Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Nu Finish was on vinyl decals?

So Nu Finish wax instructions say not to use on vinyl etc.
Does that mean NONE WHATSOEVER!
What does it do to the decals?
I tested an area this afternoon and before I remembered - I waxed over a small section of decals. Do I need to start worrying? How do you get it off?

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
NuFinish has some abrasives in it so over use will cause the Decal colors to fade. There are way better poducts out there than nufinish. That is the problem with All in One sealers or waxes that clean and protect at the same time. Each of those steps should be done separately. You should use a clay bar to clean them apply a non abrasive sealer.

Look at Meguiar's M2116 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 it is a M21 is an inert, non-abrasive synthetic coating

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...=thedrive09-20

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
So with the "clear coat" Camping World applied on my trailer, do I need to wax it?
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesmith View Post
So with the "clear coat" Camping World applied on my trailer, do I need to wax it?
Yes Full Body Paint requires protection to keep it looking good. I also have FBP).

Camping world did not install a clear coat they installed a synthetic sealant which is good for about 1 year.

Actually you do not want to WAX anything, as wax is a plant based product and only last 3 months or so (it breaks down fast). You want to use a synthetic sealant which last 3-4 times longer then natural carnuba's. Sealants generally last 8-16 months depending on climate and exposure. I clay bar once per year then add a sealant which is a wipe on wipe off process (much easier than wax. Since nearly all the surface on and RV are vertical surfaces they do not take the beating that say the roof or hood of a car does, so yo should in most cases get 12 months plus protection.

If you want serious protection use a Ceramic coating which in a vertical surface will provide protection for a few years. That is what I am doing this year. That definitely require clay bar cleaning as all wax and sealants must be removed before application of a Ceramic coating.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Lightsout, I agree but the front cap does take a beating. I use sealants and spritz for tune ups. But with all the caustic bug guts and subsequent washing, I havent found anything that lasts more than a few months.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Lightsout, I agree but the front cap does take a beating. I use sealants and spritz for tune ups. But with all the caustic bug guts and subsequent washing, I have not found anything that lasts more than a few months.
Since Caps are almost always painted which makes it less porous than the sides treat it like car paint. If you use a ceramic coating that will

1. last more than a year
2. Make cleaning bugs much easier.

The other option while spendy is a Paint Protection wrap like 3M or Xpel. I have a 2018 Black Jeep Wrangler last year we did 1500 miles of Trails and dirt/gravel forest service roads. I have a full body wrap and my black paint today still looks like it rolled off the line.

Ceramic coating are easy to DIY and that is a game changer...

Also if you are using sealers put on 203 coats at a time that will extend the life on areas that take a beating.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Also if you are using sealers put on 203 coats at a time that will extend the life on areas that take a beating.[/QUOTE]

203 coats! Of course, you’ll most likely die of exhaustion before you get done, but if you don’t the camper will be protected for eternity
Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This thread has been helpful to me...learning lots of new stuff.
Lightsout- I do appreciate the info and recommendations.
Before this thread I had never heard of “clay bar”...besides the Clay Barr that played short stop on my high school team. I watched a YouTube video and now I understand clay bar.

I took “203 coats” as a typo for “2 or 3 coats” - my shoulders will not make it thru 2 or 3 coats.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
This thread has been helpful to me...learning lots of new stuff.
Lightsout- I do appreciate the info and recommendations.
Before this thread I had never heard of “clay bar”...besides the Clay Barr that played short stop on my high school team. I watched a YouTube video and now I understand clay bar.

I took “203 coats” as a typo for “2 or 3 coats” - my shoulders will not make it thru 2 or 3 coats.
SO if you claybar once a year and then apply sealer you will be good for many years as long as you do it yearly however if you say skip a year or two and allow oxidation to take hold it will be a lot of work to remove the oxidation,

Clay bar is easy I can do our entire 3791RD in probably 2 hours (3 Max) same for sealers as they apply easy just wipe on wait 1 min and wipe off, there is no pressure required for either step. Note with clay bar and Sealer never do circular motions keep all motions straight (NO wax on, wax off Daniel son)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #10
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I have clay bared my vehicles and am sold on it. Easy and really smooths the surface in preparation for wax. Haven't tried it on unpainted fiberglass. Does it work on fiberglass?
As far as waxing camper with out getting any on decals is almost impossible. You would have to apply wax with a Q-tip.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #11
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Clay Bar removes wax and dirt. So after using a clay bar you need to seal or wax the surface. You cant do any of this in the sun. You need to use a clay bar spray with your clay bar. Here is something I have used in the past. Worked great.
https://www.chemicalguys.com/exterio...-bar-and-kits/
Get the kit you will need more than one clay bar depending how dirty and I think after 30' the clay bar may be to dirty to use twice. I think you can use it on gell coat but ask the company a question and they should be able to answer.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
The problem with Nu Finish polish is that it contains petroleum distillates that will penetrate vinyl graphics and cause cracking and fading. It would be best to treat the vinyl decals first with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Spray on/wipe off. Then 303 would repel any wax over sprayed or wiped onto the decal. Just my 2 cents.
edmck is offline   Reply With Quote