more time to hit the golf course.
Andy
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
While I am not a golfer I do enjoy my free time even if it's just posting to the MOC or just sitting under my awning, rain or shine, enjoying the day. Putting the awning up and down like a Yo Yo is not what I want to be doing.
Earlier I used Dicor as an example and Andy just mentioned about "not to seal my roof". As Dicor saw fit to place a 12 year warranty on my roof and, again at the Didor seminar, they flat out stated they don't care if we ever clean the roof it is still warranted. The only reason they suggest you get up on the roof is to inspect it for damage and to check the caulking for cracking. As I never ever washed or treated my roofs on my stick house I see no reason to scrub my Monty roof. Now I do know many of you are saying/thinking that a dirty roof only promotes black streaking. I disagree. Yes I do get black streaks but no more than back when I did bust my butt scrubbing the roof.
Call me lazy, a fool or whatever but I didn't buy this Monty to become a slave to it. I bought this Monty so I could enjoy ALL the FREE time our lifestyle provides us.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I have a question that may sound wierd--When we parked our Mountaineer on the boards when the tire were wet and when we moved it later I noticed some blue tire tread marks on the boards --what is that blue "dye"

this is Jan that wants to know
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Jan, you got me on that one. I they were originally whitewalls I would lean towards not getting all the protective coating they put on to protect the whitewalls when new.
The only thing I can imagine is some kind of reaction between the chemicals picked up on the road and the boards.
I will be very interested if someone, maybe Lonnie, can come up with a logical explanation.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I've seen marks left on boards by tires before but never noticed them to be blue. I would GUESS it has something to do with whatever chemical the boards are treated with. Some kind of reaction between the chemicals in the board and the chemicals in the rubber maybe.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #17
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Well, now I don't feel so dumb. I think the boards may have been treated for decking, so that may be the answer.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote