Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
In the early 1980's my office had a dually Dodge we used to tow boats. On sunny days (lots of them in Southern Calif) or cold days when the heater was used, fumes from material or glue used in the dash would cause eyes to tear, coughing, and headaches. At first, we thought the guy the truck was assigned to was BS'ing us just to get another vehicle assigned to him. When he threatened to go to OSHA, I reassigned the vehicle. Every agent I subsequently assigned to had the same complaints. I eventually ended up driving it. That lasted 2 weeks. Transferred it back down to LA. Same thing happened. No one would drive it and because it was new and had low mileage, we couldn't get rid of it. The truck ended up rusting away in the parking lot.

I smell those same fumes in my Monty whenever I open the sink covers.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
or did the RV industry deliberately use toxic materials in the trailers they provided to those
unfortunate folks??" I should have put a winkey face after that.I was not serious.. My point, That many are missing is, There is no regulation controlling the use of Formaldehyde in the construction of Rv's...There are restrictions in the use of Formaldehyde in other areas..look it up.. and It is still all over the news today,but not a mention of the multitudes of Rv's out here that in all probability have the same problems. My question is why has that not been mentioned. We always attributed our runny nose, red eyes and headaches to sinus problems or allergies....maybe not......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #23
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Most of the FEMA trailers we saw had few if any windows. I wonder if the additional "wall" space and the reduced circulation of air has any thing to do with the "toxic" enivironment of those trailers. Now the feds will not only have to remove/replace those trailers but pay mega bucks in anticipated law suits.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Today as since plywood was glued together we have formaldhyde in every house , trailer or anything we use today ,, its all in the airing it out . those people won't open a window and they have better today and rent free so if the gov gives you something free the 1st thing is you want it better , why not its free , if they air out those units for 1 week it will be gone but then so will everything else in the unit as the guy next door will steal all your stuff ,,,,john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A little education http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/chemicals_formaldehyde.htm
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #26
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thanks Rich...I found the site interesting. I did chuckle when I read formaldehyde is used in permanent press clothing. Do you think that has anything to do with calling a dead body a stiff?

When I was in Vietnam, sometimes on patrol we would drink the local beer (33). Eventually the Regimental Commander banned the practice citing high levels of formaldehyde in the beer. Someone familiar with brewing told me years later that formaldehyde is a component in many beers and other alcoholic beverages. Maybe that is how the term pickled became associated with over indulgence of adult beverages.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I went to a RV show in Austin Texas the first part of September 2005. All of the low end trailers had a sold sign on them. I asked the dealer what was the deal why all of the lower class trailers were sold? He responded that they were going to New Orleans to house people. So the government did buy lower cost trailers. Can't respond about the higher products.

My husband worked hurricane Katrina, as an insurance adjuster, for 4 1/2 months, and I must say it was the worst storm he has every worked. I fault tons of things on the state rather than the federal government. It was FEMA that was there to give free tetnaus to everyone in the area. Hubby tried to get a $15 shot at doctors office and was told he would have to pay a $250 new patient fee and $50 for the shot.

We are still waiting for about $15K from insurance companies for work done in 2005. He won't be working in that state again because of corruption.

Sorry, I am off topic. We went to the Austin RV show today and I talked to a Keystone employee about the formaldeyde issue. He stated that yes it was used in the production in the RV, but you will find it in any normal house. He said with normal airing of the RV you should see a decrease of the smell. I have been a new Montana on a lot when the smell was stronger than other new ones. Was this because one had been sitting longer than the other? Rich posted the link about the breaking down, or my thoughts the curing of the glue etc.

We live in Texas year round. When it gets to close to 100 degrees plus and we haven't aired out the RV I can still smell a faint hint of the formaldehyde in our RV, our rig is a 2006 model. Am I worried....we all die of something so I will continue to enjoy ours and worry about the cost of diesel. Worrying about the cost of diesel might kill me long before the formaldehyde.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #28
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We installed new carpeting in a rental we owned and it took weeks of airing out the house before the formaldeyde smell was gone. I still think the lack of windows for ventilation in the FEMA trailers had a lot to do with the problem.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote