Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Winterizing

We are new at this winterizing ordeal. We live where there is lots of the white stuff. What do we need to do to the interior of the Monty? We've just embalmed the patient with RV antifreeze, have taken out all foods and liquids. Freezer and fridge doors have been left propped open, doors to boom boom room, shower, front bedroom closets and door closet have been left open to facilitate air circulation. What have we missed? Should we take out all bedding, blankets and towels that are stored? We have a Max Air vent, do we leave it open a bit? A lot? What about rodents? I've heard bay leaves and dryer sheets. Anything better?

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Even tho we have had the "mice" thingy, I do not take out bedding, towels, even leave in a lot of the clothes, as they are summer t-shirts, etc.

I don't leave doors open either. But, leaving that front closet open is not a bad idea, specially if you have clothes in there. That said, I don't remember doing so before.

I don't leave the frig open either, I clean it out REALLLLLLLY good, dry, dry, dry, then I stuff crumbled newspapers in the frezer, and the frig, loose, but, 2 or 3 sheets per shelf and bout the same in the freezer. Shut the doors. This works in the house, in all coolers, everywhere, but, you must have the unit clean and DRY!!!! Done correctly, there will be no smell, no mold, no dampness, and, yes, it really works!

If you leave the frig door open, be sure to put a rubber band or something around the little light, specially if you are not hooked to shore power. No shore power, but, leave that light on, you will have a DOA battery before many days go by.

I have been using the dryer sheets, in all drawers and closet, and such, even if it does not discourage those micey thingys, they do leave a pleasant odor in the drawers.

I do not leave the Max Air open either.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Is your RV outside or in covered storage...that makes a difference? If you have a washer/dryer, don't forget to run pink stuff through it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The Monty will be stored outside....on a piece of farm property out in the country. (40 min. drive from us) We did remember to run the antifreeze thru the w/d hookup.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
All sounds like you did well, ditto on the fridge door open comment regarding that little light. I installed a small switch to "open" that curcuit so whenever my Monty is at home waiting for me to go out again the fridge door can be open with batteries in place and connected to shore power.
I leave all vents and windows closed...we get some white stuff here too.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Toiletries - toothpaste, deodorant, liquid soap, etc. That stuff will go bad when it freezes, and sometimes will burst. It can also be a problem in extreme heat.

We try to limit what we take out to the bare minimum, because it is such a chore to get it all restocked. We leave linens, dry foods, even a lot of clothes (we try to dupicate everything between stick house and the wheeled coach).

However, once you get rodents, all bets are off. The whole RV gets stripped then, cleaned, and reassembled.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just did my winterizing yesterday and I also will be going back this week and put mothballs all over the ground under the unit! I've had mine stored at a cabin in the middle of an open hay field for the past two years and the mothballs do work for me! As stated, I take all our foodstuffs out of the unit and replace them with some dryer sheets scattered throughout the unit in, under and around as much as I can. I also put the "sticky traps" in the basement of the unit but have never caught anything or had any problems there. We do leave our bedding, towels and some clothing in the unit and have never had any problem with those "pesky little meeses!" Some plug in electronic units inside but since mine is not plugged in unless I go down and open it up to check things out, I can't use the electronic units. I remove the battery and take it to the stick and keep it inside out of the cold and even put a trickle charger on it at times to keep it up! I also remove all batteries from anything that uses them-- like flashlights, the clock, radios and etc. I replace them with fresh ones when we restock it again. We don't leave any windows or vents open sinc we also get the white stuff and it normally is blowing when we get it and don't want to open the unit up and find a 4 ft. drift of snow in the living room! As some will tell you the easiest way is just to head south till you don't have any cold weather and set up camp there till it warms back up in your home area! We want to do this but with a new grandson that is about three months old and living in Omaha, we are sticking around to see the little guy grow up some before we head out for the snowbird deal! If you do a search on winterizing on the search engine above, you will find other tips also. Sounds like you have everything pretty well covered however! Good luck and enjoy the winter season!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers - I forgot about the batteries Rhondo - You're right, its a good way to guarantee fresh batteries every year in the electronics if you toss them in the fall and replace them in the spring. Plus, it keeps your rig from beeping all winter (storage lot begins to sound kind of funny about February with about 30 of the 100 units beeping randomly out of the smoke detectors ).

My 6volt golf cart batteries are too heavy to be totin around, so I just disconnect them and leave them in place for the winter.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
If you have generator (installed or separate) - remember that you will need to run it at least once a month with a load on it. Worst thing for a generator is to just sit around unused. Fuel -- stabil; what about your tow vehicle -- if it is your daily driver you won't have to worry about the fuel but if you don't drive it much during the winter you need to be sure to get it prepped as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

If you have generator (installed or separate) - remember that you will need to run it at least once a month with a load on it. Worst thing for a generator is to just sit around unused. Fuel -- stabil; what about your tow vehicle -- if it is your daily driver you won't have to worry about the fuel but if you don't drive it much during the winter you need to be sure to get it prepped as well.
I'm just not so sure how applicable this is. It may apply to large diesel powered generators and pumps, but I don't think 6-months of idle time will cause early failure of my LP generator any more than my boat, my lawnmower, or even my chainsaw. I just don't think the impact is that bad but I could be wrong.

Besides - at 6,000 ft above sea level and 0 degrees, most of these won't start anyway, especially the LP gen
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Brad-- Stabil works well in everything but the LP generator! Kind of hard putting it in the bottles!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote