Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hitches that fit the Bedsaver?

I am trying to figure out what hitch to get to pull my Big Sky. I have a long bed Ford so don't need a slider. I want to get a hitch that will go with a Bedsaver, and that is creating problems for me.

The Big Sky has a GVWR of 16,100#, so I was trying to go with an 18K hitch for a safety margin. Turns out the only 18K hitches that can take a Bedsaver are some of the 18K Reese/Draw-tite/Hidden Hitch hitches--but it's unclear which ones. The Bedsaver Application Guide says that the Bedsaver fits the following non-slider Reese hitches--15K "Pro Series", 14K, 15K and 16K "Classic" hitches, and something just labeled "18K, 20K and 22K "hitches." But I can't determine just what those 18K hitches are.

The two Blue Ox people I talked to didn't know which series of Reese hitches were the 18K hitches their Bedsavers fit and suggested I call the Reese people, which I did. The Reese people tell me that the "Select" series has replaced the "Classic" series but couldn't tell me if the Select series 18K hitch is the one that can take the Bedsaver. Color me puzzled!!

I'm guessing that the Reese/Draw-Tite Select series is the one that fits the Bedsaver and that if the 15K or 16K Select hitches can handle the Bedsaver that the 18K Select series can also handle the Bedsaver, but I'd like to find out if anyone has a Bedsaver attached to a 15K or 16K Reese/Draw-Tite Select series hitch. If so, do they go together OK?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I have a 2005 F350, Long Box, Crew Cab, with a Reese Select Series, 20K and Bed Saver. It works great for me. If you're pulling a Big Sky I'd go with the 20K, the base is a lot stronger, the mounting kit uses 6 bolts (I thing the 18K and smaller use 4 bolts) to bolt the rails to the frame mounts, and it only costs a little more to buy.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dennis--thanks for the info on your Reese hitch and the suggestion about getting a 20K hitch.

I see that you also have the F350 long bed crew cab 4x4. In light of comments others have made about problems with their Monty sitting too high in trucks with 4x4, can you tell me in which holes you have your hitch set and how much lower your Reese 20K Select hitch can go if you put it in its lowest setting?

Also, can you tell me how high the handle of your Reese 20K hitch sits and whether it would have to be disconnected or bungeed down in order to fit a rollup tonneau cover over it?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
David - The top bolts are in the third holes from the top. The bottom bolts are in the third holes from the bottom, if that makes sense. If you click on the "tinypic" link in my signature line you'll see a broadside picture of my truck and trailer in a level parking lot. The picture was taken when the trailer was empty and at it's lightest. The rear of the truck is high. When the trailer is loaded up the rear of the truck squats to just slightly above level. So I'm real happy about the way the truck, hitch, pin box and trailer mate up.

The hitch is not in the truck at this time so I can't answer your last question with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure everything is well below the bed sides. Looking at that same "tinypic" I can't see any of the hitch and the bottom of the pin box looks to be well below the bed sides. I'll try to remember to go out and measure everything tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
Look into the Super 5th hitches.

http://pullrite.com/super5_20.htm
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--I was considering the Pullrite hitch until I checked the info on the Bedsaver and found that the only Pullrite hitches listed by Bedsaver as compatible were the 15.5K and 16K Pullrite hitches. Any idea whether the Pullrite 20K Super 5th hitch has the same mounting holes needed for the Bedsaver as the 15.K and 16K Pullrite hitches?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I know I saw a fella with the Super 5th who had the bedsaver. I would have sworn he had the 20K, but I could be wrong. The only thing I can suggest is calling Pullrite and asking one of their reps. Here is the phone number~ 1-877-PULLRITE or 574-259-1520.

I also had a chance to look at the new Big Sky this past weekend. Nice coach....
Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--I called the PullRite people as you suggested. While the gal I talked to didn't know anything about the Bedsaver, she said the 20K Super hitch was built with a solid frame that didn't have the bolt holes in it that the 15K and 16K hitches had. Without those bolt holes, I assume it wouldn't be possible to bolt on the Bedsaver. Or am I missing something here?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I had to do a little research to find the "bolt holes" you were referring to. You are right, only the 16k has them which means the 20K and 25K hitch would not work for the application you want. The Super 5th hitch I saw with the Bedsaver must have been a 16K Super 5th. Sorry to lead you down a dead end path...
Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--I appreciate your taking the time and effort to pass on your thoughts on the Pullrite and to do that follow-up research. Pull-rite was one of the hitches I was looking at seriously until the Bedsaver issue ruled it out. Sort of a good news-bad news kind of thing---sorry that some good hitches got ruled out because they were not compatible with the Bedsaver, but the compatibility issue has helped me to narrow down my choice of hitch, so that's the good news---so many decisions to make as a newbie that i appreciate whatever helps me to make those decisions.

We are supposed to get our Big Sky in early April--I'll let you know how that turns out.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I called the number on the Bedsaver site, and they were very helpful. They can tell you which model fits on what hitch. They gave me the correct model number to order, and I ordered it from a local dealer and picked it up. Good Luck to you!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
whats a bedsaver?
bsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey Bob,
I asked the same thing just a few weeks ago..LOL Someone posted a hyperlink to show one, and I thought I kept it, but I can't find it now. Anyway, I'm sure they'll be along soon to give it to you. But, it sits in the bed of the truck, behind the hitch. It will "catch" the 5er if it's not hooked up correctly when you go to pull out. It will save the rails on your truck from getting damaged when the 5er drops. Personally, I believe that doing a pull test would do just as well, but if they make something, people will buy it...LOL I ALWAYS lift the legs just slightly, then do a pull test before I head out....just common sense.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Common sense to do a pull test? You bet! Do I ALWAYS remember to do it? Not a chance. Am I easily distracted by others when hooking up? Oh yes. Does a $180.00 bed saver sound like cheap insurance over a repair bill that could amount to thousands of dollars? Hmmm, let me think a second on that. Do I feel safer with it? Yes, and I guess that's what really matters.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=231