Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #21
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
At a campground in Florida, a lighting strike hit the pylon between 2 RV's. One had an EMS that totally blew apart but nothing was damaged in the unit. The other RV had no EMS and everything electrical in the camper was toast. They were stuck there for weeks while circuit boards for everything were ordered, delivered and replaced. Enough said.

SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #22
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
I have a Surge Guard 34951 that I use on my 381th. If your surge protector indicates a problem, trust it and do not bypass it. Check with the camp host and see if they can bring someone in to make necessary repairs. When I plug my surge protector in it will test the circuit I am attempting to connect to. It will not allow power to my RV if there is a problem. It will also shut down power should a problem occur and in the event of a power “blink” it will shut off power while my A/C units balance pressures before powering back up. I like that my surge protector displays voltages and current on all legs so I know what kind of demand I am putting my electrical system. It will also store any event I have for my reference.

I have been a licensed master electrician for 38 years and have wired a few RV parks as well as made repairs to other RV parks. Anyone who believes a problem cannot occur at any RV park is kidding themselves.

I have made repairs such as bad terminations at power poles, circuit breakers, load centers, distribution panels, crimp and spilt bolt connectors (just to name a few) as well as replaced lateral conductors that have slowly burned apart under ground. I recently did a project in Florida and found dead lizards under circuit breakers in panel boards and found their eggs spread through out the whole electrical system. I have even made repairs at newly wired RV parks where licensed installers failed to terminate conductors properly or installed proper conductor sizes for voltage drop.

I figure should I have an electrical problem while using my surge protector I am covered by Southwire as well as my insurance company.

I do carry a voltage meter with me and can trouble shoot any problem that should arise. I do not recommend anyone not properly trained try to trouble shoot an electrical problem, have the site make repairs or move on down the road if you really need the power.

One other thing, I would still use my surge protector while on generator. I have seen more than one generator have a failure in my life time!
Old 12-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
I have a Surge Guard 34951 that I use on my 381th. If your surge protector indicates a problem, trust it and do not bypass it. Check with the camp host and see if they can bring someone in to make necessary repairs. When I plug my surge protector in it will test the circuit I am attempting to connect to. It will not allow power to my RV if there is a problem. It will also shut down power should a problem occur and in the event of a power “blink” it will shut off power while my A/C units balance pressures before powering back up. I like that my surge protector displays voltages and current on all legs so I know what kind of demand I am putting my electrical system. It will also store any event I have for my reference.

I have been a licensed master electrician for 38 years and have wired a few RV parks as well as made repairs to other RV parks. Anyone who believes a problem cannot occur at any RV park is kidding themselves.

Thanks for your information and contribution to the thread!
I personally like to hear from people who have professional experience in a field. Their experience is invaluable.

We finally had a chance to use our SG 34951 this weekend. Once I got the remote unit paired with the EMS, all was good. It was good information to check in every so often with what the load was on each leg...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #24
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
Your welcome, more than happy to be of help. Not trying to sell products for Southwire, just happened to be the one I chose to go with.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #25
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
Your welcome, more than happy to be of help. Not trying to sell products for Southwire, just happened to be the one I chose to go with.
...and the one that I decide from go with as well.

We've had it for a couple of weeks, but haven't had a chance to go out and use it. Did a test run at home with a 220V outlet, and it worked well.

So far, I'm happy with the SG 34951...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote