Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #21
ejerni
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24555
The only thing I see on their website is a MH towing a jeep towing a small trailer. Even with them selling those, doesn't make it legal in all states on a 5er.

ejerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #22
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejerni View Post
The only thing I see on their website is a MH towing a jeep towing a small trailer. Even with them selling those, doesn't make it legal in all states on a 5er.

Those Smart trailers or the Idaho Totes have two connection points to the vehicles ahead and are treated as an extension of the frame and not a separate trailer. If you click on the links in the Smart trailers, there are two couplers rather than a single traditional coupler. There is no horizontal articulation. The coupler pair allows for vertical moving only. The Smart trailer has a pivoting axle for turning. The Idaho tote does it similarly.

You would still be limited to the overall vehicle length for you combination in each state you travel. Since you're in Nevada, under a Class C combination, it's 70ft.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #23
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacobs3791RD View Post
Does anyone know the actual reasoning in some of the models (specifically the 3791RD) not having the 3k tow hitch? If you’ve looked at Montanas side by side, I would feel more comfortable towing with the way the receiver is welded to the frame of mine vs. one that was rated for towing. I’m not an expert, and make no claim to be. I had a local reputable shop look at mine to strengthen it or replace it, as I would like to pull a small trailer with a golf cart. After looking at it, they didn’t see any reason to replace or strengthen it. I don’t specifically know the model specs with 300lb ratings and models with 3k, but do you think it has more to do with overall weight of the rig, not build or strength of the actual hitch? Thoughts?
I think the issue would be you have a storage drawer in the back. Adding a 3000 pound trail and 300 pound tongue to it, may take too much weight off of your pin and cause an accident
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #24
Greg n Tracy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24154
Does anybody know what Keystone has done, if anything, to "beef up" the framework of the coach to allow the heaver towing capacity of the 2020 over the 2019? we have the 2019 with the 300# receiver, which would be easy enough to upgrade, but as mentioned above, I would hate to rip my 5er in half trying to pull something.
Greg n Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I think the issue would be you have a storage drawer in the back. Adding a 3000 pound trail and 300 pound tongue to it, may take too much weight off of your pin and cause an accident
That could be, but a rack with 300# is still 300# cantilevered off the end of the trailer. You may be right on the reduction in pin weight from the Keystone engineer's perspective. My old Wildcat trailer teeter-tottered with a second trailer in tow. In the brochure, they claimed the 11-13.5k GVWR trailer could be towed with a half ton. What they did to reduce pin weight was move the trailer axles forward. I always hated that feeling of the weight shifting aka chucking. With the Montana, It's smooth and I don't notice the weight shift with my jet ski trailer back there. It's just long!

If I didn't put disc brakes on the Montana, I wouldn't double tow. The 7k electric drums just don't have the stopping power.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #26
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Towed a 14’ boat fro Key Largo to Charleston SC and was passed by every conceivable police enforcement type and never a second glance. Maybe just lucky?
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #27
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Don't forget your length. I think some states are 70 feet some are 65 feet. with a long bed crew cab truck in front of a 41 foot 5er you might be all most 65 feet .
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote