Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Awning Use

I am looking for some input. I have read and been told to never leave your awing out if you are not going to be there and to not leave it out overnight. Main reason, unsuspected wind. As I look around the park where I am homebased and at the Lake Siskiyou rally, I find that people are doing this all the time, leaveing them out, whether they are there or not. They also seem to leave them out overnight. What is the "proper" procedure to follow?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Kind of personal preference Mike. Kind of depends where you are and what the Wx looks like. Good ole Common Sense.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If mine is tied down I leave it up. If it is not tied down I put it away in the evening. I really hate going out and putting the awning up at 2am in the middle of a mini hurricane.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mike, I don't think there is anything such as "proper" procedure. It all comes down to personal preference.
When we are traveling in the summer I will not put the awning down for a one night stay. If we are staying for a week or more I will normally put the awning down and secure it. I use ratchet straps and bungee cords to tie it down and multiple De-flappers on each end.
During our winter stay in Florida I put the awning down in October and it stays down until May. It is secured as stated above with a couple extra De-flappers. I also use a sun screen and that is also secured with 4 bungee cords.
I do keep an eye on the NWS forecast daily. I am more interested in Wind Speeds and Direction. If the wind is to exceed 40 MPH and the direction is from and unprotected side the awning will go up. I am never concerned with rain.
In FL, the nose of my rig points due north. If the wind is from the west the awning is protected by the rig itself. If it is from the east my neighbors MH is protecting the rig and the south wind is blocked by bushes and trees The north wind is really my only concern. I have used this proceedure for years and in some pretty strong gusting wind and, other than the noise, have never had a problem. BTW, most of that noise comes from the slide toppers and not the awning.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We had a rather expensive lessson once when we left ours down in a wind on a TT and a gust blew it up over the top, bending the railings. We had to get it down, roll it up and transport it inside the trailer. We have not had it down at all this trip since prior to St Louis because of the winds we have faced for the last over a month or so, remembering the earlier lesson.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I agree with Glenn on the manual awnings. Watch the weather forcast for high winds and make sure they are secured, that's how we've been doing it for a long time.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mike, I do as Lonnie and Steve do. I usually look around the park and see if folks are leaving them out, then I decide whether to put mine out or not. If only somewhere for a few nights, and if you have followed any of my posts, we do not do that often, I don't bother with it. A lot goes into my decision whether to leave it out or not. First; I always check the local weather forecast, although not ever 100% correct, I use it as a gauge, Second; what are other folks doing?, Third; How good is your extended warranty. I would really like to hear from folks how these companies deal with a "Lost Awning". I would imagine if the weather forecast was calling for high winds or gusts one might have a problem getting it replaced. Fourth; How lucky do you feel?????

I enjoy having the awning out as it feels like I have more room, we are somewhat protected, sitting outside while it is raining is very enjoyable to me (under the awning, of course). And it just makes things more homey.

I have often said, IF I lose the awning to weather or some other catastrophe, I would replace it with a non-wind sensing electric one, although, I'm not sure I would do that. Being able to push a button and roll it up would be nice, and, I suppose you could still tie it down although not sure if you could use any deflappers with it. I am on the fence on this point.....

BTW: Having the awning out gives a nice dry spot (usually), to dry off the dog after a walk!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If we go on an outing or leave it up overnight I have it secured. I also see which way the wind is moving in the morning and evening and how that hits my awning, if I feel comfortable with that I leave it up.
But that will never mean you won't have to put it up in the middle of the night either, which G & I have had to do on several occaisions in the rain, and in our Jamies and flip flops. I also think that watching the weather report for the area is very inportant as others have recomended.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We always put it in if we are leaving for very long and if the wind picks up we will close it at night. Depends on the weather forecast.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I am looking for some input. I have read and been told to never leave your awing out if you are not going to be there and to not leave it out overnight. Main reason, unsuspected wind. As I look around the park where I am homebased and at the Lake Siskiyou rally, I find that people are doing this all the time, leaveing them out, whether they are there or not. They also seem to leave them out overnight. What is the "proper" procedure to follow?
We never leave ours out at night or when we're going away for even a short period of time. We've seen freak winds show up in a moment and rip awnings apart, bend the braces and brackets. If you leave the awning out when you're not there is a risk that you'll be taking.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When we had the manual awning I never left it out unattended or overnight. As previously stated, you just don't know when that wind is going to pick up. Tied down may be alright for some, but I just figured it was an accident looking for a place to happen. If the wind is strong enough it can tear the awning.

I now have the A&E Electric with wind sensors. The sensors are adjustable in 4 or 5 or segments, like 4, 8, 12, 18 and 21 mph (I think 4 is the lowest but it might be 8) I have two awnings, one over the door step, and the long patio one. Both are the same brand. I have forgotten to put them up when we have gone away, and when I returned one or the other would be in the up position. I guess it depends on the directions of the wind, but the sensor works. I have it set at 21 mph, and today the big one was up when I returned. (I'm forgetting more often) You will find more discussions on this forum on wind sensors, electric vs. manual, etc. My personal preferences is electric with sensors.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Common sense and a eye on the weather report. Our awning might be down for weeks at a time in Florida as we watch the weather report every day. When storms or high winds are predicted we roll it up. If in doubt, roll it up.I can't imagine rolling it up every night for no good reason.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
At our seasonal park I always watch the weather forecast and go from there. Since we have the electric awning now we retract before we go home. Last fall we had 70 mile an hour winds in a freak storm and about 20 trailers lost their awnings, even the ones that were tied down well. Some of the awnings just tore out of the frames. I`d rather put it up than deal with a replacement.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
During camping season I usually leave it open while we are camping at a park even if we leave. If the weather looks threatening or is more windy than normal I will not open it or I will close it .
Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #15
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We have electric awning but no sensors. Often wondered if they really worked. Thanks for the info Waynem. On another point, we have the fantastic fans. WOndered if when it rained they would REALLY close. I set off smoke detectors while grilling outside and smoke came inside. We turned on both fans, little later turned off one, forgot the one in bathroom. Rains came - IT CLOSED! Question answered!

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #16
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We leave ours out most of the summer. it is hooked down but others in the park put theres in. I have watched the weather and the way our RV sits the wind is blocked by others and we get only a little part of a big wind, so it is where you are and how the weather will effect you.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, all I can tell you is my personal experience. A few years ago we spent a month near Staunton, VA. We had calm days every day with awning deployed 24x7, except the one day we were gone from early morning until well after dark. That night we came home, in the rain, to find our awning rolled up and a note in a baggie taped to our door. We were exposed to the north and on a hill. The note said a storm hit with gusts to 60 mph and our awning ended up on the roof. Our neighbors brought it down and rolled it up. We were fortunate it just broke a couple of mounts and bent two of the four arms. I was able to fix it myself for just over $61.

We don't use the awning very often but if we will leave it overnight or longer then I stake it down with one of the kits intended for that purpose. I also use 5 deflappers on each side to help save the material. A couple of years ago we spent two winter months in the Rio Grande Valley where the wind was pretty constant and often strong. That awning made some noise but it was not damaged. It was staked down.

So, to answer your question, I'll leave ours deployed but only if I have the 10 deflappers in place and the awning staked down securely.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote