Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
For Harmon.al - Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Before every setup and teardown we use checklists. What you say about shattering a recliner makes sense. Checklists help to avoid such disasters. I never move the slides until DW tells me that she has checked everything inside.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
We also use checklists. The learning for me was the illusion I could do it by myself with the remote. Hard to see what has moved into crushing position with the slides in. We no longer slide alone if anything can go wrong.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Whether you use the button inside or the remote it really doesn't make any difference if you're not paying attention to what you're doing.. a couple of years ago I brought the slides in and didn't notice the dining slide struck the ceiling fan and snaped one of the blades in half. Lol. Had to buy and install a new fan. Worked out good since the new one is bigger
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
My LR slide stops when coming in when it hits the glass light surround on the fan and breaks it. I now have globe bulbs and no surrounds.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #25
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
One last comment as to why I quit using the remote for slides. At least when I’m inside I could have seen the recliner move or hear that creak that happens right before the real damage is done. When I was outside, the only thing I noticed was the slide hesitation while it was crushing the recliner. We simply don’t stay in a site that has anything close enough to the slide to hit. Everything to notice from stupidity or just bad luck is inside.

Loved the remote for Landing Gear extension, rear stabilizers or occasional light. Our 2014 Montana didn’t have the remote so the decision not to use was easy.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #26
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
A 2012 Montana came with this style remote. There were several different faceplates depending on the Montana model (don't ask me why, I discovered this when I had to replace mine). I have changed the battery 3 times in 8 years and have never had to re-pair with the "brain" on the garage wall. I don't understand those who say the remote burns batteries. Albeit, I mostly use the remote to adjust the height of the pin who hooking up so maybe only 3 batteries in 8 years is normal?

Attachment 4765
Our 2012 3585SA also had this remote and it worked flawlessly. Was very easy on batteries as I always turned it off after using it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #27
Dan Giacalone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Our 2012 3585SA also had this remote and it worked flawlessly. Was very easy on batteries as I always turned it off after using it.
Thanks everyone. I have it working thanks to you all.
Dan Giacalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #28
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
I really like having one. On ours you have to press the LCI button at the bottom, and then the ON button right above it in order to use it. When the connection is successful, the Scare light on the door side will flash momentarily. Sometimes, I have to do it more than once if it times out between using functions while I'm setting up or closing up. The label on the back says it will time out after 5 minutes.

DrKapp, do you have the model number of the second remote. I just picked up my 2011 3400RL yesterday and the old owner had replaced the original remote with the second one. He didn't have the manual. And somehow when he programed it or whatever he did the slides and awning are reversed and the front and rear jacks are reversed.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #29
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't believe you, as a user, can change the function of a button. What does change is the front template on the remote. I had to order it three times for my 2012 before I got one that the buttons matched the function.

It may be possible to switch the wiring at the "brain" to match your template. But then the physical buttons mat not work the same. I don't know but it is easy to try it out.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #30
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
A 2012 Montana came with this style remote. There were several different faceplates depending on the Montana model (don't ask me why, I discovered this when I had to replace mine). I have changed the battery 3 times in 8 years and have never had to re-pair with the "brain" on the garage wall. I don't understand those who say the remote burns batteries. Albeit, I mostly use the remote to adjust the height of the pin who hooking up so maybe only 3 batteries in 8 years is normal?

Attachment 4765
Carl I just bought my 3400RL it came with this remote. The PO said when he got it and programmed it, he got the awning and slide reversed and the jacks reversed. No paper work on it. Do you have the model number so I can find a manual.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I ordered a new remote from the dealer and they were able to look and see the specifics. They did get it wrong two times before they got me the one that matches the "brain" in my RV. The only difference is the template on the front side. The "wrong" remotes worked fine but you had to know the function of the buttons of the correct one. For example, the "Landing Gear" two buttons are the lower right on the correct remote. On the "wrong" remote the two lower right buttons were labeled "Room" but still operated the "Landing Gear". Not unlike what you are seeing on your remote.

I don't know if there is a different template for you or if the wiring is goofed up. Maybe a dealer can tell you. Anyway here are pictures of the "wrong" remote sent to me. Maybe the Gama Electronics data will help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrong Remote - Front.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	4818

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrong Remote - Back.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4819

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #32
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
DrKapp, do you have the model number of the second remote. I just picked up my 2011 3400RL yesterday and the old owner had replaced the original remote with the second one. He didn't have the manual. And somehow when he programed it or whatever he did the slides and awning are reversed and the front and rear jacks are reversed.
I was digging through my old files and found the pdf that's attached. Hopefully it helps some
Attached Files
File Type: pdf remote instructions.pdf (307.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #33
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
I was digging through my old files and found the pdf that's attached. Hopefully it helps some

Thank you drknapp. I don't know if I can fix it. We I push on awing the slides work and when I push jacks the stablizers work. I guess I can just re label it. Since I'm just learning.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD