Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Flats and associated problems

I am now jumping on the remote tire pressure band wagon.
My flat was found out at low speeds, it went flat with very little road speed on it.
The tire remained in good condition, I checked the air pressure 100 miles before that, I also shot the tire with an infra red thermometer, (all the tires) when we got fuel.
If the tire would have gone with normal road conditions, it would have flown apart, as many have, and ruined....stuff.
No more trips without the system, also, OFF with the Missions!
They looked good, pressures were right, not overloaded, speeds at 60 all the way up from Padre. I took the temperatures at every stop, and had my accu-pressure valve stem caps, all good.
So, that is my 2 cents worth.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Good input...as always. Tire monitoring is on my wish list but being a worry wart, having another monitoring device albeit a good thing makes me wonder about my "data processing" limit. I need a recreational vice that is pure...with no down side...are there any??? Sorry, not meant to burden you or MOC with my weak moment.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
noneck, the first time my sensors went off it took me a few moments to realize what was happening, then it came to me, "HOLY CRAP, I'M GETTING A FLAT"!! The second time I was ready for it. The first time was a moderate leak and when the sensors went to 58psi (from 80) I pulled over and changed it. The second time was a blowout and it went to 0 right now, was able to get on the brakes and get it stopped quickly. Both of these were in the South bound lane of the Alaska Highway. I highly recommend the pressure pro unit......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey Ozz,

Welcome to Monitarians (new name for those who have monitoring systems). It is amazing how incidents move us forward into a new frame of mind. You may decide you don't want them, but look at the Goodyear G614 tire. I would recommend a hands-on inspection of it and compare it to the competition. You won't like the price, but you may like the tire.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know, noneck all the 'must haves' makes me crazy too, but my three experiences with flats had varied results, this last one worked out great, but I shudder to think of all the ways it could have ended up badly.
Phil, I will look at all the brands, and listen to all of you folks that have different units.
Thanks, Stiles. The tire issue is mind numing. I will look at your suggestion, and at Lonnie's choice as well.
I have to check my rims, when I deliver the doughnut load this morning, I will check the back of the spare rim to see what the rating is, that will lead me down the right road.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey all you guys with monitoring systems, I assume you set your monitors for 80psi; but, what temperature do you monitor for? I too am looking at one of these systems.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was a bit shocked to note that you did not have a tire monitoring system on your truck/camper or that you had not designed a better one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
ehmcfarl,

Actually I don't have them set at 80 psi, I have my front on the
TV set at 75 psi and the rear dually tires set at 65 psi, both per manufactures recommendations. Since I use G-rated tires on the trailer, they are set at 105 psi. My system doesn't monitor tire temperatures. For that I use an inexpensive Radio Shack infrared thermometer and check at every rest stop. What I check for is whether one tire is significantly different than the others.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used the Pressure Pro system since 2006. And just ordered a new system and installed it this past month. I run a Chevy and run the fronts at 66 psi and the rear 60 psi. The 5th wheel has the Goodyear G614's and I run them at a 110 psi just like the side wall says. I haven't set the temp monitoring system up and probably want. The G614's have always run cool, I had them on our last 5er also. I highly recoment the PP system, it saved us on two different occasions. I highly recomend Mike and Pat Mcfall to buy the Pressure Pro system from, they are Professional and HONEST. You can e-mail them with your questions, and they will answer your questions. GBY...

Mike and Pat's web site.

www.pressureprosystem.com
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote