Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks

Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome. I've been reading your posts for the last couple of days and just want to let you all know you have a great place here, I'm sure this is not news to you. We bought a 2006 model 3000 Saturday from Jack Sizemore Traveland in Amarillo, Tx. We got a great deal, partially because it's last years model, and partially because the dealership was extremely easy to get along with. Everyone, from the owner to the salespeople were very friendly and went out of their way to make this deal work for us. It's our first RV of any kind, and after reading the posts here, I believe we made the right decision with the Monty. I pick it up Wednesday when they get the reciever hitch installed for the boat and our other toys. We are so excited it's hard to sleep at night.Hope to see some of you around now and then.

Lonnie W. Bussey

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Lonnie and Vanessa! I agree you made a good choice with the Montana. And that new 3000 is a beautiful model. It was a new model for 2006. Hopefully we'll see you on the road sometime, somewhere. Or maybe you can make one of the regional or international rallies. The next rally is coming up in late September, in Indiana, near the factory. There also will be a bunch of our members in the Rio Grande Valley this winter. They always have at least a couple of get togethers. And all are welcome, whether wintering in the RGV or not.

Enjoy the forum and the new Montana!

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great to have another Texan on the road in a Monty. Welcome aboard. I would suggest you check into the effect on your warranty when you add a receiver hitch to the Monty's tail. You probably need to check out the laws in any state you choose to travel about the legality of the length and number of your towed equipment. There are limitations imposed by statute. Happy RVing...

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Thanks for the suggestions Stiles, According to the dealer, the reciever hitch will have no bearing on the warranty as long as caution is used in regard to weight. Here in New Mexico the length limit is 72 feet, Texas is 65, and Louisiana is 75. The only place I've encountered length problems was in Oregon with a 34' flatbed gooseneck pulling a 24' bumperpull flatbed with a 22" TV. I will check the laws in states I will be traveling in before I enter though. The deal in Oregon was expensive and very time consuming.

Lonnie
Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
In Texas they seldom enforce it, but it is illegal to pull 2 items. I've seen several folks pulling a TT and a boat.

Here's a chart - don't know how accurate since it's not "official":
http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html

1999 F250 SD/SC V-10 Lariat
2000 Montana Mountaineer TT 305FKS
'92 GMC Conversion Van - 350TBI
Weatherford, TX
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
It is illegal in Washington to tow 2 trailers such as a boat and FW. Even professional trucking companies have to drop the second trailer at the "gate" and arrange for pick up by another truck. Overall length isn't the issue.

I am always surprised to see 2 rigs behind a truck in pictures and on the road in other states. Big discussion among RVers here about whether to buy a motorhome so you can tow a boat or to buy a trailer so you can drive your TV when you get set up in camp.

Cheri
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Thanks for the chart VanMan it looks like a pretty good guideline even if it isn't "official". I agree with you on Texas seldom enforcing the 2 trailer law. I have pulled 2 all over the state doing construction and have never had a problem. Maybe because I steer clear of big cities and high traffic areas unless there is no alternative. I also never, ever pull 2 TT's.

Lonnie
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That site may be mostly accurate but I see they are still (have been for a long time) wrong about Kansas. It is legal to tow two trailers in Kansas so long as one of them is not by ball (not counting the horse trailer type ball). In other words, boat behind a fifthwheel is legal. I towed that combination in Kansas for several years and checked before doing it. Length in Kansas is 65'. They got that correct.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
In Calif it is more by county. Don't come to So.Cal. but you can go to some counties in No. Cal.
Happy trails..................................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
In calif you can pull a 5'er and another trailer anywhere in the state so long as it is 75 feet or less and you have a doubles triples endorsement on your lic. I drive truck here and it is legal as long as you follow these guidelines can be longer on the interstate but you can't leave them except for the places that have a blue sign posted with a T or a S route on them t for truck route and S for service hope this helps a little

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lonnie,
Congrats on your new Montana. I hope it becomes everything you wanted it to be!!!

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
Congratulations on your new 3000rk. We bought a 2007 3000rk 3 weeks ago and love it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.

Pat
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:25 AM   #13
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Congrats and welcome to the forum! You will find many friendly people and lots of valuable resources here. Have fun and be safe!

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote